Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodes and booing

Quote Originally Posted by monopoly19 View Post
    Having said that, he dives/stages and also whinges for free kicks from the umps instead of just getting on with the game. He's such a good footballer he doesn't need to do it, which makes it very frustrating to watch.
    Congratulations!
    You obviously have a skill that the rest of us don't.
    That is the ability to read minds or does your skill only extend to Goodes!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispy2808 View Post
    Congratulations!
    You obviously have a skill that the rest of us don't.
    That is the ability to read minds or does your skill only extend to Goodes!
    I don't believe that monopoly19 attempted to read minds but simply stated an opinion. This is a forum isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    According to Dermie, Goodes needs to review his on-field antics and work out what he can do to change his theatrics.

What an absolute flog. I can't believe what comes out of his mouth.
    That's utter crap. Admittedly, Goodes did go through a period of staging for free kicks last year or the year before but this year he's done nothing different to any other player. Dermie is so bias twit. He shouldn't be commentating if he he can't be reasonably impartial.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    It's getting to me - I hope Adam doesn't say anything more on the subject. I hope Lewis doesn't let it affect him like that again. I hope the club leaves it alone and puts the focus on reversing our current poor form. Let the morons show their true colours on social media and at games and wherever else they care to voice their juvenile and damaged opinions.

Whatever Adam and the club says from now won't change the mentality of the bottom-feeding 'I'm not racist but your a flog' (sic) brigade. Let them boo and say whatever they like and put the spotlight of embarrassment on the AFL and the nation as a whole. Show themselves for the dolts they are. Adam and Lewis and the rest of the club and us should just shut up shop and get on with the season and really hit the embarrassing morons where it hurts when it matters.
    I agree. The booing is wrong but trying to fight the booing won't work. Never has and never will.

The worst thing Goodesy said was that he was hurt by the booing. Since then it has increased. Then he goes and does the war dance which only inflamed the situation. Every other player who gets boo'd, regardless of whether they like it or not, says that they like it and it Spurs them on. Goodesy needed to say that and it would have eventually died down.

QUOTE: "Every other player who gets boo'd, regardless of whether they like it or not, says that they like it and it Spurs them on. "

I think it is fine to boo an opposition player when they are lining up for goal etc, but every time they touch the footy is over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    I don't believe that monopoly19 attempted to read minds but simply stated an opinion. This is a forum isn't it?
    Thats exactly what I'm doing!
    This is a forum isn't it!

I was listening to MMM on my way in this morning when the Goodes v Booing situation came up

Matty Johns was firmly on Goodes side-he pointed out that unlike any other player perhaps anywhere he is booed every time he touches the ball. He also saw a pretty clear correlation between the booing and racism (and said the AFL management of the situation was appalling). The other two were of the opinion that you pay to go to the game so you can do as you like (close to verbatim) and that you can boo someone without being racist. First two callers in called Adam a d-head and a @@@@@. The second actually said that Adam brought it on himself for having a fuss over the racist kid, and he should basically pull his head in (and got called a d-head by Johns). I turned the radio off but it got me pretty thinking
    Neither listener came across as an AFL fan; they both used NRL players getting booed as an example of why it is ok to boo Adam which says the issue is growing outside of AFL control. When people who would only have a vague idea of who Goodes is (based on my own sketchy knowledge of who NRL players are) feel like they can jeer one of the greats of the game for being a sook and diving/playing for frees and basically parrot what lowest common denominator are saying it says to me the issue is racial.
    If hypothetically Heritier Lumumba had pointed out the girl, gone on to be the AoTY and campaign against racism would he be treated with the same contempt? Sadly, the answer is likely yes, though he'd to a degree be shielded by the pies umbrella. Now what if it had been Brett Kirk? Or Dane Swan? How would the mob treat them?

I am sure for some people is just a herd mentality thing but for others it seems to be a secret release, they don�t view themselves as racist but get a thrill out of being able to �legitimately� boo an Indigenous Australian and get away with it.

Don�t know what the solution is & I'm rambling
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Let them boo.
    Keep talking loud and proud Adam.
    Stand there and tell them racism should stop... until it has.
    One day, Adam Goodes will be the name that changed Australia and it's racist attitude.
    He'll do more for Indigenous relations than anyone who has gone before him.
    I wait for that day.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

When it's ok to boo an opposition player (in my opinion):-

- When he is lining up a set shot and you're trying to put him off
    - If he does something dirty during the game (eg Broadbent on Parker). He can be booed for the remainder of that quarter at least
    - If he has said something deriding your club or your team in the lead up to the match (rarely happens these days)
    - If he is an ex-player lining up for his first game against his former club, particularly if he left as a free agent.
    - If he has dived or simulated, again during the rest of that quarter or, to a lesser extent, the game

That's it. Anyone saying it's for anything else is kidding themselves. It's racially based and if they're just doing it "because they can" when it's clearly hurting another person or people, then it's arguably even worse.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Up There For Sydney! Adelaide Swan's Avatar
    If the booing continues especially at the Cattery next weekend, I'd love to see both teams walk off the field in protest. The AFL seem powerless to do anything and it may be up to the players to take a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Let them boo.
    Keep talking loud and proud Adam.
    Stand there and tell them racism should stop... until it has.
    One day, Adam Goodes will be the name that changed Australia and it's racist attitude.
    He'll do more for Indigenous relations than anyone who has gone before him.
    I wait for that day.
    Spot on!

Goodes is an endorsed leader of indigenous Australians, and he, and other aboriginal leaders, must be delighted that he is so potently putting racism in the headlines almost daily. The average Australian (like me) is smug and apathetic about the plight of indigenous Australians - we like our aboriginal sports people to be seen and not heard. Now that Goodes (and Jetta) have said 'to hell with that' we're shocked and affronted - we can't really all be closet racists, can we?

It probably wasn't planned, but this whole affair has been a political masterstroke. A footy crowd is a reasonable demographic cross-section, and to demonstrate over and over that a significant proportion are racist bigots has been a sickening eye-opener for the rest of us. And that reaction has been reinforced by the snide, back-of-the hand comments coming from some of the good-old-boys in the footy media.

We could indeed be witnessing a water-shed in race relations in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide Swan View Post
    If the booing continues especially at the Cattery next weekend, I'd love to see both teams walk off the field in protest. The AFL seem powerless to do anything and it may be up to the players to take a stand.
    Thats the only thing that will make an impact. But needs to be led, or at least supported, by the Geelong players.

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast