Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General interest in the Swans in Sydney

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sheesh, you folks with your Rouse Hill Town Centre!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Sydney Uni, it attracts the higher quality of players due to its proximity to a certain beach and shopping centre.
    The true Bondi Boys are the UTS Bats not Sydney Uni.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezball View Post
    For those who live in Sydney, what kind of general interest do you think the city has in the swans at the moment?

We got a good crowd against the Cats (37k) however the free to air TV ratings for the game was only 46k which is pretty low, especially considering there was no NRL game up against it.

Beyond our core of rusted on fans, is there much awareness / interest these days?

From afar it seems that the interest is less than during the Plugger era and '05-06 era.

Any thoughts?

The Swans have three periods that immediately post date Grand Finals:

1996: The period 1997-1999 was extraordinary. Club Membership increased by a multi factor. In 33 SCG games, all but five had crowds in excess of 28,000.

2005/2006: The period 2006-2007. Another period of Club Membership increase. Junior AFL big increase in participation in Sydney. SCG crowds good in 2006 in particular (7 out 9 games in excess of 28,000). However the big crowds were going to Homebush, where in five out of six games, there were attendances in excess of 60,000.

2012: The period 2013- . Increase in Club Membership. But that's about it. SCG crowds for the relevant 2014 have until the Geelong game been disappointing: neither the Kangaroos nor Dockers game could attract 26,000. And don't get me started with Homebush: 6 games, no crowd in excess of 43,000. No junior AFL increase in participation in Sydney. TV rating static in NSW.

The students at the school where I teach have a vested interest in the swans. If they win no homework, if they lose they have to do extra. I've been doing this for many years and it's amazing how many students either attend or are now following it avidly.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    The students at the school where I teach have a vested interest in the swans. If they win no homework, if they lose they have to do extra. I've been doing this for many years and it's amazing how many students either attend or are now following it avidly.
    What a cunning plan!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Is it true that your 1993 students all went on to be professors and Harvard graduates?

Senior Player
    The tv viewing numbers are low, and I think that's because it's not on a primary channel. I don't really understand it, but despite everyone having the digital channels, viewing habits still seem directed at the primary channels.

I still think gws is a terrible idea and I hope it fails. It makes more sense to have the city behind the one team. I'd reckon media exposure is still 85-15 Swans.

2 sets of renovations of the SCG have now finished, so we shouldn't be operating under reduced capacity for some time and I think that will make a big difference to crowds in time. There has long been a perception that you couldn't get a ticket to the games because Ticketek said there were non available. That will be different now. Coming to the newly renovated venue will be a selling point too.

I always let me NRL mates know when we're playing and their interest has increased steadily over time. One guy told me that he watched us play Hawthorn on TV over the League and he's never done that before. I have other NRL fan friends who have told me similar things. I think that we, as supporters, can do our own bit to help spread the word to an extent. I know I let a few know that the game was on Thursday night because it was unusual and they had no idea. Once they did, they had a look because it was live sport.

Let's also remember that the ratings do not include those who watched on Fox Footy.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I was at Hornsby for the first half. Went over to the pub, no swans on tv. Asked the barmaid if she could put one of the tvs on. She put one of the monitors on the TAB wall on. No sound. Was only me watching until another bloke joined in. He was staff, got a bigger tv going and sound. No one else in the pub interested.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Interest has grown slowly but surely. I've had a few friends ask me about it over the years and I've maybe taken one or two to their first game in that time and they have enjoyed it.

I think the Port game will be a good one for increasing interest in the sport, given the way both teams are playing it should be a great match, I know I would pay good money to watch them play even if the Swans weren't involved. I know Port aren't usually a huge drawing side here, but it would be a good game to encourage people who are thinking about getting along, to actually go!

I'm going to Adelaide next weekend to see a friends band on the Friday night. As fate would have it , port are playing the saints on the Saturday and a couple of my travelling mates are saints fans. Pretty pumped to see port in action and also check out the Adelaide oval.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I'm going to Adelaide next weekend to see a friends band on the Friday night. As fate would have it , port are playing the saints on the Saturday and a couple of my travelling mates are saints fans. Pretty pumped to see port in action and also check out the Adelaide oval.
    The new Adelaide oval is absolutely fantastic - had a great day out there for the Crows game earlier in the season!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Is it true that your 1993 students all went on to be professors and Harvard graduates?
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast