Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Young bloods - incl Harry wins RS nomination

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl...-1226974193467

According to Andrew Pridham the AFLmare still very supportive

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Interesting article from Garry Lyon in the Age Clubs scour second-chance saloon for hidden gems

Focuses on players not getting a regular game in their current team that could potentially be targets for other clubs recruiters. Number 1 on that list is Tim Membrey.

1. Tim Membrey (Sydney): The one position in which you are going to struggle to get a game in Sydney?s best team right now, unless your name is Franklin, Tippett, Reid or Goodes, is as a marking forward. Membrey, at 188 centimetres, was a star under-18 forward and would probably be playing as a legitimate third tall in 12 of the competition's 18 teams right now.

Hasn?t done himself any favours by not being as fit as he could be, but after a 47-goal debut season in the NEAFL last year, he has kicked 35 this season and has been named as an emergency for the Swans. Plenty of sides are in the market for a tall goalkicker.

The article also mentions Tayte Pears down the very bottom..I always thought he was alright at Essendon. He has obviously been overtaken by Hooker, Carlisle and Hurley so it doesn't like look like he'll be getting a game any time soon.

Key backmen are our only potential area of weakness. If we could pick up someone like Pears (24 y.o) for next to nothing it would provide valuable insurance. I don't know a hell of a lot about him with regards to the deficiencies in his game...poor attitude? average tank? average skills? injury prone? Those could all be completely wrong and hopefully someone will be able to give more of an insight but from what I remember he was a pretty good athlete and at 192cm and 92kg he is the perfect size.

There's obviously the ASADA side of things to worry about as well and who knows what the outcome of that will be, but anyway I'd like to hear people's thoughts.

Bit of background...he was pick 23 in the 07 draft from Perth and won a rising star nom. in 2009. Played most of the 2nd half of last season but started in the VFL this year until he was injured in round 5. I'm not sure what the injury was but he has been back playing the last couple of weeks in the VFL
    Last edited by Conor_Dillon; 2nd July 2014 at 10:45 AM.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Just on that ^^^ he is contracted till the end of 2015 so would have to be a trade...but if he doesn't get a game at the back end of this year which looks likely and then has another year in the VFL next year it could get interesting for the 2016 season. Teddy will either be finished or close to and he could be a good target for our recruitment staff. In saying all of that, he is probably their ready made replacement for Dusty

There's such a dearth of KPPs in footy, especially with the likes of Glass, Rutten and Jono Brown retiring, and so many others near retirement, that we have to stock up this year through the draft. We won't be able to compete in FA because of salary cap issues. Every side will be looking to fill vacancies as well. I can even see us giving Walsh another year if he shows he has recovered from injury and back on track. Luckily we will be getting Heaney this year and another couple of good midfielders next year, so we can focus on KPPs in upcoming drafts. Maybe we can find some good ones by force of numbers alone.

Recruiting any Essendon player is nuts. They are lioking at 2 year bans for non ci operation we would be carrying someone in our salary cap who is unlikely to play again

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123