Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Malceski eyes move to Melbourne Demons

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We need to be mindful with Nick that he has had the good fortune to be around a club that has constantly competed (remember, he debuted in 2005, played in the GF in 2006 then won a premiership in 2012), which is wonderful- but quite often does mean that players are earning just that little bit less than they might earn elsewhere (not key forwards, obviously! ). He has also had 3 major knee injuries, which would have reduced his ability (well, his manager's) to drive up his price with other clubs- AND he's been a one club man for a decade, so he hasn't had that salary bump of going elsewhere... I can't be certain, but I'm sure he didn't sign a contract between the end of his excellent 2007 and the start of 2008 which probably would have been his best period to get a big jump. I imagine he is currently on significantly less than his market value.

I'd love for him to stay, he's absolutely one of my favourite players on the list- but I wouldn't be too surprised if he's earnt a fair bit less over his career to date than we might think, and if that is the case Roos would know it (whilst he wouldn't have worked the books himself, he would be aware). His current contract was just a 1 year extension for this season, I don't know if that was at the club's discretion or Nick's, but if we have a 1 year at below market rate "but you get to stick with the boys" offer on the table, and Melbourne have a 3 years at above market rate "you get to move back home and help Roosy build something" offer then it would be hard to beat. Particularly if he was planning to move home at the end of his career, he can get started on lining up his post career future as a barista or craft beer brewer now.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

I will hurt if we lose Shaw (retirement) and Malceski (poached) at the same time. But considering, if we can get a decent draft pick for Malceski and he is 31, it does make economic sense.

Maybe a straight swap of Frawley for Malceski.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Derryn23 View Post
    It's highly unlikely he would go to Melbourne. This would mean their compensation pick for Frawley leaving would be affected and they would not get a first round pick for him.
    Malceski at 30 years of age will not be interested in going to a bottom club for a rebuild. Salary cap space of over 750k will become available once O'keefe and LRT announce their retirements. Mal and his manager are holding off until they know the exact direction of the guys who are retiring.
    People assume that the retirements of ROK and LRT will free up salary cap space. I disagree. They are both not contracted next year and I don?t think the club was planning for ROK to be playing AFL Football at 34 and an injury ravished LRT to be playing at 31 or 32.

Malceski going could be the best thing for the Swans.

Rohan and Jones are ready to make an impact at AFL level of the half back line. McVeigh could spend some time down back as well as Mitchell, Lloyd, Heeney and Hewitt make progress towards playing more time in the midfield.

Denham's (and Barrett's for that matter) track-record with these sorts of things is very ordinary.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Senior Player
    wish him the best, but hope we can keep him at a fair price for both parties.

Just wild about Harry
    I wouldnt be surprised if Collingwood approaches him and offers the same amount but reminds him that it will go a lot further in Melbourne.

I'm surprised that the club would be busy trying to get another deal with Shaw done prior to resigning Mal.

I would of thought Mal(our chief distributor) would be a higher priority to keep on our playing list at this stage.

It would help our footy dept greatly if Goodsey would make his decision, sooner rather than later, and let them know (privately) what his intentions are.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I'm surprised that the club would be busy trying to get another deal with Shaw done prior to resigning Mal.

I would of thought Mal(our chief distributor) would be a higher priority to keep on our playing list at this stage.

It would help our footy dept greatly if Goodsey would make his decision, sooner rather than later, and let them know (privately) what his intentions are.
    I agree on shaw 2nd.

i'm sure they have a good idea where Goodsey stands.

Great servant. But wouldn't bemoan him chasing money at the end of his career. From Dean Moore's perspective he would probably think he has three guys chasing Mal's spot Tower, Rohan and Biggs one of whom will surpass him in two years.

Would miss him though great player and character

I would hate, absolutely inconsolably HATE to lose NicMal. But if Shaw retires, that's his running mate. It will all change. I can see someone take another tac here, especially with the lure of acting as a defence 'coach', which he would be brilliant at, and Roosey would use that lure too, who'd blame him. We already have a top flight one here, so...... Just because we are the Swans, and the best team in the competition, bar none, at every level, it doesn't mean that we can keep everyone all of the time. Waaaaaa!!!!! Deep breath....

Then again, its all a furfy and nah, nothing in it.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

We've spent a lot of money on Melcho. Do we get to keep the knees?

mal needs to set himself up
    we would love to keep Mal
    can we afford mal though ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast