Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19th Man!

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries

19th Man!

There are some traditions in other sporting cultures that I love. I love the fact that english crowds applaud for a minute, not be silenced, for anyone of club/league note that had passed away. Their jumper/shirt with their number face up resting in the middle of the ground and the person's family standing in unison next to the jumper/shirt.

There is a tradition at the Seattle Seahawk home games (an American NFL football team) that I would love the Swans to adopt. There are 11 players that take the field in the NFL. In Seattle, before each home game, they get a past player to raise the '12th man' flag. It's in the club colours with a big number 12 on it. It signifies that the Seattle crowd/fans are the 12th man and the Seattle crowd/stadium has built a reputation for being the most intimidating venue for visiting teams.
    I'd love to see us intoduce 'the 19th Man Flag' and who better to raise it at our first home game? None other than a past No 19 favourite....Micky O.
    The club could even sell merchandising around the cocept.

Swans Marketing Dept - Make it happen!

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    The Crows already have this and have had it for a long time.
    Adelaide Football Club Membership | - Home
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Senior Player
    If Micky O can't make it, we could perhaps call on another famous 19th man for the Swans - Jesse White

Yeah the "12" is used in 11 a side codes a lot to represent the hardcore fans.

In Argentina the fanatical boca junior fans are called "La Doce" the 12th player.

The naming of "La 12? (the twelfth player), by which Boca Juniors' fans became known, dates back to the year 1925.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    The Crows already have this and have had it for a long time.
    Adelaide Football Club Membership | - Home
    True. I just read the link. However, my thought is that everyone in the crowd supporting the red and white would be represented by the 19th man flag ...and not based upon membership sign up. I'd be interested to know what impact the raising of the flag has had before Adelaide games....as in noise or buy-in. I think that the Crows have watered the concept/impact down by making it another membership package.

Sweet home Novacastria
    Genoa CFC in the Italian Serie A do the same thing. The number 12 is retired for the fans of Gradinata Nord, "the twelfth man"

Prizes for what the"CFC" stands for...no googling!

Blog Entries
    and 19 is not just in our history, its at the start of our history. The club was born on the 19th June 1874.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Swan View Post
    Genoa CFC in the Italian Serie A do the same thing. The number 12 is retired for the fans of Gradinata Nord, "the twelfth man"

Easy for me as I follow Genoa. Cricket & Football Club.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Easy for me as I follow Genoa. Cricket & Football Club.
    Genoa Cricket & Football Club??? Please explain!

Sweet home Novacastria
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Genoa Cricket & Football Club??? Please explain!
    Started as a sporting club for British expatriates living and working in the port city of Genoa.

Goes up to 11
    I vote for 19th non-gender-specific person....

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Swan View Post

Carlton Football Club
    Chlorofluorocarbons

I think it's a bit naff to be honest, very American and quite contrived. Surely we don't need that to fire us up as fans, the old 12th, 14th, 16th or in our case 19th man is a term that is done to death really and is a bit of a cliche

Like the honouring and ex-player element though as it helps strengthen the Melbourne heritage link, perhaps an ex-player (not necessarily an ex South Melbourne player) to toss the coin and be presented to the crowd.

Just my opinion of course.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast