Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sydney v Port match day

All I know is...we have beaten all of the top 8 in this first half of the season...thrashed a couple of them.....no complaints whatever from me.....

Tom wasn't the only one rucking, his backup was The Albatross, Reid. Not exactly a full time ruckman.
    BJ got in amongst it and delivered a ball or two to someone who knew what to do with it.
    Jerry followed the mob wherever it went, and had a number of telling blocks, he had a negating role, not a stats delight.
    Gary ended up being the 'new kid' in the game. Everyone else had concentrated for so long he just couldn't get into the 'club'.

Anyone having a crack at the players seem to have forgotten that some of these ones are the least experienced, especially at this level, but they did not hang their heads. On top of that they were playing Port. the team who had only lost ONE game this season. Oops, make that two.
    Two of those kids have NEVER played in a game like this. Two others probably hadn't either. Its all added to their experience.

One other thing. Port players had clangers too. the ground condition wasn't condusive to being able to play to perfection for either side.

Watched some of the replay. Those commentators are crap. Didn't have a clue about what was happening out there. Damned it was fast. Had to watch with binoculars to pinpoint who had what and who.

Kudos to Luke (fearce competitor), Sam (who knew he could tackle a small, legally), Birdy (so much work being done), Dane (who despite making a mistake or two, also did some terrific stuff), Jake (quick decision maker), Ted (the General down back), Nic & Rhyce (joined at the hip), as for Smooch!! (big job young man, BIG) Adam (sheesh), Kizz (double sheesh), Macca (fine captain).

Salute to Tom who despite being way out of his depth (2 games previous to coming to the Swans) has not hung his head, competed all the way, and has done his bleeding best against the bleeding best the competition can offer and is still a baby in his development ( a very good looking one at that). All I have to say is "watch this space".

Finally to Buddy. Big competitor, fought it out, wore down the double teaming (with nooo bloody help from the umps, that's another discussion point, but I don't want to poison this thread with them) until they broke from exhaustion and then went his merry way to kick a massive goal which lifted all of us from our seats. I am happy to be spending the clubs money on him. As much as anything, he is playing this game, not 'doing his job'. He is enjoying himself out there, and it shows. If you are having fun, everything else settles around you, including your team mates. Works on many many levels.

My only concern is Jetta. He is getting a lot of team mate support, but he doesn't look comfortable out there at present. He is certainly not running like he used to. But, he is tackling and his defensive work has taken on a new level of expertise. But he is not running like the wind. Also, he was practicing his long kicks to goal for at least half an hour or more before the game. That's a lot of energy being used up isn't it? Worked for his long goal tho, but still........

This was a great game to be at. Missed Benny though. But it was a great game.
    Last edited by Primmy; 15th June 2014 at 07:42 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    A great win. Buddy saves the day. We were really out on our feet. Port certainly do seem like the fittest side int he comp. They finished a lot stronger than us.They killed us in the 4th qtr. But sometimes you just have to scrape through.

This win was so important. Now we only have 2 tough games left. But we were nearly at full strength and could have easily been beaten. I think we have to take something out of this game to improve the side, because Buddy may not always be there to save the day.

A few points stand out for me:

1. Rohan didn't record a stat. He was way off the pace of the game, which was very disappointing. I don't know what the problem is, but it's a worry. I hope he can find his mojo again.

2. I hope this is the last game we see Tom Derickx in the seniors. He's done a decent fill in role, but he is nowhere near AFL level. Bring back Pyke, and if we need another ruckman, bring in Nanko. We were getting killed in the centre clearances, mainly because Derickx could not compete with Lobbe. We were virtually playing a man down in the second half.

3. The defence has become very leaky. Ted is a bit down, but still playing well. But something is not there. I think we need some more speed an height in defence. Laidler has done okay, but I would drop him and move Reid to CHB. Bring in Membrey and give him a go in the forward line.

4. I am pleased with the progress of Cunningham and Lloyd. They played well today. We may have to get a few more newbies in the side over the next few weeks when the opposition is not so tough. I thought we really missed Benny today. We can't be so dependent on having a full list. It doesn't happen that often.

Anyway, Great Win. Looking forward to the replay in Adelaide.

I dont want to agree about rohan, but have to. I know he didnt get a lot of game time, but he just really is struggling big time

You are a bit harsh on the defence. I thought they were pretty good, especially under the immense pressure of the last quarter. Port use the ball fantastically and the scg suits their style which makes it hard to counter.

It seems like it is finally clicking for cunningham - which is very pleasing to see. Lloyd is one calm kid amd is going to be a superb player for us.

BJ still looks out of depth at this stage, but the experience of yesterday's match will do him good.

Guessing until,the Rod comes out Gary will be playing in a fair amount of pain. I am really hopeful he will come good next year.

I would play Tom Derickx next week against Richmond his old club. He will have something to prove. He is looking tired though.

Long time to go in the season, he will need to play a lot more

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Swans500 View Post
    All I know is...we have beaten all of the top 8 in this first half of the season...thrashed a couple of them.....no complaints whatever from me.....
    Except north Melbourne and Collingwood

very pleasing effort.

great contest to watch on the back of 8 weeks of wins against tough teams of late

im loving Goodes kicking goals on the run with his left foot only !

Harry, Lloyd standing up which has been critical for our matchups and team performance........BJ tough role in the upfront pressure as Port move the ball so quickly but good experience for him if we have injuries coming into the finals etc

Shaw for me the last 5 or so weeks has been at his best and is truly lifting the team with his intensity

Buddy just brilliant and Im glad I saw him at the SCG yesterday rather then watching fox high lights of him helping the Giants beat the Lions
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Nice nice work and gutsy win
    "Lance" is not a dirty word

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    My brother is a Geelong supporter and he says that about David King too!
    Haha, I expected it was just some kind of irrational "woe is me" thing based on hearing a couple of comments, so I wouldn't be surprised if other teams all feel the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    He's the exact opposite on AFL360. He's picked us for the flag and has intimated that he's put a fair bit of coin on that result. Has nothing but praise for the Swans.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    David King is 99.9% pro Swans! He definitely supports the "Swans Audit" belief (swans will show your weakness)
    I have to admit, I basically watch zero footy media and only the games nowadays (in a conscious effort to try to get back some of the sheer enjoyment of being a football fan, and moving away from over analysis that the footy media provides) so for all I know he regularly goes on about how great the Swans are! It was just based on possibly his comments from the last game we played, watching a recording of this game this morning he kind of still seemed a bit ho hum about us.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Great win, amazing really, considering we were soundly beaten in nearly every stat in the game....Except the one that counts.
    Make that 'two that count'. We were beaten in nearly every stat except 1%ers and the scoreboard. What did Horse say? "you don't need to be a star to win just prepared to put in effort & pressure".

Stella, it was rather a matter of the Port losing, rather than the Swans winning this game. The excitement and the tension at the ground is totally drowned out by the commentators. They missed stuff even I picked up. they picked on things that didn't exist. Criticism. No joy or enjoyment of the game itself. Shame really.

Both teams worked their arses off, and the 1% as pointed out, made the difference, and the fact that not once did I see a Swans player drop away for more than a moment. Out on their feet, but they did it, with a lame duck and an injured ankle, and a ruckman with 13 games under his belt, and any number of inexperienced blokes at the start of their careers

Should I mention the visuals? Dear lord, poor quality, and I have been jumping up and down about Seven's feed! Camera work compounded by low grade Definition couldn't keep up with the speed of the game, nor could the commentators.

You just had to be there.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Stella, it was rather a matter of the Port losing, rather than the Swans winning this game. The excitement and the tension at the ground is totally drowned out by the commentators. They missed stuff even I picked up. they picked on things that didn't exist. Criticism. No joy or enjoyment of the game itself. Shame really.

Should I mention the visuals? Dear lord, poor quality, and I was jumping up and down about a Seven feed! Camera work compounded by low grade Definition couldn't keep up with the speed of the game, nor could the commentators.

You just had to be there.
    I was! I completely agree, it didn't carry the excitement of the ground over well at all- listening to the commentators I was surprised at how pro Port they seemed. I'm pretty Dwayne even took a dig at the crowd early on along the lines of "they had hopes of a sell out, but still some empty seats".
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Yeah, you did, but Dwayne wasn't in the box, so we can't blame him. I think it was that ex North bloke.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast