Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stewart Dew

Blog Entries

Stewart Dew

SYDNEY Swans assistant Stuart Dew feels ready if a senior coaching position comes his way.

Heavily courted by Melbourne late last year for the role as Paul Roos' successor, Dew instead decided to sign a new three-year contract at the Swans.

Since ending his 206-game playing career with Port Adelaide and Hawthorn in 2009, Dew has filled a variety of roles in Sydney, originally working with Roos before he handed the reins to John Longmire.

The timing wasn't right for Dew to agree to the Demons' succession plan but with some more coaching under his belt this year, he told AFL.com.au he would love a senior role.
    Stuart Dew was 'very close' to joining Demons under Paul Roos - AFL.com.au

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Since ending his 206-game playing career with Port Adelaide and Hawthorn in 2009, Dew has been eating cake. Lots of it.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Suspended by the MRP

I?ve never met Stuart Dew, but he obviously has great coaching ability as he has progressed so far in a short period of time. He is only in his 5th year of coaching.

The question for him is whether he takes a senior job in the short to medium term or waits for the opportunity to succeed Longmire at the Swans. Longmire could be at the Swans for a good number of years past 2014.

I think he is more likely to take a good senior position in a club other than the Swans in the short and medium term. Through his playing career and coaching career he has shown that he can adapt to highly successful new environments. He won premierships as a player for Port and the Hawks. He won a premiership with the Swans as a coach. He could adapt and throve again.

Brenden Bolton from the Hawks would be another highly rated assistant coach that clubs would be looking at for a senior position.

When I saw that last nigh I thought that he will be on his way to Melbourne Football Club.
    Whether that will be part of the succession plan or not remains to be seen, but if I was a betting person (which I am not) I think that will be the case.

Good luck to him if he gets the senior coach position at Melbourne.

From memory, I thought he turned down the Melbourne assistant job, last year, because his wife wanted to live in Sydney.

If so, it sounds like that's no longer an issue.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I have a vague memory of Dew being told he is "required by the Swans" when the whole Dees situation presented last year
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Yeah I think thats right, they said he was on a contract and required. But he never actually asked for a release, he decided he wanted to stay.

Again from my memory, the talk at the time was that the unwritten rule with assistants is, if they ask for a release, they get one. Thankfully the Swans were never tested on this one.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

If Dew was to go would love to see the club approach Lenny Hayes to come back to Sydney as an assistant coach or does Kirky comeback or does Micky O get an upgrade as the heir apparent - just throwing it out there lots of choice if Dew wants to go

Also Crouch, Mattner & Playfair to move up the ranks.
    I would love Micky O coaching the seniors, and realistically most of those he played with have moved on, I think Teddy would be the youngest.

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Swan View Post
    If Dew was to go would love to see the club approach Lenny Hayes to come back to Sydney as an assistant coach or does Kirky comeback or does Micky O get an upgrade as the heir apparent - just throwing it out there lots of choice if Dew wants to go
    I was thinking the same thing. He was really peed off that we didnt draft him. Maybe this might close that wound somewhat.

Have set a reminder in my phone to put a bet on in 2016 when I know where Stewie Dew will be at - won in 2004, 2008, 2012 - loves an Olympic Year (as well as food)!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast