Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodes and booing

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide Swan View Post
    If the booing continues especially at the Cattery next weekend, I'd love to see both teams walk off the field in protest. The AFL seem powerless to do anything and it may be up to the players to take a stand.
    I would applaud this reaction by both clubs but doubt it will happen, it would be a truly groundbreaking moment

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    When it's ok to boo an opposition player (in my opinion):-

- When he is lining up a set shot and you're trying to put him off
    - If he does something dirty during the game (eg Broadbent on Parker). He can be booed for the remainder of that quarter at least
    - If he has said something deriding your club or your team in the lead up to the match (rarely happens these days)
    - If he is an ex-player lining up for his first game against his former club, particularly if he left as a free agent.
    - If he has dived or simulated, again during the rest of that quarter or, to a lesser extent, the game

That's it. Anyone saying it's for anything else is kidding themselves. It's racially based and if they're just doing it "because they can" when it's clearly hurting another person or people, then it's arguably even worse.
    I think that's fair.

I must say that I have changed my attitude to Nathan Buckley since he has atrted appearing on AFL360, really respected him for how he talked about his biys and what is acceptable behaviour when they go to the footy

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide Swan View Post
    If the booing continues especially at the Cattery next weekend, I'd love to see both teams walk off the field in protest. The AFL seem powerless to do anything and it may be up to the players to take a stand.
    I suspect it's going to take something like that to stop it. I don't really know what the AFL CAN do when so many people are doing it now. They've said it should stop, fans who are identified for making racist comments, such as the moron at Subiaco on Sunday, are ejected, but they can't throw 20,000 people out for booing.

I agree on Buckley too. Shame he's at the club he's at. :-)
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Let them boo.
    Keep talking loud and proud Adam.
    Stand there and tell them racism should stop... until it has.
    One day, Adam Goodes will be the name that changed Australia and it's racist attitude.
    He'll do more for Indigenous relations than anyone who has gone before him.
    I wait for that day.
    Excellent post Annie!

I, too, firmly believe that in years to come, Goodesy will be seen as an agent of significant change.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    It is going to take something dramatic, for certain.

Apparently, the buffoon who got ejected for screaming at Adam to 'get back to the zoo' reckons it's all PC madness and he was the one who felt humiliated. That's the logic of what we're dealing with.

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Let them boo.
    Keep talking loud and proud Adam.
    Stand there and tell them racism should stop... until it has.
    One day, Adam Goodes will be the name that changed Australia and it's racist attitude.
    He'll do more for Indigenous relations than anyone who has gone before him.
    I wait for that day.
    You're right Annie, in respect to Adam, but if we just let them boo it's condoning racial vilification. It's a matter of whether the AFL and the nation as whole want to allow using Adam as cover for public expression of racism. We all know it's there, but it's just such an ugly look.

I honestly don't know where it all leads to. I look to America and see that regardless of all the cold blooded police murders of African Americans and all the publicity it gets, it just goes on as if nothing has happened.

Could you just imagine the fans booing Nick Riewoldt because he made such a big issue about a rare disease that unfortunately afflicted his sister. And the fans justifying it by saying he's drawing attention to himself and his own little personal grief. Why should we be spending our beer money on something that's very unlikely to affect me. Or Neil Daniher's fundraising for motor neuron disease that captured the headlines for several weeks. What's the problem with Adam drawing attention to the far greater problems of deaths and poverty in his community due to poor health care, disenfranchisement, mistreatment in custody and lack of fair opportunity.

Everyone else can cry out 'help me, help me.' But if a black person does it, we say 'shut up and get back in your box.' And if you don't, we'll let you know how we feel every time you get on a footy field.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    It is going to take something dramatic, for certain.

Apparently, the buffoon who got ejected for screaming at Adam to 'get back to the zoo' reckons it's all PC madness and he was the one who felt humiliated. That's the logic of what we're dealing with.

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    Yes, and that sort of 'logic' is constantly encouraged by all the rightard opinion formers, who have been given their own newspaper columns, TV spots, or talkback radio programs. Or in Andrew Bolt's case, all of the above. That is, they spend much of their time attacking minorities from the comfort of their bully pulpits, but as soon as a significant number of people start to criticise their obnoxious opinions, it's 'help, help, I'm being oppressed'.

We like to think that our country is easy going and subscribes to the fair go attitude in life. The booing is not a reaction to being told what not to do ( our rebellion against authority !! ) but clearly a avenue for bonehead bogans to vent their racial ideology. We like to portray a image of tolerance but once someone like Goods basically stands up for himself and his race these people want him to be put back into his place.

What's worse for me is not just the idiots booing but the simple lemmings that boo because it's the thing to do. This story is far from over and could end very well or very bad.

Senior Player
    [QUOTE=chrispy2808;677757]Thats exactly what I'm doing!
    This is a forum isn't it![/QUOTE
    Opinion or accusation? Are you sure you read what you wrote?

Senior Player
    Another well-argued case against the boos:

Adam Goodes: why his critics' arguments just don't stack up | Russell Jackson | Sport | The Guardian

Would love to see a walk-off next time this happens. The lack of empathy displayed by some people is just stunning. It's just become all about "my right to boo." Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    You're right Annie, in respect to Adam, but if we just let them boo it's condoning racial vilification. It's a matter of whether the AFL and the nation as whole want to allow using Adam as cover for public expression of racism. We all know it's there, but it's just such an ugly look.

I honestly don't know where it all leads to. I look to America and see that regardless of all the cold blooded police murders of African Americans and all the publicity it gets, it just goes on as if nothing has happened.

Could you just imagine the fans booing Nick Riewoldt because he made such a big issue about a rare disease that unfortunately afflicted his sister. And the fans justifying it by saying he's drawing attention to himself and his own little personal grief. Why should we be spending our beer money on something that's very unlikely to affect me. Or Neil Daniher's fundraising for motor neuron disease that captured the headlines for several weeks. What's the problem with Adam drawing attention to the far greater problems of deaths and poverty in his community due to poor health care, disenfranchisement, mistreatment in custody and lack of fair opportunity.

Everyone else can cry out 'help me, help me.' But if a black person does it, we say 'shut up and get back in your box.' And if you don't, we'll let you know how we feel every time you get on a footy field.
    I agree.

Also, there's no discomfort in being asked to care about MND or another medical condition. At best only a few dollars is being asked of us and no soul-searching or self-reflection. Whereas the impoverishment, disenfranchisement and systemic disadvantage of indigenous Australians requires us to face some awkward questions about our role and about what we could or should do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Another well-argued case against the boos:

Adam Goodes: why his critics' arguments just don't stack up | Russell Jackson | Sport | The Guardian

Would love to see a walk-off next time this happens. The lack of empathy displayed by some people is just stunning. It's just become all about "my right to boo." Pathetic.
    Ta, Neil: I do like article that takes you systemically through the arguments and then insightfully tears those arguments to little bits.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I agree. The booing is wrong but trying to fight the booing won't work. Never has and never will.

The worst thing Goodesy said was that he was hurt by the booing. Since then it has increased. Then he goes and does the war dance which only inflamed the situation. Every other player who gets boo'd, regardless of whether they like it or not, says that they like it and it Spurs them on. Goodesy needed to say that and it would have eventually died down.
    I think it is good that Goodesy has said he is hurt by the booing. I think it is old school sentiment to never show pain or how you are feeling and disapprove if others do. I think that approach is the type of thing that can drive people to suicide instead of seeking help. It compounds the hurt because you feel ashamed of it that you can't speak about it. It is also unfair because it places the burden and the responsibility on the person being hurt not those doing the hurting. I think there is space for both to look at their own responsibility but certainly no cause to let off those doing the harm.

I think it is more courageous of Adam to reveal his vulnerability and it is desirable because if people have any empathy hopefully it will cause them to reconsider their actions. I imagine that some, maybe many, people who are booing him think it is harmless or at least underestimate the pain and hurt it causes. Revealing the impact reduces the scope for that 'sheep' type reaction and also gives less excuses to those who continue to boo.

I'm even impressed that Goodesy has such good awareness of his own feelings when many of us don't - I include myself to some degree.

Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast