Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Game Day Thread; Swans v Crows

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    How many HTA did Tom have?
    According to the Advertiser his percentage was 39%. Can't remember the total number they credited him with - somewhere in the late teens. Jacobs and Pyke each had more hit-outs, both with a to-advantage percentage in the low 20s.

Veterans List

Senior Player
    HTA depends on not only the ruckman , but also his understanding with his on-ballers . which may take time. And to some degree , luck.
    I know the foregoing is stating the obvious , but my first question about a ruckman would not be "What are his HTA stats?" , but "Can he provide a good contest?"

No , he's not Mummy or Bally , but so far , Tom looks a decent pick-up.

Home from Adelaide this afternoon and can throw in a few observations.
    - We had tickets via the Swans' allocation and were up in the new stand at the River end. The view was very good but it was really hot. Once you got out from the protection of the stand, the weather was very pleasant, but all hints of a breeze were blocked by the stand. I wouldn't want to be sitting there for a Test match when it's 40 degrees! (Only 22 yesterday)
    - The ground being in the city is excellent. The atmosphere around town was great and the Crows fans were good natured before and after. There does seem to be a lot more divide within the city now between Crows and Power fans though
    - I have no idea what the music was that the Crows ran out to, but it wasn't their song. They were never going to win after that.
    - After every goal, there's the sound of a giant crow calling and a black crow appears on the scoreboard. It's bloody annoying and really tacky. I was channelling Graham Kennedy's crow call very early on.
    - We played well. I know Adelaide faded badly, although they were 3 down by then too, but I think our pressure had a lot to do with that. Parker was clearly BOG but others here have already correctly identified the other strong players. I though we actually received the benefit of the umpiring calls on the day too, which my friends and I found to be a strange sensation!

Overall it was a trip well worth doing, and obviously the result helped with that feeling quite a bit. It was probably hard to hear on TV, but our little band of away fans was making a lot of noise throughout. We ended up being on the coverage right at the end apparently. I'm the guy they showed who was standing up applauding them off.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    According to the Advertiser his percentage was 39%. Can't remember the total number they credited him with - somewhere in the late teens. Jacobs and Pyke each had more hit-outs, both with a to-advantage percentage in the low 20s.
    Thanks. I think his total hitouts was 18

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    HTA depends on not only the ruckman , but also his understanding with his on-ballers . which may take time. And to some degree , luck.
    I know the foregoing is stating the obvious , but my first question about a ruckman would not be "What are his HTA stats?" , but "Can he provide a good contest?"

No , he's not Mummy or Bally , but so far , Tom looks a decent pick-up.
    Thanks I was just curious that's all. I watched the game so saw what he did. He certainly looked better than last week where he looked pretty ineffective.

Derrickx had a bad patch during the second quarter where he was constantly pushed off the ball. Needs to add a bit more physical presence to his game. But hes pretty quick for a ruckman and came back well in the last quarter.

Veterans List
    Oops, I wonder if he's sorry he wrote this before this weekend?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/is-...-1226869225625

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Home from Adelaide this afternoon and can throw in a few observations.
    - We had tickets via the Swans' allocation and were up in the new stand at the River end. The view was very good but it was really hot. Once you got out from the protection of the stand, the weather was very pleasant, but all hints of a breeze were blocked by the stand. I wouldn't want to be sitting there for a Test match when it's 40 degrees! (Only 22 yesterday)
    - The ground being in the city is excellent. The atmosphere around town was great and the Crows fans were good natured before and after. There does seem to be a lot more divide within the city now between Crows and Power fans though
    - I have no idea what the music was that the Crows ran out to, but it wasn't their song. They were never going to win after that.
    - After every goal, there's the sound of a giant crow calling and a black crow appears on the scoreboard. It's bloody annoying and really tacky. I was channelling Graham Kennedy's crow call very early on.
    - We played well. I know Adelaide faded badly, although they were 3 down by then too, but I think our pressure had a lot to do with that. Parker was clearly BOG but others here have already correctly identified the other strong players. I though we actually received the benefit of the umpiring calls on the day too, which my friends and I found to be a strange sensation!

Overall it was a trip well worth doing, and obviously the result helped with that feeling quite a bit. It was probably hard to hear on TV, but our little band of away fans was making a lot of noise throughout. We ended up being on the coverage right at the end apparently. I'm the guy they showed who was standing up applauding them off.
    I sat in the eastern stand in the last bay of the 1st tier (339) and it was very hot as well. Will be an awesome ground for night matches, might have to try and get over for the port gaming later in the year.

As for the crow sound after each of their goals - talk about annoying haha! Its not a very scary sounding crow I must say - a bit like their team, all sqawk but not so much action per say!

Honestly it things like this that give me the @@@@s. The AFL media doesn't rate our team and never really has. When we won the premiership in 2005 they rationalised that obviously it wasn't becasue of the players they had deemed in the off-season to be rejected, second-hand nobodies. No, it was becasue of this intangible, mythical culture - some big Sydney secret they weren't privy to that revealed its full capacity on grand final day.

Fast forward 7 year and, what? The Swans, who we didn't take seriously, not only make the grand final, but have the audacity to win against off-season favourites and champion, elite, professional, clinical (every superlative under the sun) media darling Hawthorn! OMG its that fabled 'Bloods Culture' again! How else could they have done it?!?!

To every media twat who feels entitled to speak about our culture and the state of our club let me just say @@@@ you. You don't know who we are, you don't know a thing about us and you certainly don't know what makes us. Frankly, you can take your false concern, condescending disapproval, and whatever agenda that's emboldened you into slandering our club, and shove it right back up the @@@@ hole you emerged from.

That rant has been trapped in me for weeks.

Brilliant. HOw many things can you get wrong in one story?

The Crow caw thing is kind of dumb, but it's just part of the entertainment, like the old 'Show 'em Sydney' refrain. The only thing that spoilt the occasion for me was the Crowcentric ground announcements and the quarterly 'highlights' which were in fact just the Crows 'highlights'. What's the point of that?

The Lindsay Head Tavern in the back of the RIverbank stand is a great place to have a drink after the game overlooking the city and wait for the traffic jam on the footbridge to dissolve.

Veteran Site Admin
    I am a little surprised that the Age's Ashley Porter could have watched the game and not decided that Luke Parker was one of the best five players on the ground!

Age Footballer of the Year: Round 3 votes