Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for the Pies

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Depends on how far down the list you go. Lloyd, Robinson, Perris, Jones are all small, running type players. None has the speed of Jetta (or even BJ or Cunningham) but they are all small running players. It's questionable whether Towers is small but he's about the same height as Biggs and he is certainly quick (ala BJ or Cunningham).
    My point is that all of these are a long way off AFL standard, let alone playing valuable roles in assisting us winning us a flag.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    My point is that all of these are a long way off AFL standard, let alone playing valuable roles in assisting us winning us a flag.
    Says who? They've not been given a shot yet. Lloyd and Robinson, in particular, played some darned good footy last year. Towers needs to get more involved but has some good attributes, and he's the kind of player that might find it easier to make an impact in the more structured nature of a senior team than in the reserves, where the team tends to be made up of whoever is available and has lots of players rotating in an out.

Jones I can definitely see playing some senior footy later in the year, while Perris was close to BOG for the Swans in the NEAFL grand final last year. He might be a bit small at the moment, but there are plenty smaller playing for other teams.

Senior Player
    Clearly we need jack in there with Kennedy on the inside. I would also leave ROK in the starting team. His experience combined with macca was lacking on the weekend. Also think we need to bring Derickx in to support pyke in the ruck. That means LRT out. And I would leave Cunningham out even though I thought he had a decent enough game. I was tempted to leave Rohan out but I think his potential is huge and he needs to game time in the seniors. Reid was quiet on the weekend but he has looked very good in the preseason and buddy needs him up front. Long term when tipper comes back I think tippet buddy in the forwards with tippet backing up pyke. I think Reid plays swing for LRT and probably then don't need laidler down the back. That gives room for goodes and can play with jetta Rohan and Cunningham to provide that outside run.

And most importantly we have to get back that freo style never five up intensity that was missing. In reality I think missed to old wise heads of Bolton and ROK In the midfield both coming out of defence and also for our forward entries. It's easy to underestimate the decision making abilities and calmness that those experienced heads bring

What we need is another ruckman to take the heat off the Moose. He needs to be able to spend 20% in hte ruck and the rest ranging around the goal square, at least until Tippett comes back. If AJ ends up on the LTI, elevate Perris for some more midfield depth, the sooner we get a few games ointo this kid the better
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

No doubt Pyke needs assistance but as it stands, I doubt anyone has great confidence in Derickx, Naismith or Nankervis. Maybe we can sneak by with one of them until Tippett's ready to go. Either way, it's hardly ideal.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    No doubt Pyke needs assistance but as it stands, I doubt anyone has great confidence in Derickx, Naismith or Nankervis. Maybe we can sneak by with one of them until Tippett's ready to go. Either way, it's hardly ideal.
    I think Derickx looked okay in the trial games. So id give him a go. The other option is to go straight to Naismith. I think he is our future ruck man and he's huge so maybe we bite the bullet and get him match hardened in the afl like collingwood have done with Brodie Grundy

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    The other option is to go straight to Naismith. I think he is our future ruck man and he's huge so maybe we bite the bullet and get him match hardened in the afl like collingwood have done with Brodie Grundy
    Yep +1. Its gotta happen sometime.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    True, it's not ideal, but it's a better choice than using LRT in the ruck.
    And I like GS's notion about Perris, going purely on reports and not having seen him, but if he is as exceptional as we are led to believe, we could use him.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    And I like GS's notion about Perris, going purely on reports and not having seen him, but if he is as exceptional as we are led to believe, we could use him.
    So what is your suggestion about the ruck instead of LRT. Who would you put in as a second ruck man

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Perris is a very talented player, but from what I've seen in my random meanderings of NEAFL on and off last year, he still looks a bit off a debut in the top level, let alone making a big impact. It will come with time though I think.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    So what is your suggestion about the ruck instead of LRT. Who would you put in as a second ruck man
    I would grit my teeth and pick Dertitrickx. I know he hasn't impressed people yet, but he is big and experienced. His profile says (in typical Swans fashion) that the coaches aren't expecting great things from him and that they simply want him to play a role. That role would be providing some sort of real contest in the ruck, which I think is beyond LRT now, as well as supporting MikePyke and occasionally releasing him forward, where we know he can do a lot of damage.
    Nankervis looks a good prospect, as does Naismith, but they are both quite young, especially in ruckman terms, and we need to keep nurturing/pushing them along a graded path of development. I don't think there is anything to be gained by putting them into the firsts at this stage, but I'd like to see them given a taste later in the season if warranted, or early next season.
    As for Perris, I defer to those who have seen him, and maybe Brandon Jack could be given some more firsts game time. I like what I've heard from others about Perris and perhaps he too might get a bit of a taste this season as we (I hope) rotate our mids so they're ready at the business end of the year.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    I don't know. It could actually quite interesting to see Naismith against Brodie Grundy. Both young and big

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast