Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Goodes and booing

Senior Player
    There seems to be a different opinion of how much booing there was at the st kinda game from those that were at the game to those who watched on TV.

I'm beginning to think that the booing was magnified on TV because the crowd microphones were near a group who booed just like another poster suggested.

Either way the news paper article is disgraceful for giving it airtime. If indeed it was minimal at the ground as it sounds like it was then we should just move on and not stir the pot.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I was at the ground and there was very little booing for Goodesy. They did boo Buddy as he lined up a kick, and I think (IIRC) also for Adam in same situation - so, traditional booing only. The Age, to their disgrace, also made an issue out of it.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    ... so, traditional booing only....
    I don't about traditional booing only, could be the racist element has worked out when to boo.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    I was at the game and there was no booing around me. You could hear slight booing from the other side of the ground (saints members area). As others have mentioned when Goodes was lining up for goal it was loud but that happens with other players. Seems like the television magnified the sound.

If we play Freo in the first week of the finals it will be interesting what happens. There was no booing from what I remember when we played them there earlier in the year. It was Hawks and Eagles supporters that were the worst so if we have to play either of them then that will be the real test.

Warming the Bench
    I watched the replay with the headphones on after that ridiculous article based purely on twitter comments! Apart from the first time Adam went near the ball, and all the "rebels" in the crowd decided to exercise their "right" to boo, there seemed to be only scattered booing aimed at him. I did notice a few Bruuuuces when Josh Bruce went near the ball, but 'near the ball' was the closest he got most of the time!

There were plenty of times Adam went near the ball and wasn't booed though. I think generally St Kilda fans got a raw deal, good to see Pridham stand up for them too. I was a bit surprised that Heeny didn't get a gobful after he gave away a (pretty soft) 50 metre late bump though. He probably wooed sainter fans too!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I don't about traditional booing only, could be the racist element has worked out when to boo.
    I don't know, racist elements are not really noted for their ability to work things out.
    Though if it intensifies at all, maybe it would be time for a ground announcer to take the lead: 'Could the f@#ktards on the eastern wing please get their knuckles off the ground'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I was at the game and there was no booing around me. You could hear slight booing from the other side of the ground (saints members area). As others have mentioned when Goodes was lining up for goal it was loud but that happens with other players. Seems like the television magnified the sound.

If we play Freo in the first week of the finals it will be interesting what happens. There was no booing from what I remember when we played them there earlier in the year. It was Hawks and Eagles supporters that were the worst so if we have to play either of them then that will be the real test.
    On one hand, I wouldn't really mind if the Freo supporters got a bit rabid: it would certainly mean that Jetts would be long odds of returning to W.A.

What I noticed most on tv was when Adam was booed,. the Swans mob cheered over the top of it.

Worked for me.

One of the most telling things that the mob mentality still hasn't got a grip on, is that the players of the other teams all respect him. He gets a lot of good attention after a game from all of them. That says nearly everything.

I noticed the Swans cheer squad cheering Schneider's goal, so did I, and I would also like to acknowledge that Adam planted a kiss on Scheider's forehead after the game. He's a very nice man.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I don't know, racist elements are not really noted for their ability to work things out.
    Though if it intensifies at all, maybe it would be time for a ground announcer to take the lead: 'Could the f@#ktards on the eastern wing please get their knuckles off the ground'.

- - - Updated - - -

On one hand, I wouldn't really mind if the Freo supporters got a bit rabid: it would certainly mean that Jetts would be long odds of returning to W.A.
    Jetta is going home, sadly. Nothing to do with salary, booing or anything else. The pull of family.

As much as the Swans have tried everything he's gone. It's what we get for him that matters now

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I was at the ground and there was very little booing for Goodesy. They did boo Buddy as he lined up a kick, and I think (IIRC) also for Adam in same situation - so, traditional booing only. The Age, to their disgrace, also made an issue out of it.
    Other papers also made an issue of it. I was at the game and it did not happened to any great extent. The only booing that occurred was when Goodes was rewarded with an ridiculous 50 meter penalty, if I was a St Kilda supporter, I would have also booed. Cannot believe what u read in papers! What did the news about Jetta definitely leaving come from??

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Jetta is going home, sadly. Nothing to do with salary, booing or anything else. The pull of family.

As much as the Swans have tried everything he's gone. It's what we get for him that matters now
    What is it with Aussie Rules players and the 'I wanna go home' factor'. You never hear this happening in other sports. They had the parents of STK's American ruckman, Jason Holmes, on a halftime interview. They've got kids all over the place playing sports. Jetta's 26 year's old, married with a couple of kids. He's not a baby. Why does he need to go home to Mama? He's got plenty of love in Sydney from the fans and his team mates. I really don't understand it. I can't see him going anywhere.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    What is it with Aussie Rules players and the 'I wanna go home' factor'. You never hear this happening in other sports. They had the parents of STK's American ruckman, Jason Holmes, on a halftime interview. They've got kids all over the place playing sports. Jetta's 26 year's old, married with a couple of kids. He's not a baby. Why does he need to go home to Mama? He's got plenty of love in Sydney from the fans and his team mates. I really don't understand it. I can't see him going anywhere.
    Error it's nothing to do with 'go home to Mama'. It's cultural. Holmes is not Aboriginal.

We love Goodes for standing with his culture. Part of that is broader sense of family.

Jetta is the same. Like it or not, it's what it is. Some like Goodes or MIcky O work through it. Some struggle with it.

Jetta is in the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    What is it with Aussie Rules players and the 'I wanna go home' factor'.
    Funny, so many other occupations people move States (or countries) for work. It's expected. We cope.
    Many other cultures also have a strong sense of family.