Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Premiership was Stolen!!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Melb Blood Bro View Post
    C'mon guys. This isn't an us and them scenario.

My Grandfather played in the 1918 Premiership. My parents were supporters and myself and my siblings are. It was tragic at the time to see the Swans move to Sydney but I now consider it the best thing that could have happened. Had we stayed in Melbourne we wouldn't exist. At least now, my family has a team to barrack for and support (I could never have adopted another team). I'm really thankful to the Sydney fans (ie. People like Kenny) who stuck by our club for the first decade or so when we were really terrible and couldn't produce an income. By the same token the Swans also need their Melb based supporters (I think we make up somewhere around 30% of the total membership).
    Are there as many old Fitzroy people in Melbourne who love the Brisbane Lions as there are old South Melbourne People who support the Sydney Swans.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Are there as many old Fitzroy people in Melbourne who love the Brisbane Lions as there are old South Melbourne People who support the Sydney Swans.
    There are some but not as many. I think Fitzroy had less supporters than us plus many of them felt that it was more of a takeover than a merger.

C'mon guys. This isn't an us and them scenario.

My Grandfather played in the 1918 Premiership. My parents were supporters and myself and my siblings are. It was tragic at the time to see the Swans move to Sydney but I now consider it the best thing that could have happened. Had we stayed in Melbourne we wouldn't exist. At least now, my family has a team to barrack for and support (I could never have adopted another team). I'm really thankful to the Sydney fans (ie. People like Kenny) who stuck by our club for the first decade or so when we were really terrible and couldn't produce an income. By the same token the Swans also need their Melb based supporters (I think we make up somewhere around 30% of the total membership).
    100% fact!!
    Were from Melbourne, cannot deny that. We are into our 33rd year as Sydney.
    And whilst on the subject of Melbourne based supporters, we probably have more Melbourne based supporters who have known them only as Sydney.

Pushing for Selection
    I think most of us "Old South Supporters" are spread far and wide these days.Even after all this time I still think of them as the Bloods,I know the move to Sydney was the best thing that happened to them,but it's still hard to change my way of thinking.As I live over 200ks from Melbourne I watch them on Pay T V. The only way to get the Real news about them is to come here to this forum or the Swans home page.Seems to be better news here LOL.I saw my first game at the old south ground 1946.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    100% fact!!
    Were from Melbourne, cannot deny that. We are into our 33rd year as Sydney.
    And whilst on the subject of Melbourne based supporters, we probably have more Melbourne based supporters who have known them only as Sydney.
    Yep, I'm one of those.

I've never understood this 'keep the cup in Victoria' crap. Most Vic supporters hate the other Vic clubs.

I follow a club, not a state. If we can't win it, I couldn't give a rat's who wins it.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

I had a friend who went to the MCG for the first time last week (Richmond game). She couldn't believe how much red and white was in the crowd. I had to explain that we were originally from Melbourne and that we have a HUGE membership base and following still going strong today. Oh der... an away game for us in Melbourne is like a home game, crowd-wise. The noise from the Richmond game was fantastic on the TV. There is still HEAPS of passion for the swans in Melbourne.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I had a friend who went to the MCG for the first time last week (Richmond game). She couldn't believe how much red and white was in the crowd. I had to explain that we were originally from Melbourne and that we have a HUGE membership base and following still going strong today. Oh der... an away game for us in Melbourne is like a home game, crowd-wise. The noise from the Richmond game was fantastic on the TV. There is still HEAPS of passion for the swans in Melbourne.
    The lack of Yellow and Black made the R&W stand amount more.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I didn't go but watched it on TV. It sounded to me as though the Tigers supporters were louder. I blamed this on the earlier umpire decisions going Richmonds way. Is that how it felt at the game?

Veterans List
    I didn't go but watched it on TV. It sounded to me as though the Tigers supporters were louder. I blamed this on the earlier umpire decisions going Richmonds way. Is that how it felt at the game?
    Well the tigers supporters were loud early because they started so well and we were really bad!!

Once the swans started coming back into the game the noise from the swans supporters around me was amazing. A couple of times when we had a shot at goal the cheers were so loud that I thought we had missed. Same thing happened in the essendon game.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Yep, I'm one of those.

I've never understood this 'keep the cup in Victoria' crap. Most Vic supporters hate the other Vic clubs.

I follow a club, not a state. If we can't win it, I couldn't give a rat's who wins it.
    Thats because you are only 27. If you barracked for anyone else you would be living out the back in a tent, and your dog wouldn't talk to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12