Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Qualifying final V Freo

Sydney weather - local weather forecast

looks like we will be playing in he wet or slippery conditions again on the wknd !

i am truly hoping we are learning from our wet weather games.........it appears that we are still being picked off on our forward entries in the wet slippery games

what i have noticed was when Mal or Shaw came flying out of the backs and kicked it too our 1 attacker on 3 defenders upfront in the first half we really struggled and Richmond just kept jamming the ball back in our 50m defensive arc........for me opposition teams know we love to find a big target upfront and that means they know it the wet or slippery conditions that it is unlikely Shaw or Mal will take a bounce on their rebound plays and therefore they will simply kick it long to an unfair 1 on 2 or 1 on 3............we truly need to find that extra hand pass in the wet before kicking !

Freeo are fantastic at playing the same game plan as Richmond did on the wknd but they have many more forwards to capitalise on their forward pressure

I did like how we adjusted with small to med forwards in the last parts of the 2nd qtr and 3rd qtr though and hence why Rohan is so important to be in the team with his flexibility to play upfront or back in parts of the game to get a mis match and re adjust the opposition game plan
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    I agree Amp. We need to be very wary of Freo attack. They kicked 17 goals against Hawthorn recently. I feel much more confident with Laidler in defence. Gives us a solid defensive four.
    I guess we'll have to be the voices in the wilderness on this one, FS.

I still maintain that the beautifully underrated defensive play of three or four relieving handballs back to the goal line has been missing/slipshod since Laidler went out and was particularly exposed during the first 10 minutes of the Richmond game.

Blog Entries
    My Parents sat next to Mike Pyke on Saturday and he spent half the game burying his head in his hands at all the mistakes we made.
    I'm sure he'll be keen to get out there and take on the big Spider.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    My Parents sat next to Mike Pyke on Saturday and he spent half the game burying his head in his hands at all the mistakes we made.
    I'm sure he'll be keen to get out there and take on the big Spider.
    Glad to hear he was feeling the pain from the sidelines like the rest of us.

I think he will be absolutely fired up for the finals - he will be feeling the pressure, but he also knows from 2012 that he can do it on the biggest stage of all.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I guess we'll have to be the voices in the wilderness on this one, FS.

I still maintain that the beautifully underrated defensive play of three or four relieving handballs back to the goal line has been missing/slipshod since Laidler went out and was particularly exposed during the first 10 minutes of the Richmond game.
    I spent most of the year not rating Laidler all that highly until the first game he was dropped, I think it was when Shaw first came back in, v Essendon. That game I was aware that the back line was not operating as smoothly as it had been and came to the conclusion that it was because of Laidler's absence. Since then I have looked for him more, when Shaw was out again, and it seems to me that he really does play the 'gap filler' role like Marty. As with Marty you don't notice him all that much, he might do one or two dashes up the ground a match and sometimes is run off easily but he does make a difference.

The problem of course is that there is no spot for him with Shaw back in.

Looking ahead, if Rohan with his speed and tenacity is kept in the backline, Laidler's lack of pace may not be such an issue.

Umpires for firsts round of finals have been announced. We get Brett Rosebury, Justin Schmitt and Simon Meredith. Meredith is the ump who had to retire ill (and was rushed to hospital) with bleeding on the brain in the last quarter of our SCG match against Port Adelaide, so good his health has recovered from a big scare.

Also in the Whistle Blowers video on AFL site there is discussion and footage of the free and 50 metre penalty against Towers from Sat night. I had no idea what that was for at the time. It's about 3.50m in on the video.

AFL Video, Official AFL Footy Videos from the Australian Football League - AFL.com.au

Do people think there is room in our team for Mitchell when both Kennedy and Parker are in the team? Even alongside other inside midfielders we have like McGlynn and sometimes Bird

You'd think, if Bird comes back in this week, then Mitchell may miss out....

If so he's very unlucky, I'd leave him in, ahead of Bird (who I'm also a fan of) at this stage, but I'm no coach..

I doubt they'll go in with..McGlynn, Kennedy, Parker, Bird and Mitchell.. I reckon that would be 1 too many inside mids.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I reckon there is as both Parker and Kennedy go forward - with Sandilands dominating the rucks we will need to be doing a lot of tackling to stop Mundy and Fyfe breaking away and Mitchell certainly can tackle - good to have McGlynn back but he will need the run for sure - Mitchell is good insurance given it will probably be damp

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post

If so he's very unlucky, I'd leave him in, ahead of Bird (who I'm also a fan of) at this stage, but I'm no coach..

I doubt they'll go in with..McGlynn, Kennedy, Parker, Bird and Mitchell.. I reckon that would be 1 too many inside mids.
    +1
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post

I believe that Longmire has a system where he plays a maximum of three slow inside midfielders. In the first final we will have Kennedy, Parker and Mitchell. Bird needs to firstly get his body right, then he needs to push for one of those spots. It's most likely to be Mitchell as Kennedy and Parker are in the All Australian 40 man squad. I don't believe that Longmire will play the four of them together as you would need to omit a Lloyd or Cunningham and that would make the team too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I believe that Longmire has a system where he plays a maximum of three slow inside midfielders. In the first final we will have Kennedy, Parker and Mitchell. Bird needs to firstly get his body right, then he needs to push for one of those spots. It's most likely to be Mitchell as Kennedy and Parker are in the All Australian 40 man squad. I don't believe that Longmire will play the four of them together as you would need to omit a Lloyd or Cunningham and that would make the team too slow.
    I certainly don't think they'll omit Cunningham. Lloyd has been a bit in and out of games, but has the ability to impact games at critical times, and would be harshly done by. I have a sneaking suspicion he is going to be one that really steps it up come finals time as well.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast