Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5 versus Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Weather. Injured players coming back in. Teams will peak at different times in a year. Also take into account that keeping the same players will lift their confidence and help the team gel a bit. Dropping the veterans too hastily will cause disunity and will send a message that the coaches are panicking.

I swear this Einstein quote is the bane of my existence. One of the most misquoted quotes of all time.
    Lucky for NM that only we had to play in the rain, and that their injured midfielders, Swallow and Ziebell, aren't all that good anyway.

I would love to know the real quote. Please advise.

Any predictions when ROK will be peaking? I can hardly wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Out - Shaw, ROK, Mitchell, Tom D
    In - Towers, Toby N, Bird, B. Jack

Roles:

- LRT to play as a defensive forward on Michael Johnson. Don't give him any offensive space and drag him out of the play.
    - Rohan to tag Nat Fyfe. Rohan is physically well suited to Fyfe,and needs to follow good players around. It's time we stop focussing on his leg, and tell him he is a supreme athlete, with a big roll to play.
    - BJ in Subs Vest to provide impact.
    - Toby N can't do any worse than Tom D and will value the experience. Make sure he is always opposed to Zack Clarke and not Sandilands.
    - We are playing all speedy players on our list, so there tackling pressure needs to be huge.
    That isn't all the speedy players on our list; Biggs, Dick, Towers, Robbo. They are the others & when he likes Zac Jones is pretty quick too. George Hewitt is just smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    That isn't all the speedy players on our list; Biggs, Dick, Towers, Robbo. They are the others & when he likes Zac Jones is pretty quick too. George Hewitt is just smooth.
    I'm with you on this one Wolf. And think that Hewitt will be a regular in our midfield next year. Will be better than Tom Mitchell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would love to know the real quote. Please advise.
    9 Albert Einstein Quotes That Are Totally Fake | Gizmodo Australia

Goes up to 11
    So have we gone from 2nd or 3rd favourites for the flag to having to dump a bunch of players in order to 'play the kids' and enter the dreaded 'rebuilding phase' after 3 terrible performances?

Hopefully Tippett is rushed back as soon as possible as he is the all-important missing piece of our forward set up. If he's not ready for this week we may need to bring in Membrey to give us a forward target. Either one will at least give another target up forward to take a small bit of heat off Buddy and hopefully allow him to push a bit higher up the ground and create a bit more. Buddy is not a key forward in the Tippett sense and I see his role changing as soon as Tippett, and eventually Reid, come back in.

Bird is the only other in that we need this week. We've missed him.

Oh one more in for this week - decent weather for the weekend please.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Hopefully Tippett is rushed back as soon as possible...
    Hopefully no injured player is rushed back into the team. If he's fit that's another story.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -- Ludwig

Fixed

My solution for the problem of nobody at FF is to play Membrey there. I don't give a rat's bum if he is not tall enough, nor is Jack Darling. Membrey is 189cm & Darling 191cm. They play a similar sort of game and Timbo is getting plenty of it at the moment. So my ins & outs are;

Out; Shaw, ROK, LRT, Derrickx (we lack skill, pace & endurance. I think the first three may have played a bit too long. The last is not quite up to it.)

In; Membrey, Biggs, Bird, Aliir.

I would also think about Mitchell's form and Lloyd would be a good swap. The reason for Aliir is that he can play back while Reg goes forward & if that doesn't work he is capable of playing a defensive forward role on Johnston. He is quick, has good ball handling skills and is developing a really good working relationship with Shane Biggs. He can also play second ruck. If not then bring Naismith in as he is the one killing them in the Twos.

I've got 4 of yesterday's players in my sights, because I don't see them as part of our side next year:

Derickx: Worth a shot because of the uncertainty of who would replace Pyke in case of injury. I think we have a few better alternatives. Had his 15 minutes of fame (photos with Buddy and Hanners).

ROK: Great player for a long time. Shame about not making 300 games. Deserves it. But he's playing like a statue. Can't see how that's going to change.

Shaw: He still does a lot of good things, and is a real leader at the club. But his error rate continues to grow. Prefer to see someone in our future in his spot.

LRT: Another favourite of near legend status. He can probably continue to fill holes if needed, but I think we have better options.

We have 4 players that will come into the side to take these spots when they are fit: Bird, Reid, Tippett and Goodes.

I've got Grundy in my sights as well, but we have too many injuries to KPPs to put much pressure on his spot.

Hanners and Mitchell are way down from mid season 2013, but we need these guys for our future.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    My solution for the problem of nobody at FF is to play Membrey there. I don't give a rat's bum if he is not tall enough, nor is Jack Darling. Membrey is 189cm & Darling 191cm. They play a similar sort of game and Timbo is getting plenty of it at the moment. So my ins & outs are;

Out; Shaw, ROK, LRT, Derrickx (we lack skill, pace & endurance. I think the first three may have played a bit too long. The last is not quite up to it.)

In; Membrey, Biggs, Bird, Aliir.

I would also think about Mitchell's form and Lloyd would be a good swap. The reason for Aliir is that he can play back while Reg goes forward & if that doesn't work he is capable of playing a defensive forward role on Johnston. He is quick, has good ball handling skills and is developing a really good working relationship with Shane Biggs. He can also play second ruck. If not then bring Naismith in as he is the one killing them in the Twos.
    Funny. I wrote my previous post without seeing yours. We are on the same page with this one.

Agree with the Membrey one, but not sure that Allir is ready yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    ...... I do wonder Flying South whether you might be over rating the ability/current level of some of our current reserve team players.
    Wholesale changes aren't going to do a thing if there isn't a corresponding increase in effort and a better attitude as well. Our attitude this year so far has stunk, and our willingness to get stuck in severely lacking.
    MCS, this is my point. Bringing in new players generally results in an increase in effort and attitude as they want to make the most of their opportunities. I agree, our attitude and commitment has stunk, and the coaches need to show that they are not going to accept it.
    Maybe I am over rating some of the reserves players. But maybe I am not. We will never know until they get a chance. Maybe we are over estimating the ability of some our senior players. Some of the crap they have been serving up this year has me and others questioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    .......Dropping the veterans too hastily will cause disunity and will send a message that the coaches are panicking......
    Dropping ROK, LRT and Shaw is not something that I find easy to say. As they have been loyal servants to the club. However, persisting with their sub par performances just because of who they are is sending a poor example to the younger players. Hopefully they can find form back in the reserves and force their way back into the team. The team and bloods culture must come 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    ......It's more about facing up to reality. Letting go of the past and discovering what the future holds for the Swans. No point in being in a terminal state of denial.
    Couldn?t agree more Ludwig. We also need to develop a squad of players that can step in at any when the opposition, weather or injuries dictate. Geelong are masters at it.

The general consensus here is that ROK, Shaw, LRT and Derickx need to be dropped. I have simply offered up my replacements. I am also suggesting we rotate Rohan and give him some game time in the reserves and build on his fitness. Bird has to come back in, so Cunningham goes out. Mitchell is not in good form, so doesn?t deserve to keep his spot. This is a good opportunity to reward Lloyd for consistent effort and see what he has got. Whilst seven changes may seem radical, what is the worst thing that can happen. They play as bad as they players they are replacing.

I've read an old story where during the Gold Rush in America a bunch of fortune seekers bought expensive digging equipment and spent months and months digging but decided to give up one day and do something different to find their fortune. They sold the goldmine and equipment to another guy who discovered gold a few inches from where they had stopped digging a week later. They had given up and changed their plan mere inches from their goal.

Sometimes changing things isn't what gets results. Sometimes brute persistence, belief and patience pays off.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast