Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodes and booing

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    I think it's a sad day when footy crowds have to be congratulated for simply acting like decent human beings. We need more kindness in our world.
    I agree, but given the events of recent weeks, and the mob mentality generally, it's good to be able to see a crowd act as they did last night. I suspect there were more than a few who were shamed into silence, but that's ok.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I had no trouble getting it. Aly is the essence of reasonableness, always worth reading/hearing.
    Aly is a hypocritical platitude-spruiking tip-rat of the highest order. Make no mistake on that score. Why the AFL would waste their time listening to anything that cretin had to say is beyond reason.
    Damn that Sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and I'm wankered on rohypnol!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by #73 View Post
    Aly is a hypocritical platitude-spruiking tip-rat of the highest order. Make no mistake on that score. Why the AFL would waste their time listening to anything that cretin had to say is beyond reason.
    Excuse me? Explain..........

Eh?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I enjoyed the pre match welcome to country and the single banner at Geelong on Saturday night. It was sort of eerie when Goodesy got the ball early. Almost silent. There were a couple of lonely booers but that was it. Great! I'm surprised no one has mentioned the huge cheers when Goodesy made mistakes though, and these became louder over the match. When he was squeezed in the forward pocket in the last quarter, escaped, took off, bounced and was run down (by Lonergan was it?). There was an enormous roar, perhaps the biggest of the match. It was as if the crowd felt they needed some sort of release from the constraints on their right to boo. Seemed classic Aussie larrikin behaviour. Sorta funny except missed the point of Goodesy having missed a game because of the pain he felt from previous crowd treatment. Still, this was a different energy to that of booing at the games I've been at. Preferable but left me wondering.
    Last edited by mcsean; 10th August 2015 at 08:00 AM. Reason: stupid iPad posted an incomplete response earlier

I don't have a problem with Adam being booed at certain times during a game i.e. lining up for goal etc or being cheered at when he makes a mistake (almost every other player in the league has been subjected to this at one time or another), but that is not what this is about. It was the constant booing that got to him (with the racist undertone).

To say that to boo Adam at ANY time is racist is incorrect and if it goes the other way and he doesn't get booed at all then that will be a story in itself.
    All Adam wants is to be treated like any other player.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I don't have a problem with Adam being booed at certain times during a game i.e. lining up for goal etc or being cheered at when he makes a mistake (almost every other player in the league has been subjected to this at one time or another), but that is not what this is about. It was the constant booing that got to him (with the racist undertone).

To say that to boo Adam at ANY time is racist is incorrect and if it goes the other way and he doesn't get booed at all then that will be a story in itself.
    That's right. The Geelong crowd treated him very differently to every other player on Saturday night. The lack of booing was terrific due respect to the sensitivity of the issues we know so well. No one dared boo him. The absurd/satirical 'extra' cheering (reserved just for Adam) when he made errors was also related to that issue. Not sure I enjoyed the vehemence in it during the last quarter.

You can't have it all people.
    Just ask Gill.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Blog Entries
    If you watch the crowd at the time when he gets pinged for HTB whilst streaming down the wing/pocket, you can see a few people making, what appears to be, spear throwing actions.

It was nice to see all the indigenous boys from the cats, not only shake his hand but hug him as well after the game.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post

I thought the Geelong crowd's response was spot on - with some muted exceptions very early in the game, they treated him like any other player. This was a parochial home crowd watching an important game, and while Goodes didn't have a great game, he did look like the only Swan likely to hit the scoreboard for large parts of the game. It is entirely natural for a crowd to cheer or jeer when he just missed. I am sure sections of the SCG crowd would have done exactly the same when Hawkins missed his sitters.

I really felt that the Geelong crowd watched him and responded to him as Adam Goodes, the erstwhile great Swan and now fading champion. Their responses were to acts that happened in the game, not the mindless relentless booing he (and we) have been subjected to for far too long.

Veterans List
    Still waiting for an explanation to the above piece of crap........are you there??? Or in hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Still waiting for an explanation to the above piece of crap........are you there??? Or in hiding?