Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5 versus Fremantle

Regular in the Side
    I have a feeling Horse will be still conservative. Unlikely to have any Rookie promotion this week!

Yeah I don't think we will see major changes this week. If a rookie was promoted wouldn't we have heard by now?

I didn't see ryano play in any Center bounces on the weekend which was so frustrating to watch considering the conditions and how smashed the midfield was getting... Yes he is slow and didn't put in a good performance up forward (he did manage to kick one of our only goals) but we needed his presence and tackling in the stoppages against north. If mundy is playing he could be a good match up for mundy. I also think Shaw will get selected again, maybe he can piss ballentyne off and negate him instead of turning over the ball over painfully.

I'd like to see Membrey get a go if he's ready as we need some one else apart from buddy who can kick goals.

In terms of the ruck department, Clarke and Sandi is a huge task and if the conditions are good we need 2 rucks, plus Clarke can work well up and down the wing.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by churry View Post
    Yeah I don't think we will see major changes this week. If a rookie was promoted wouldn't we have heard by now?

I didn't see ryano play in any Center bounces on the weekend which was so frustrating to watch considering the conditions and how smashed the midfield was getting... Yes he is slow and didn't put in a good performance up forward (he did manage to kick one of our only goals) but we needed his presence and tackling in the stoppages against north. If mundy is playing he could be a good match up for mundy. I also think Shaw will get selected again, maybe he can piss ballentyne off and negate him instead of turning over the ball over painfully.

I'd like to see Membrey get a go if he's ready as we need some one else apart from buddy who can kick goals.

In terms of the ruck department, Clarke and Sandi is a huge task and if the conditions are good we need 2 rucks, plus Clarke can work well up and down the wing.
    I'm hoping Ludwig or Ugg or others can help me out with the following question.

How come when the Swans are looking to promote players to the seniors we are always at our rookie list?

Aren't rookie listed players supposed to be inferior to senior listed players?

List year we played Rampe, X Richards, Biggs and B. Jack who were rookie listed players at the start of 2013. This year people are talking about Biggs, Naismith and Lloyd from the rookie list.

What is wrong with senior listed recent draftees like Jordan Locklear, Harrison Marsh, Towers and Brad Dick who have been on the Swans list for at least a year? Why are rookies constantly outplaying them in the reserves last year and again this year?

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

Making a call

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    I don't support blind optimism but I equally question such suicidal pessimism. There's too much good cattle in red and white to suggest this match and season are train wrecks just yet. I won't be surprised if we bounce back to form but, yes, Freo are a very good team even with their extended injury list. It's not an easy assignment this Saturday. I'll be watching.
    I don't consider this suicidal pessimism, I am just calling it as I see it. I've been a supporter for over 40 years and the way we miss tackles, lack of pressure, Just wildly kicking the ball into the forward line, no Supporting your team mate etc etc, reminds me of the early 1990's when we were the laughing stock of the AFL. I don't want to see that again! We need to start doing radical things like bringing in a couple of first gamers and telling a couple of regulars, their efforts are not acceptable.

I have already dismissed us as playing finals this year, but I hope the signs are better for next year. SOMEHOW!

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    You haven't seen Naismith play have you. Obviously not otherwise you would not be making sweeping statements about his lack of agility. He is more agile than Mummy. He can run and carry. His second efforts are very good. LRT is a joke in the ruck and it isn't Sandi we need to worry about it is Clarke. Clarke hits to advantage of a runner and gets the ball himself and is faster than LRT. LRT does not even begin to make a contest at hit ins (where we have the most problems this year), he is not the solution to a ruck problem. Yes hit outs are not the be all and end all. Matthews did not suggest that hit outs do not matter, see Jason Ball/Nick Davis v Geelong Prelim. He said that Sandilands mostly hit the ball at the feet of the rovers. This is not a great place for the ball to be if you want to run it out. He is not hitting to their complete advantage at all. This is why Matthews thinks his advantage is overrated. He was not making a statement on every ruckman just on Sandilands. His point was that if you are going to have so much of an advantage and get so many hit outs you really need to turn them to your team's advantage which Sandi does not do.
    Not disparaging Naismith's skills. Just suggesting that bringing him in for his first game against the one of the best ruckman in the comp is a fool's errand and will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    You haven't seen Naismith play have you. He is more agile than Mummy....
    <<<<<<<<<<< Look left

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    I've been a supporter for over 40 years....
    Well it's a shame that after such a long time you have decided to stop supporting them....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    I don't consider this suicidal pessimism, I am just calling it as I see it. I've been a supporter for over 40 years and the way we miss tackles, lack of pressure, Just wildly kicking the ball into the forward line, no Supporting your team mate etc etc, reminds me of the early 1990's when we were the laughing stock of the AFL. I don't want to see that again! We need to start doing radical things like bringing in a couple of first gamers and telling a couple of regulars, their efforts are not acceptable.

I have already dismissed us as playing finals this year, but I hope the signs are better for next year. SOMEHOW!
    In the last 18 years, we've missed the finals three times, played in 4 GFs and won two flags. You say you've supported us for 40+ years and now you're off the bandwagon after one month of poor footy. Mind boggling.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Not disparaging Naismith's skills. Just suggesting that bringing him in for his first game against the one of the best ruckman in the comp is a fool's errand and will never happen.
    Regardless of what is likely to happen, what do you think SHOULD happen?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Regardless of what is likely to happen, what do you think SHOULD happen?
    I like what I see of Naismith but I'm not convinced he's really ready yet. With such a young ruckman (and one who was playing Northern NSW country footy just a couple of years ago), I reckon it's best to leave him learning his craft in the reserves for a little longer yet. Remember that he missed practically the whole of last season through injury, and he's still got loads to learn.

Senior Player
    Stewy dew says there are certain players on near their last chance, before someone is coming in that will get the job done. Said the rookies are performing best in the 2's and you can't promote all of them.

Quite honest answers

SwansTV: Stuart Dew on 6PR - sydneyswans.com.au

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Yippee! Lloyd to debut

In: Lloyd, B.Jack, Bird
    Out: O'Keefe, Rohan, Mitchell

Emergencies are Aliir(!), Jones and ROK.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I'm hoping Ludwig or Ugg or others can help me out with the following question.

How come when the Swans are looking to promote players to the seniors we are always at our rookie list?

Aren't rookie listed players supposed to be inferior to senior listed players?

List year we played Rampe, X Richards, Biggs and B. Jack who were rookie listed players at the start of 2013. This year people are talking about Biggs, Naismith and Lloyd from the rookie list.

What is wrong with senior listed recent draftees like Jordan Locklear, Harrison Marsh, Towers and Brad Dick who have been on the Swans list for at least a year? Why are rookies constantly outplaying them in the reserves last year and again this year?
    I'll have a crack at it if that's ok. Great question btw. Firstly, the Swans haven't had a draft pick in the top 5 for many years. Those guys are generally (but not always) stand-outs and will make it regardless. Outside of that, you really are taking a punt at how a draft pick will mature and when. Rookies aren't necessarily inferior players, it's just that at the time the draftees were identified and put through the system, they weren't at that level for whatever reason. Some have come from other sports or other countries, and some have come from other leagues and are a couple of years older, which means that their bodies are more mature and more able to withstand the rigors of senior footy.

Our draft picks in recent years have tended to be players who needed time to develop. Luke Parker and AJ were notable exceptions to that but they were both lower picks, which is significant IMO. In summary, it's not an exact science when you draft someone. Rookies are often someone that you have seen more of and have a fair idea of what you're going to get.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph