Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: NAB Challenge: Swans v Eagles @ BISP Thursday 27th Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Was there any evidence that Franklin has improved his kicking-for-goal style?
    Probably not. He's 27 so I'd say his style is pretty much set.

Regular in the Side
    Beerman you would not have seen Mitchell as he did not play. On last nights showing I would have to wonder whether Franklin would make the cut into our best 22. He looks so big and also quite ponderous. Perhaps there has been a bit of BS about how enthusiastic he has been in preseason training. I was also wondering that about Jetta last year who looked to have muscled up considerably over 2012 and as a result seemed to have lost some of his lightning pace but then he got injured. Maybe the two are related. Thought some of the kids noticeably Lloyd and Robinson looked pretty good but very disappointed with Lockyer and especially Marsh given the preseason hype about him. Laidler and Derickx look like castoffs from substandard teams and will need to lift considerably. That is a major cause for concern as one is now our number 2 ruckman. A very good reality check last night.

Regular in the Side
    I thought our kicking to our own players was deplorable and I considered whether we were colour blind or not. Coming out of the backline it was pathetic no wonder our forwards didn't see it much more times than not we hit WCE players . Not sure how some would see HG as one of our best his handling and disposal was also poor. I also consider Robinson, Lloyd and Naismith a long way off. Why do we give the rookies a look while we don't give Jones, Ali, Nankervis, Marsh etc game time.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Jesus. Reading these forums I now remember why I told myself to avoid them after a loss.

One game in crappy conditions, missing the bulk of our midfield, and suddenly we have no depth.

Teams rarely hit their straps from round 1 and keep it up all season. We'll have all pistons firing when it counts.
    Its amazing isnt it? I knew it would be like this so i have stayed away but just couldn't help myself. I can just imagine swans haters laughing and going "yes" everytime Lance stuffed up or gave a way a free and could imagine swans fans going "ohh noo we are doomed"

I think due to the "hawks" being so slick after a GF win people are worried BUT the difference with the hawks and us last year coming in as premiers - the hawks played a relative easy Grand Final with no real bruising..we didnt in 2012. The Dawks play a less taxing game.

Hawks dont scare me at all..apply some pressure and they become marsh mellows.

Seriously folks it was our reserve team with a few senior guys playing.

My only concern was our ruck stocks, i think mummy is going to bite us on the arse.

PS LOL at hawks Grand Final recall being about beating Geelong in the final!

I haven't seen the game yet but, given their strong trial wins over us and the Dockers, it'll be interesting to see what kind of effect Simpson has had on the Eagles as we move into the regular season.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Dont bother it was a terrible game.

Hey guys - how'd the game go yesterd.....

oh
    -

At least I can say I was there, and it wasn't as bad as the doomsayers think. At least this year Horse didn't have a hissy fit in the coaches box (it was hysterical last year, everyone turned around and stared - he said (and I quote) Why Won't They Listen!!!).

Look, we had some seniors out there, but not and I repeat NOT our main game changers. The responsibility was left to Shaw (lordy he is LOUD), Mal and Reg (who is not in the leadership group, he just does his job), Hanners who was not brilliant but as dogged as ever. Birdy doing his best to live up to his number 14 number. Smooch has played better. Also on ground were Peb who was sorting out the midfield but even he made a junior mistake, and......ummm.....

Also playing were a few guys who haven't played for a long while, i.e., LRT (everyone cheered when he went near the ball, like riding a bicycle, his timing came back, and even that crap hair do still shines in the dark), Sam (some nice stuff out there, but getting no feed), MikePyke (tapping down but not to advantage because I surmise that our main dasher was eliminated), Jetta who always needs a bit of time to get his timing right, but is still moving like Jetta does, and the almost fearce Gazz, who got so mad at himself for stuffing up a goal opportunity he did something remarkable and redeemed himself.

Buddy was at times double teamed and didn't have the support that the old hands know how to provide automatically but lordy lord he has class. He will be fine. the issues were with the midfield, pure and simple, after Luke was taken to hospital with an eye injury at the end of the 2nd quarter - the Swans bloke near me got a call from the Doc and took off downstairs like a startled hare. They were holding their own until Luke left; not winning, but not losing - in the 3rd things went kinda pear shape

Now I do have some good words to say about Harry Marsh, Lloyd, and Harry Cunningham. they were still at it like dogs over a bone through to the very end. they are competitive and determined. We were smashed in the 3rd quarter, but we were NOT in the fourth. They fought it out.

Dan Robinson had his own family cheer squad so was under even more pressure than some of them. In my opinion he worked hard. Maybe not wonderful, but there is hope!
    Seeing Naismith tackle a bloke to the ground was both terrific and terrifying. He is a big big fella.

So please note, we had not only many second tier players out there, we had newly listed rookies out there playing against the West Coast Eagles, and their midfield looked to be a lot more 'in tune' than our was; more loaded with seniors I would say.

In the row beside us and 'just over there' was Mitch, Teddy, Macca, Kizz, AJ (not looking happy), Jones (Peb clone, I know he wasn't playing, but I so like the look of him), and numerous others. Had the pleasure of Adam Goodes sitting right in front of us with some of his friends. He has a very pleasant energy. Cheered along with the rest of us and groaned too. Biggest cheer of the night went to Allir Allir, and he was sent to the forward line!

It misted rain, the centre of the ground was chopped up before the game started. I have seen much much worse played out there in the past.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I think there is this expectations that even our rookies need to be 1st round picks and play like 3rd year super stars. And the conditions weren't exactly ideal for inexperienced players and those who are returning after a long spell in rehab.

Whats the final verdict on Parker? It looked semi serious. I havent checked any of the reports tbh.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    The handwringing is hysterical. 'Oh no we are doomed'. It's preseason. We were trying stuff. Look at our history. Who gives a crap.
    Preseason is a great opportunity for RWOers to practice the sky is falling mentality so often prevalent on matchday threads.....

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    After we lost Parker we only really had ROK as a contested ball winner. Almost all of the usual inside mids were rested. Bird did pretty well in his first game. We depended a lot on Robinson and Lloyd to move the ball forward, and although they showed some good signs, are still not adept at working the ball under pressure. I can see both doing okay with another year under their belts. Lloyd need to put on a bit of weight and get a bit stronger, but he does a lot of things well. Marsh was well off the pace.

It wasn't a particularly good mix of players for us and we didn't work well as a team. The combination of first up senior players and rookies as well as the wet conditions didn't suit a good hitout at this time of the year.

- - - Updated - - -
    Good summary Ludwig.

I thought the ruck combination was pretty poor, albeit there was not the usual stars to tap down to.

I was worried every time Buddy went near the ball or to ground that he would get injured - it's going to be a long season!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    At least I can say I was there, and it wasn't as bad as the doomsayers think. At least this year Horse didn't have a hissy fit in the coaches box (it was hysterical last year, everyone turned around and stared - he said (and I quote) Why Won't They Listen!!!).

Look, we had some seniors out there, but not and I repeat NOT our main game changers. The responsibility was left to Shaw (lordy he is LOUD), Mal and Reg (who is not in the leadership group, he just does his job), Hanners who was not brilliant but as dogged as ever. Birdy doing his best to live up to his number 14 number. Smooch has played better. Also on ground were Peb who was sorting out the midfield but even he made a junior mistake, and......ummm.....

Also playing were a few guys who haven't played for a long while, i.e., LRT (everyone cheered when he went near the ball, like riding a bicycle, his timing came back, and even that crap hair do still shines in the dark), Sam (some nice stuff out there, but getting no feed), MikePyke (tapping down but not to advantage because I surmise that our main dasher was eliminated), Jetta who always needs a bit of time to get his timing right, but is still moving like Jetta does, and the almost fearce Gazz, who got so mad at himself for stuffing up a goal opportunity he did something remarkable and redeemed himself.

Buddy was at times double teamed and didn't have the support that the old hands know how to provide automatically but lordy lord he has class. He will be fine. the issues were with the midfield, pure and simple, after Luke was taken to hospital with an eye injury at the end of the 2nd quarter - the Swans bloke near me got a call from the Doc and took off downstairs like a startled hare. They were holding their own until Luke left; not winning, but not losing - in the 3rd things went kinda pear shape

Now I do have some good words to say about Harry Marsh, Lloyd, and Harry Cunningham. they were still at it like dogs over a bone through to the very end. they are competitive and determined. We were smashed in the 3rd quarter, but we were NOT in the fourth. They fought it out.

Dan Robinson had his own family cheer squad so was under even more pressure than some of them. In my opinion he worked hard. Maybe not wonderful, but there is hope!
    Seeing Naismith tackle a bloke to the ground was both terrific and terrifying. He is a big big fella.

So please note, we had not only many second tier players out there, we had newly listed rookies out there playing against the West Coast Eagles, and their midfield looked to be a lot more 'in tune' than our was; more loaded with seniors I would say.

In the row beside us and 'just over there' was Mitch, Teddy, Macca, Kizz, AJ (not looking happy), Jones (Peb clone, I know he wasn't playing, but I so like the look of him), and numerous others. Had the pleasure of Adam Goodes sitting right in front of us with some of his friends. He has a very pleasant energy. Cheered along with the rest of us and groaned too. Biggest cheer of the night went to Allir Allir, and he was sent to the forward line!

It misted rain, the centre of the ground was chopped up before the game started. I have seen much much worse played out there in the past.
    I think our most dangerours forward this year could be Garry Rohan. The poblem for opposition teams have is they will use there three best defenders to cover Tippett, Franklin and Reid. Who will be left to take Garry Rohan? The Swans could even develop strategies to isolate Rohan deep forward against the weaker defenfer. Buddy and Reid are very comfortable playing up the ground! Rohan is also a more accurate set shot at goal than Reid, Buddy and even Tippett!

As for Goodes we'll see if he can get back and have an impact!

I thought Naismith did some encoraging things last night, particuarly that tackle in the back half. Allir first touch was even encouraging. LRT was solid and will be a handy 3rd tall defender to help Grundy and Richards. Rampe got alot of the ball, attacked the contest with confidence, but needs that lovely left foot to be more accurate. ROK got alot of the ball in a good display.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast