Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adam Goodes - kicking distance

Veterans List
    His knee is completely stuffed and the doctors didn't think he'd play a game this year. And he has always pulled out of contests (well the last 10 years anyway) - and I'm guessing that's on the coaches instructions to preserve him - except for the Goodes-the-battering-ram in the dying stages of the 2012 GF. But he's definitely in our best 22 because of his footy smarts - and probably would be if he was playing on crutches.

I've noticed that whenever he kicks he kicks with a bent leg. Anyone else noticed this?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    I barely expect much anymore. Absent some sort of cloning arrangement to replace his legs it is his last season. He is managing a goal or two from forward fifty stoppages and the occasional cheapie running past the contest.

Like Judd and brown and ball and riewoldt and Hayes - the whole generation who started around the millennium their bodies are all just failing them and their ability to impact games are now cameo like rather than significant.

It is my hope that goodes will rage against the dying of the light all the way through to the last sat in September.

There is little doubt his body is really limiting him.

But you just know, if it comes down to a crunch moment in a big game this year (lets hope its the last dance) and we need a hero - it will be one A Goodes that stands up. He did it in 2012, no reason why he won't do it in 2014 if called upon. You can see the fire still burns bright, but the body is not allowing him to do what he once could. The hope of becoming a dual brownlow medallist combined with a triple premiership player is what is driving him for one final push.

Every week that passes though suggests to me we will not see him playing in 2015 though - I just can't see how he will go on.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Suspended by the MRP
    I hope whatever he is putting his body through that it's not going limit his life after football. He has the walk around Parliament House and young energetic children to look forward to.

Happy and I know it
    If Goddes' knee is so dogdy yet he still kicks 3 goals, I'd have him any day. He adds so much to our team with his superior reading of where the ball will go and the younger players can learn plenty from him.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I hope whatever he is putting his body through that it's not going limit his life after football. He has the walk around Parliament House and young energetic children to look forward to.
    I'm sure he'd settle for a little morning arthritis for another premiership. Another dozen or so games isn't going to make much difference. Is there any talk of what he will do after Football? He would be great in politics as long as he didn't become like a politician.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    With his knees I'm assuming if he tries to kick over 50m his leg would fly off and go further than the ball. The old fella is doing alright.

Can't say the same for the boring flogs who continue to boo him. Arseholes
    Like the Russian goalkicker in the Simpsons. Luchenko? Something like that!

Goodesy was excellent yesterday. He still runs well and he was all over the ground. He clearly can't kick from outside 50 but neither could Micky O late in his career and he still went ok.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeparovic View Post
    So the last five games the double brownlow medallist (and total swans champion) Goodesy has passed off every set shot opportunity. He used to have shots outside 50metres. My question is how close does Adam have to be to goals before he will actually have a shot? My guess is 30 metres...
    So you are suggesting that he's now down to Warwick Cappers maximum distance :-)

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

AGED

Quote Originally Posted by Melb Blood Bro View Post
    I've noticed that whenever he kicks he kicks with a bent leg. Anyone else noticed this?
    I notice he does not fully extend his kicking leg any more and thus is distance is limited, though his running was not that bad at one stage.But I love the way he reads the play so well. Still an asset

The great thing about Goodesy is that even when he's operating at 90% he's still difficult for them to match up on. He spent most of his time in the forward line on Saturday but also spent some time further up the ground. When he did this A smaller more mobile WC player would cover him but when he drifted into the fwd line he was too big for them. Vice versa would happen when he went from the fwd line up the ground.

Goodesy certainly isn't the same player post knee injury and even by his own admission can't do some things, but I get the feeling he is coasting and hoping we make it to the last game in September where he will hold nothing back in what will be his last game regardless! He was very, very good post injury in the '12 grand final and was everywhere playing at his peak leaving nothing in the tank! I predict he will do the same and put in a blinder when we need it most!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Like the Russian goalkicker in the Simpsons. Luchenko? Something like .
    Exactly the one I was thinking of.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast