Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big name yet to re-sign

Malceski is a gun and one of the most important players on the team. He's a lock for AA this year. It seems that Melbourne is in a jealousy meltdown and will say anything to disparage the Swans.

The swans have invested a lot in maliceski, I doubt he would leave at this stage of his career. It would take some balls to do that

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Damian Barrett on The Footy Show is claiming there's a big name at the Swans who is unhappy and yet to re-sign.

They're going to reveal who later, but does anyone have any thoughts on the identity of this mystery player?

Hopefully no substance to the report!
    Apart from Damian Barrett being a swans hater and a flog I have no thoughts on the subject.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

We need Mal.

Veterans List
    So much hate for the Swans. It's kinda fun as long as we don't get distracted. Pure joy would be for us to win the Premiership then score a big-name recruit (Cloke?) and watch Eddie et al explode.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I am really shocked at how undervalued Malceski's role in the team is. I understand the need to call time on a player's time at the club but I really don't think Malceski's case is as cut and dried as some here have posted. Shane Biggs, Zak Jones and Gary Rohan may one day be very good AFL players but the fact is that Malceski is currently a very good AFL footballer, and I don't think we can't afford to cut him loose
    Agree 100%. A massive number of our forward thrusts start off with Nick..it's no coincidence that we try and get the ball in his hands at absolutely every opportunity. His one-on-one defensive work is also hugely underrated...you can see it is an area of his game that he's worked on tirelessly...rarely gets beaten in a contest and he chops out our key back with spoils more than any other creative half-back in the comp.

Another poster also mentioned the injuries...the bonds formed between player and club in those tough times shouldn't be undervalued. I saw someone on twitter mention that his star tattoo is a reflection of the pillars of the bloods culture...can anyone confirm that?

The financial gap between what we offer and what he could get would have to be monumental for him to leave and I'd say and if that was looking like a possibility there would be others that would be let go first.

Any piece of 'news' with even a slight anti-Swans sentiment always gains plenty of attention so lets just hope it's Damian Barrett playing up to that, keeping himself relevant. It's an oddly quiet year for big name out of contract players and free agents and I guess he has to talk about something!

Blog Entries
    I don't know why we have to use BF as a source when we have our very own one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sydney Swans RWO Wiki,2014 AFL Season List

Draft Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I don't know why we have to use BF as a source when we have our very own one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sydney Swans RWO Wiki,2014 AFL Season List
    41 Lloyd Perris
    2 Rhyce Shaw retire replaced by Biggs
    35 Sam Naismith
    42 Xavier Richards
    37 Adam Goodes retire replaced by Membrey
    34 Alex Johnson
    14 Craig Bird
    27 Daniel Robinson
    22 Dean Towers
    31 Harrison Marsh delist? replaced by Heeney
    18 Jordan Lockyer delist? replaced by draft pick
    8 Kurt Tippett
    30 Lewis Roberts-Thomson already replaced
    28 Matthew Dick
    38 Mike Pyke
    9 Nick Malceski
    5 Ryan O'Keefe retire/GWS (to get to 300) already replaced
    46 Shane Biggs
    1 Tim Membrey
    6 Tom Mitchell
    17 Tommy Walsh retire replaced by draft pick
    11 Jeremy Laidler
    45 Patrick Mitchell patience or retire (very slow learner) replaced by draft pick
    19 Tom Derickx

Team Changes
    Can't see a lot more than this, with salary to play with.
    Think Tippett deal may be reduced as well, to around 600K (with injury issues)
    Worry for Membrey, think he can be a good 3rd big to fill in when Adam goes.
    Staying ahead of the game...

I'd hate to see Mal go but if we win a premiership this year I wouldn't be surprised if he does. Two premierships in three years (one off his own boot) would make any player feel pretty satisfied with his career. With his LARS history he probably has another two or three years at the most. Could you blame him for accepting an additional $300-$600k for a three year contract at a lesser club? Football careers don't last forever and a he has a right to take care of his family.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I'd hate to see Mal go but if we win a premiership this year I wouldn't be surprised if he does. Two premierships in three years (two off his own boot) would make any player feel pretty satisfied with his career. With his LARS history he probably has another two or three years at the most. Could you blame him for accepting an additional $300-$600k for a three year contract at a lesser club? Football careers don't last forever and a he has a right to take care of his family.
    Edited to acknowledge the remarkable feat of kicking his team's first and last goals to win two consecutive Grand Final appearances (2012 and 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    So much hate for the Swans. It's kinda fun as long as we don't get distracted. Pure joy would be for us to win the Premiership then score a big-name recruit (Cloke?) and watch Eddie et al explode.
    Pendles would be better, apart from being far and away the best player on their list, the only Collingwood player that would fit the no DH policy!

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I am really shocked at how undervalued Malceski's role in the team is. I understand the need to call time on a player's time at the club but I really don't think Malceski's case is as cut and dried as some here have posted. Shane Biggs, Zak Jones and Gary Rohan may one day be very good AFL players but the fact is that Malceski is currently a very good AFL footballer, and I don't think we can't afford to cut him loose
    Agree 100%. He's having a tremendous year too. I would imagine that he'll stay unless he has some massive money thrown at him from elsewhere that we just can't match. Surely he'd want to remain with us though.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast