Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Goodes - Australian of the Year!!

Goodes. Amazing man. Greatly deserved

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    Joins some illustrious company with this. He's the fourth indigenous sportsperson after Rose, Goolagong and Freeman. Other indigenous winners included Neville Bonner, Mick Dodson, Galarrwuy Yunupingu, Lowitja O'Donoghue and Yunupingu from Yothu Yindi.

Other sportspeople to win have been Fraser, Gould, de Castella, Taylor, Border, Waugh and Rafter.

Really has done it all has our Goodesy.

Though I wouldn't begrudge him a Norm Smith...

Congratulations. He's class in everything he does.

According to the AFL website, he's the first AFL/VFL player to win AOTY - probably the first footballer from any code.

Goes up to 11
    Fantastic news and his acceptance speech was wonderful too...

Completely deserved... he is so much more than just a footballer, and a fine role model for all Australians! Well Done Goodesy, now for that third Premiership Medallion!!!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

He typifies what the Australian of the Year is all about. An Australian who makes this a better country by the work he does.

A well deserved honour for Adam and my heart felt congratulations to him.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Veterans List
    The SMH Editorial today is pretty inspiring.

No words can do justice to the pride I have in Adam Goodes and the acknowledgement as the Australian of the Year. Congratulations on all the work you have done, are doing and will continue to do that inspire a nation and a generation for change.
    Swannies for life!

Hey Jenny
    Hope you download all this for Adam's scrap book.

NTP

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Jenny
    Hope you download all this for Adam's scrap book.

NTP
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Proud of him but disgusted in most australians online. From facebook to twitter to reddit hiding behind the sportsperson part to have a go at his heritage and question why him. When pointed out they still couldn't get it.

Invasion day makes me sick to my core.

Senior Player
    Well done , Adam !! At the rate he's going , he will be the country's first president .Don't bet against it.

Only downside is that the old ocker joke has been ruined - well , for this year , at least :

News announcer : "Professor John Smith has been named Australian of the Year."
    Ocker viewer "Yair ? Never 'eard of 'im - wot team does 'e play for ,then ?!"

- - - Updated - - -

Well done , Adam !! At the rate he's going , he will be the country's first president .Don't bet against it.

Only downside is that the old ocker joke has been ruined - well , for this year , at least :

News announcer : "Professor John Smith has been named Australian of the Year."
    Ocker viewer "Yair ? Never 'eard of 'im - wot team does 'e play for ,then ?!"

After staying away from the internet for 3 days after a small holiday I've decided to catch up on all news about this and fan reactions. I should be happy but i am extremely upset and well back to feeling depressed.

"sigh..deep breath and think of good things spiffy"

Adam you're a champion, a beautiful man, a huge inspiration for your people and a genuine human being. The first time i watched you play i turned to my then GF and said future swans captain and champion, little did i know that i was watching such an inspired human being. Anyone with a brain and a truck load of empathy would be able to understand why this gentleman won this award. Sadly it seems to be a lot of people who cant and i am afraid adam has his work cut out.

How privileged are we at the swans to have had him for as long as we have.

I need 50 bexs and a week of laying down.

I agree with everything you have said S-D. And having also read some of the disgraceful online comments I understand why you might need. 50 Bex.

Re your comment that Adam is an inspiration to his people: one small anecdote. As I was walking up Oxford Street on my way to a match at the SCG a couple of years ago, a man of indigenous background who had over indulged swayed in front of me. Then seeing my Swans' cap a huge grin spread over his face. 'Go Adam Goodes!' he yelled. I walked off feeling really happy. I so hope the deserved recognition Adam has received brings pride to very many people.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast