Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 9 v Essendon

Suspended by the MRP
    It?s obvious from the Reserves reports that Garry Rohan is being re-engineered as a running, quick half back. It won?t happen this week, but how long will it be before Rohan is putting pressure on a Jeremy Laidler or a Rhyce Shaw? We now have Sam Reid as swingman, so the 3rd backline tall is no longer a concern.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I wouldn't read too much into where players are played in the reserves, they tend to turn up in totally different places in the seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Not for Membrey but Bird is pretty much the weakest link. Watching him on Etihad and MCG hr is shockingly slow, always gets caught out trailing off his man. His lack of pace and run probably isn't exposed as much on the SCG he is not AFL standard
    Here we go again. Shotguns aiming up at our feathered friend.

IMHO, Birdy is every bit an AFL standard player. He would be welcome at any of the 18 clubs in the league. A good old-fashioned utility player who can take on many roles as required by the coach (often ones that don't gather great stats but are critical to team success).

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Here we go again. Shotguns aiming up at our feathered friend.

IMHO, Birdy is every bit an AFL standard player. He would be welcome at any of the 18 clubs in the league. A good old-fashioned utility player who can take on many roles as required by the coach (often ones that don't gather great stats but are critical to team success).
    Yep I'm with you, I guess it was only a matter of time before the Birdy culling started again.
    In my opinion if there were to be any outs from Friday nights team it would be Harry for mine, he just doesn't do enough. At the ground I actually forgot he was playing, then when I watched the replay I noticed he had a few cameos but they are too few and far between.

Opti-pessi-misti
    I am slowly but surely learning not to make judgements on players who you do not see much of during the game, or only notice them when they do trail behind an opponent or make a mistake.or do something good and you wonder where they have been all night.

After Friday night when I was inclined to wonder about the inputs and mistakes of a couple of players it struck me that Gunston had not made any impact, that Lewis wasn't allowed to take the game apart, etc etc, and it was probably because someone had been 'looking after them' - most likely the players I was inclined to bag.

I am also realising that when the key mids are performing well, some of the other more outside players don't get a look in. I get a bit disappointed with Jets sometimes, wondering where his run and goal scoring have gone to but its because his role has changed and for the sake of the team structures he has to play a role that is not instinctive to him. He does his best, no doubt, and has cameo contributions but the pizzaz of old is rarely there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Yep I'm with you, I guess it was only a matter of time before the Birdy culling started again.
    In my opinion if there were to be any outs from Friday nights team it would be Harry for mine, he just doesn't do enough. At the ground I actually forgot he was playing, then when I watched the replay I noticed he had a few cameos but they are too few and far between.
    Agree that Bird is a valuable player whose only shortcoming is lack of pace.

In defence of Harry, I think he was given a role to shutdown Suckling. It was hard to attract the ball when competing with the likes of Buddy and Tippo. It's true that he didn't get much of the ball, but the times he was involved he did very well. I think with our quick and tall forwards coming into the lineup, Harry has been given less time running the wings, which has cut down on his opportunities. He had an excellent opportunity to take an uncontested mark and shot for goal, but Joey missed him on a short kick. I don't think you can't judge him on his possession count alone.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I am slowly but surely learning not to make judgements on players who you do not see much of during the game, or only notice them when they do trail behind an opponent or make a mistake.or do something good and you wonder where they have been all night.

After Friday night when I was inclined to wonder about the inputs and mistakes of a couple of players it struck me that Gunston had not made any impact, that Lewis wasn't allowed to take the game apart, etc etc, and it was probably because someone had been 'looking after them' - most likely the players I was inclined to bag.

I am also realising that when the key mids are performing well, some of the other more outside players don't get a look in. I get a bit disappointed with Jets sometimes, wondering where his run and goal scoring have gone to but its because his role has changed and for the sake of the team structures he has to play a role that is not instinctive to him. He does his best, no doubt, and has cameo contributions but the pizzaz of old is rarely there.
    Great point! And absolutely right.

I think Bird played a bit on Lewis.

I was surprised by what a poor game Gunston had. He was defended well and didn't take his chances either.

I think Laidler did a lot to nail down his spot in the side. He made some sharp handballs in tight situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

In defence of Harry, I think he was given a role to shutdown Suckling. It was hard to attract the ball when competing with the likes of Buddy and Tippo. It's true that he didn't get much of the ball, but the times he was involved he did very well. I think with our quick and tall forwards coming into the lineup, Harry has been given less time running the wings, which has cut down on his opportunities. He had an excellent opportunity to take an uncontested mark and shot for goal, but Joey missed him on a short kick. I don't think you can't judge him on his possession count alone.
    You're probably right about Harry, as I said I certainly noticed more after watching the replay, its just that I'm quite a fan and I worry that he may be the one with his neck on the block with all the talent available now.

What an amazing Injury List 12/5/14. Almost without precedent (touch wood).

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    What an amazing Injury List 12/5/14. Almost without precedent (touch wood).
    What a great trade we made last year:

We got Buddy.

They got our injury list.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Agreed, good thing is he is quick in making a good decision and no matter how fast you are a good kick is always faster than someone running with the ball.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 13th May 2014 at 10:35 PM.

i agree Cunningham has been given the same initiation as Keiran Jack and that is to shut down shut down shut down and learn what the best outside players do...........he has some amazing players to match up on and given the speedy opposition players i am patient

who else could matchup on a stephen hill ????

Lloyd couldnt catch him even though i really like the progress of Jake
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast