Thread: Vale Fred Goldsmith

Warming the Bench

Vale Fred Goldsmith

Two weeks ago, at Docklands, I had the absolute honour of sitting alongside South legend Fred Goldsmith for the second half.

We talked about the umpires (he thought they were terrible - but he agreed with the Mills decision), where the Swans were at and marvelled at the brilliance of Buddy as he nearly dragged the team over the line.

At the siren, he shook my hand and I walked out feeling a lot better than I normally would after a loss.

Little did I know that it would be his last Swans game!

The only fullback to win a Brownlow, Swans Team of the Century, and a really lovely bloke to sit and watch the footy with.

R.I.P Mr Goldsmith

Senior Player
    Ah terrible news! Met Fred - who knew my Dad - at the Dorset Gardens hotel in about 1975. He seemed so huge with big hands to me at that time. A real Gentleman and my Dad regaled me with tales of his playing - especially his marking and kicking. Met him again 30 years later after my Dad had died - still the same Fred - a great man.

R.I.P.

Long Term Injury List
    I have always been in awe of Fred Goldsmith. He would occasionally stop in the street for a chat with my Dad, they used to kick the footy together as kids. He made my Dad look small even though he was over 6ft. My Dad always marvelled at his talents on the field. A lovely, gentleman.

Senior Player
    Goodbye old friend.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Vale Fred .A great footballer and a great man.Atrue and loyal Swan.it has been a pleasure to know you R.I.P.

Farewell to another wonderful old Swan. From what I've heard, a fantastic footballer and an absolute gentleman to go with it. RIP.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."