Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adam Goodes: Who Do You Think You Are?

I clicked it on about 10 minutes in and was instantly bored.
    Thought that maybe the Goodes interest factor might hold my attention, but I clicked away after 5 minutes
    Does that make me a bad supporter?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Thought that maybe the Goodes interest factor might hold my attention, but I clicked away after 5 minutes
    Not really. It had little to do with football or the Swans. Makes you not all that interested in Adam Goodes' ancestry is all.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I watched Lip Service the night before on SBS on demand and nearly fell asleep. I found Adam's story on Who do you think you are infinitely more interesting. Not sure what that says about me!
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I was genuinely amazed how many records survived intact over the centuries.
    The Bombers could learn from that!!

Sorry for derailing the thread, but could not help myself.

He inherited the leadership gene

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Great show - a fascinating family history showing the intertwining between his indigenous and Anglo ancestry. No wonder he holds himself with such poise, seeing the stock he comes from.

Just a tad disappointed that no mention of his father's background was shown - I understand that it's a relatively short show and his Mum's side of the family is fascinating, but he certainly looks like his dad. But geez him Mum has done such a great job with him

These sorts of visits into someone's indigenous background and history should be compulsory viewing for all of us.
    As much as I loved the whole story line, I have to agree with you re his dad. No word about his background. I know it must be a painful subject, but ignoring it all together was a bit disappointing.

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    As much as I loved the whole story line, I have to agree with you re his dad. No word about his background. I know it must be a painful subject, but ignoring it all together was a bit disappointing.
    None of the episodes in this series fully explore both sides of a person's genealogy. The episodes focus on what the editors think make the most interesting viewing. There is always a lot of research left out of the show but the subject receives the benefit of the research.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    I watched Lip Service the night before on SBS on demand and nearly fell asleep. I found Adam's story on Who do you think you are infinitely more interesting. Not sure what that says about me!
    yep, ch 32 is probably my most watched channel of recent times.
    But the way they presented Lip Service in the ads was completely misleading...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    None of the episodes in this series fully explore both sides of a person's genealogy. The episodes focus on what the editors think make the most interesting viewing. There is always a lot of research left out of the show but the subject receives the benefit of the research.
    This article is interesting in that respect.

?What you see on the TV show is actually 20 per cent of the stuff they actually find,? Goodes said.

?Once this airs next Tuesday I then get the rest of the 80 per cent that they?ve found, and I get to learn so much more about other bits of my family history and ancestry, and there?s another part of my aboriginal ancestry that they didn?t even go into that shows how I?m related to Michael O?Loughlin.?

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1227018451650

What Meg said.

One thing that stands out strongly for me in Adam's story is the ancestral need to educate (even GGGGG gave $2m to set up university). That seems to be a driving force in the story which stands firm today with the GO foundation.

It is a shame some found it boring. It is a white ancestral story as well. We need to know what happened. I come from First and Second Fleet stock (assisted passage scheme I call it) but that doesn't make it a lay down that I know enough about what happened in this country from then to now. All information needs to be told and knowledge shared to create greater understanding and empathy between all of us.

I do like Adam's calm. Almost an inner serenity. I find him an interesting man. Not like some of you lot,
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I have found myself thinking a lot about Adam's story today. Parts of aboriginal history that we know in general but which become much more immediate (and to some extent more shocking) when it is personalised through someone we feel we know and think of as one of us.

For example, Lisa Sansbury's tears on seeing photos of the parents she never knew because she was taken from them at 5 years old. Her need for identification with her people symbolised by the tattoo on her arm. Two aboriginal women who were part of Goodes' family tree, one from the Adnyamathanha people and the other from the Narungga people, both bearing children of white fathers outside of marriage. Adam's moving and appropriate comment that it both disappointed and angered him that white men had thought it good enough to bed aboriginal women but not good enough to bring those children up as their own.

Primmy is right, it is a white ancestral story as well.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Just a tad disappointed that no mention of his father's background was shown...
    Apparently his dad was a collingwood supporter so nobody wanted to follow up on the black&white sheep of the family

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast