Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Blame Swans for COLA scrutiny: Giants

Blame Swans for COLA scrutiny: Giants

Blame Swans for COLA scrutiny: Giants - AFL.com.au

Who is this idiot?

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Happy and I know it
    He's just defining his club's distance from ours. For "start-up" club, read "losing club". If we were bottom of the heap, too, this would hardly be an issue.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Goes up to 11
    Well if we lose the COLA it will be our fault, as losing it would mean we weren't able to get our message across clearly enough. There is a lot of emotion and misinformation about the COLA and how it has been used by the Swans and this has been brought on by two massive signings in two years following some real success on the field. If we can't counter the flawed arguments against the way we've used the COLA then in effect it's the club that has failed in that regard.

We are now one of the cashed-up 'glamour' clubs and we can no longer wring our hands and cry poor when this sort of thing goes down....

I think that's beside the point, jono.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Well if we lose the COLA it will be our fault, as losing it would mean we weren't able to get our message across clearly enough. There is a lot of emotion and misinformation about the COLA and how it has been used by the Swans and this has been brought on by two massive signings in two years following some real success on the field. If we can't counter the flawed arguments against the way we've used the COLA then in effect it's the club that has failed in that regard.

We are now one of the cashed-up 'glamour' clubs and we can no longer wring our hands and cry poor when this sort of thing goes down....
    Don't completely agree with you there Jono, from what I can see the club has worked extremely hard to prove it's point about the COLA, but sometimes, there is just no telling people no matter how hard you try or how much evidence you produce.
    I really can't see the AFL just cutting the COLA out in one foul swoop after the huge fall from grace it brought about at the Lions and believe they will have to honour all current contracts (excluding Franklins, as the AFL clearly warned Sydney that the COLA was on the way out prior to his signing) and that in the future there will be a ceiling.

Sweet home Novacastria
    I think the sensible thing to do with the cola would be capping it at a certain contract size, say $150k. This would give the newly drafted, rookies and 2-3 year players the extra financial support they need in a city like Sydney, while not letting the swans be seen as using it as a "recruiting tool" that the likes of Eddie are parading it as.

Matthews argument is totally counter intuitive to the whole concept of a COLA. He is saying we need it because we are a startup club with no other redeeming features and therefore the COLA is not needed to pay for an additional cost of living but to pay more to players to keep them at our club.

What the AFL should therefore give is an AFLAL allowance (allowance for losing a lot) . Many clubs such as Melbourne etc could then also apply for an AFLAL to ensure that they can also pay players more to come. This would help with the equalisation issue thats currently going on at the AFL as clubs that qualify for an AFLAL will have the money to theorectically buy franklin (hang on GWS already had that didnt they ).

To say that a COLA has something to do with the fact that GWS has no official identifiable home turf and therefore has to play and train all over the place just defies belief and I wonder how he even links the two (and didnt I just see a story that they have some you beaut training facility so they dont have to train all over the place ).

So his point seems to be :
    Its Sydneys fault that good players would rather play for them than us . They shouldnt list manage well but should fall back down the ladder and start losing like the AFL draft system was meant to force clubs to do. While it is more expensive to live in Sydney (the very point of the COLA) , what we need to do is drop it for Sydney as they have been far too successful for their own good and no matter what they do from a list management perspective they need to be crap. If they are crap the fickle Sydney public will stop liking them and will like us instead.

We at GWS dont actually have an identity and we play wherever someone will give us a sniff that they like AFL. We need the COLA because although if you did the stats it would easily be shown that its cheaper to live in western sydney than in the east , the travel cost of training in different locations and playing all over the place means we are infinitely more suited to having a COLA than Sydney AND we are crap so unless you give us the money how can we pay players to come to a club with no identity , no history and no underlying supporter base (as they are all at the Wanderers game).

With that superb reasoning, I can now see what the swans are up against when trying to argue for a COLA if all of the melbourne CEOs think the same way.
    Last edited by Mr Magoo; 27th February 2014 at 09:13 AM.

This is spot on. We will loose COLA because the big clubs in Melbourne are afraid of us and they have enough influence on AFL to make it happened.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Excellent work Mr Magoo - it reads like a script from the Marx Brothers.
    And I think Jewels is right: there's just no telling some people. Andrew Ireland has been crystal clear about the application of the COLA, but an unbiased primary school kid could grasp what Eddie Everywhere and Dave Matthews can't.
    I hope it's not removed completely, our lower-paid players need it to be on a par with their counterparts in the rest of the AFL.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Churlish and deluded. I like this bit:
    "We'll leave them with that argument and we'll argue on our own merits."

The most privileged club ever.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post

The most intelligent post on this site in the last 5 years..... There should be an allowance but the AFL should administer it and it should be to support the lower paid players on the Swans and Giants lists as I'm sure Franklin, Tippett and Goodes (And Scully, Davis & Ward at GWS) are not struggling with the cost of living in Sydney. There should also be a relocation payment made to every young draftee to help them set up in a new state if they move - however they need to repay that money in full if they get "Homesick" in the first 5 years......
    Carn the Southern Power.....

All i hear from melbourne and GWS is WAAAAAAAAAAAAA sniff sniff WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! sniff sniff WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Somebody call GWS a waaaamublance.

Us

the rest of the comp including melbourne

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast