Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thursday night games at the SCG

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Thursday night games at the SCG

There's been plenty of discussion about the game against Geelong but not a lot on the actual scheduling of the game for a Thursday night, where the following day is a normal work/school day. I'm interested in hearing others' opinions on this decision, whether you like or dislike it and whether you would like it to happen again in the coming seasons

Shocking idea. Even when it is on Tv. Busy during the week not even sure I can watch

Friday 7.10pm - Sunday 1.10pm

Everything outside of that window is a no go

3pm Saturday is my preference
    -

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post

+1

It was only 13 days ago that Thursday Night footy was being hailed a success. If we can experience half of the atmosphere of that Adelaide Oval match tomorrow night then it will get a tick from me.

We'll be taking our 6 and 8 year olds along - it's only one day of school before the weekend. Completely different scenario to a Monday night game. They are almost more excited than I am!

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post

This, Thursday nights are only slightly less ridiculous than the Monday nights.
    I'm lucky because my brother is driving to the game and willing to give me a lift home, otherwise I'd be looking at getting home after 11:30 then getting to work at 7:45
    As it is we may need to leave the game a little early to avoid traffic chaos
    Thursday night puts attendance out of reach for a lot of people, those with young families, single parents, the elderly (some) and those that live a fair distance away. If the AFL must have a Thursday night game leave it to less sprawling cities
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Terrible idea. It takes us an hour to get back home from the SCG and we've had to find babysitters for the kids due to the next day being a school day. A bit of a pain backing up at work on a Friday as well. It also makes it really hard for travelling fans to get to the game. They've got to take 1.5 days off work to get there on time, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are less travelling Geelong fans than normal (not that i'm complaining about that, I have to go home with one as it is).

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Happy and I know it
    Hate going to a Thursday night game.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    I'm lucky because my brother is driving to the game and willing to give me a lift home, otherwise I'd be looking at getting home after 11:30 then getting to work at 7:45
    As it is we may need to leave the game a little early to avoid traffic chaos
    Thursday night puts attendance out of reach for a lot of people, those with young families, single parents, the elderly (some) and those that live a fair distance away. If the AFL must have a Thursday night game leave it to less sprawling cities
    I'm not sure why Monday Night Football is not seen as a success in Australia? In America, Monday Night Football for the NFL is highly desired.
    It's the NFL plumb scheduling spot.

Geez what a pack of sooks ! Considering attendance levels so far at the SCG so far this year I'm tipping a crowd of 8,000 the way you lot are carrying on! . You'll miss out on a an hour of sleep to attend a cracking footy game on a Thursday night. Big deal

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    Agreed.

I'm playing basketball at 8.45pm. WHAT ABOUT ME!???!?!!

Footy is a weekend sport. Starts at 5pm Friday, should be done by tea time Sunday. I will say not much beats a sunday evening roast at mums, with beers and snacks prior as we watch the WA game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I'm not sure why Monday Night Football is not seen as a success in Australia? In America, Monday Night Football for the NFL is highly desired.
    It's the NFL plumb scheduling spot.
    It is strange, when did they make that switch? It's not really ingrained in our culture down south/west. I know up north NRL has monday night games. Let them have it. I can say as fox footy subscriber, i've not watched one Monday night game this season (at least our Thursday night game is decent match up). Monday is prime US tv night, game of thrones, mad men etc...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast