Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodes and booing

Goodes and booing

Most of us have probably noticed that Goodes is now readily booed at away games when he gets the ball.

When are people's thoughts on the motivation of away fans doing this?

Is it the staging issue? Or tall poppy syndrome - ie being Australian of the Year? Or because Goodes is outspoken on racism and some people don't like it? Or connected to Goodes calling out the girl who called him an "ape" at last years Collingwood game? Or because he's a bit different and doesn't come across as the clich�d Aussie bloke?

What do people think? Anyone got friends who boo him and know why they do so?

staging I'd say.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veterans List
    Goodes was being booed in Melbourne way before last year's racism issue. I seem to recall it started the year when he was reported and was cleared a couple of times. He was labeled a "protected species". The first game I remembered him being booed was against North Melbourne and I was shocked.

But since the racism issue the hatred towards Goodes has grown and he has been labeled a sook. The staging issue has just exasperated it.

There are a lot of footballers out there that people dislike just because they are champions. I'll give one example in Selwood and the "ducking" issue.

I just want Goodes to let his football do the talking.

Against the Dogs in Melbourne recently, Goodesy got away with a couple of 50/50 frees for and against in the first quarter. The parochial crowd were outraged, and the booing intensified. The staging accusations will make things worse I'd say. Whatever it is, it's ordinary to hear it. He's always so dignified in his response though: Adam Goodes takes centre stage

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Goodes was being booed in Melbourne way before last year's racism issue. I seem to recall it started the year when he was reported and was cleared a couple of times. He was labeled a "protected species". The first game I remembered him being booed was against North Melbourne and I was shocked.

But since the racism issue the hatred towards Goodes has grown and he has been labeled a sook. The staging issue has just exasperated it.

There are a lot of footballers out there that people dislike just because they are champions. I'll give one example in Selwood and the "ducking" issue.

I just want Goodes to let his football do the talking.
    Yep, I think so

Opti-pessi-misti
    You can include 'herd mentality' in the list too. It's become a bit like 'the thing to do' for opposition supporters, something to hang your frustration on especially if your team is losing which against the Swans is mostly the case.

Of course Goodesy's staging does not help! I hope Horse or someone will/has looked him in the eye and said, 'Don't do that, you don't need to, you are a champion, it does not look good'.

I'm a huge fan of Goodes, especially the work he's done to combat racism inside and outside of AFL. He seems like an A+ human being. Having said that, he dives/stages and also whinges for free kicks from the umps instead of just getting on with the game. He's such a good footballer he doesn't need to do it, which makes it very frustrating to watch.

man Goodes had 3 pulls over the shoulder when going for a ball in one on ones in our 50m arc in the last 2qtrs

If Fyfe was in the same position i can guarantee he would have been paid 2 out of 3

Goodes got paid none and they were blatant !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    man Goodes had 3 pulls over the shoulder when going for a ball in one on ones in our 50m arc in the last 2qtrs

If Fyfe was in the same position i can guarantee he would have been paid 2 out of 3

Goodes got paid none and they were blatant !
    And I didn't notice that he drew the umps' attention to any of them. I'd be happy if that was a sign of the future.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

There are a lot of people who are using the staging as a pretext for generalised abuse of Goodes. They're objecting to much more than his behaviour on the footy field.

Very sad

I was sitting in bright Victoria with one of my good friends tonight after a great day snowboarding

Great dinner
    Great company at dinner (our partners who left is to watch the last 3qtrs)

I was listening to a couple of port supporters watching the game saying how they "hate Goodes"

When Goodes got his goal and was starting to make a serious impression onthe game I said out loud "australian of the year"

With excitement and proud of my Adam Goodes

Silence was the response
    Then sniggering
    Then later when he scored or made a valuable play I heard "I hate that black $&@) "

I turned to my mate and said we still haven't really come that far

Still we have a significant population that arks up to a proud black outspoken man

I thought times were change'n ?

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I thought times were change'n ?
    Yeah, nah.

There were are few subtle signs coming out of the Goodes-Jetta interview on the Swans website that would suggest that the booing could influence Adam's decision to retire at the end of this season. And who could blame him. I think he's playing well enough at the moment to play on if he wants.

It would be very sad if an aboriginal player were forced out of the game due to racism. I don't have any solution because it's a problem with our society in general. Nonetheless, the AFL has to take some kind of stance and action that's more meaningful than what's already been done so far. It's such a bad reflection on the game and Australia as a nation.

Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast