Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: General interest in the Swans in Sydney

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

General interest in the Swans in Sydney

For those who live in Sydney, what kind of general interest do you think the city has in the swans at the moment?

We got a good crowd against the Cats (37k) however the free to air TV ratings for the game was only 46k which is pretty low, especially considering there was no NRL game up against it.

Beyond our core of rusted on fans, is there much awareness / interest these days?

From afar it seems that the interest is less than during the Plugger era and '05-06 era.

Any thoughts?

No one at work has mentioned or asked about the game. I also saw 0 people in Swans merchandise yesterday all day in the city.

So not much.

Mate i can remember when you went to a game and selection was amazing , watched Lions / Swans game on sale some swans beanies ?????????????

Senior Player
    Difficult to say. Attention in the media never seems to change much (match report, that's it), unless it's a Buddy headline. I haven't really noticed anyone suddenly talking about the Swans who did not before. Maybe a few new faces at the SCG, as much due to the new stands as anything else.

Assuming that home crowd numbers are some sort of guide to "general interest", they're on the rise. It's fun to look at the ebbs and flows on this chart and think about what happened in those years.

swans_crowd.png

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Difficult to say. Attention in the media never seems to change much (match report, that's it), unless it's a Buddy headline. I haven't really noticed anyone suddenly talking about the Swans who did not before. Maybe a few new faces at the SCG, as much due to the new stands as anything else.

Assuming that home crowd numbers are some sort of guide to "general interest", they're on the rise. It's fun to look at the ebbs and flows on this chart and think about what happened in those years.

swans_crowd.png
    Here's what I find strange. After the 96 and 2006 grand finals, you can see we had a substantial crowd spike. Not so after 2005 and 2013. Any thoughts on why?
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    Here's what I find strange. After the 96 and 2006 grand finals, you can see we had a substantial crowd spike. Not so after 2005 and 2013. Any thoughts on why?
    There's certainly a big spike following 1996. Post-2005 is interesting; the median crowd (50% of games had that crowd or less) rises in 2006, but then drops right down in 2007. You can also see that in 2007, the median line is way down at the bottom of the box. That's because the data are skewed by big crowds at ANZ. The 3 ANZ games in 2007 all pulled in more than 60000, whereas the SCG games were all around the usual 25000 or so.

I think we're seeing a steady and less-skewed rise post-2012; 2014 is of course incomplete just now.
    Last edited by neilfws; 1st June 2014 at 11:23 PM.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    We've managed to luck into SCG redevelopments falling smack bang around both of our premierships, with significantly limited capacity for any potential new fans (or at least new game attendees) to regularly trot along to.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    When coming home from games with my Swans scarf on, I'll usually get asked by a few people whether we won or lost. So they are aware of our existence but not much more I don't think.

Senior Player
    Bit sad really

We gotta be selling out 50,000 seats in a city of 4.5mil after 30 years!

What do we have to do? we've been flogged, won flags, had a nut job owner, big recruits, controversy, australian of the year playing in the side!!! haha

keep on fighting the good fight peeps! we'll get there.

Suspended by the MRP
    I think the Swans and AFL are slowly penetrating the market.

I've started meeting people who are born and bred in Sydney but enjoy their AFL They also have no family heritage to AFL. Ten years ago there was always a family link to AFL.

I can honestly say that I've never met a GWS supporter!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I can honestly say that I've never met a GWS supporter!
    Not too many hanging around Bondi.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the average Sydneysider wasn't as aware about the game on Thursday night because their primary focus is usually on NEAFL games.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast