Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 AFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    Who would you liken him to? Saddington?
    No probably more Grundy size. I think if he is a big boy now he is only going to get bigger as he grows up. He is solid build.

I like McDonald. whether he lasts to 37 is the point I think. Maybe the Victorians have something more on him.

I also like Creeper. He is the smoky as far as I can see. I like the footage of him. The WA mob can tell us more as he is from Subi. Swans Fan 51 can maybe tell us a bit more.

Tester also impresses. He was a mid until this year apparently when he suddenly shot up to 198cm. He became a KPD very quickly, growing suddenly 6cm will do that. He marks like he is 198cm but plays the ground like a mid. Plenty to like from his footage and there are still ups for him seeing he only just switched to defence.

Pick 37 is a very important pick for us this year seeing as it's almost certain that our first 2 picks next year (and possibly more) will be used with Mills and Dunkley which will make the rest of the league hate us more and envy our midfield. We really need to either get lucky with a McDonald type slipping or have another tall defender in mind as it could be our major weakness going forward. Here's hoping we get a beauty to add to Heeney and give us an A+ draft heading into a big 2015 and with 2 more gems waiting to be added to our list for 2016! Exciting times Swans fans!

And following on from that we really need to be shrewd with a couple of smart rookie choices that hopefully fill some holes in the list eg young kpp's or even a genuine small forward. What would be greatest of all though would be that AJ finally get the luck that he deserves and have no more setbacks and continue to forge the career that started off so promisingly! Perhaps Goodesy's stem cell treatment could play a part in healing his knee! . Does anyone know where he is actually at and if he has had the surgery again yet, and if so was it another Lars or traditional? The boy needs a change of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    And following on from that we really need to be shrewd with a couple of smart rookie choices that hopefully fill some holes in the list eg young kpp's or even a genuine small forward. What would be greatest of all though would be that AJ finally get the luck that he deserves and have no more setbacks and continue to forge the career that started off so promisingly! Perhaps Goodesy's stem cell treatment could play a part in healing his knee! . Does anyone know where he is actually at and if he has had the surgery again yet, and if so was it another Lars or traditional? The boy needs a change of luck!
    Last time I heard AJ was just getting over the infection in his knee. The stem cell therapy Goodes is doing would be no good for the injury AJ has I don't think. If the infrction is gone he will have LARS immediately. That means 3 months out and then a he has to get fitness back to optimum because up until the third month he will be on a limited program which increases as he heals. Once he is back in full training you can expect to see him about a month later playing full matches.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    This AJ situation is a huge disadvantage for us. He was one of the best players on the ground in the 2012 GF at the age of 19 or 20. Just think how good he would be for us now if he was playing. He's such a nice young kid and his family are lovely people. Shame it had to be him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Last time I heard AJ was just getting over the infection in his knee. The stem cell therapy Goodes is doing would be no good for the injury AJ has I don't think. If the infrction is gone he will have LARS immediately. That means 3 months out and then a he has to get fitness back to optimum because up until the third month he will be on a limited program which increases as he heals. Once he is back in full training you can expect to see him about a month later playing full matches.
    My understanding is that they are unable to do tests to see if the infection is there or not. I believe it secrets itself into the tissue or something like that. Therefore they will just wait as long as possible in the hope that it is gone before operating. Does anyone know about this?

There are some interesting assessments by Emma Quayle in her annual draft article. There's a link provided by Liz in the Heeney thread but I'll put another one here:

2014 AFL draft a level playing field for recruiters

I have a very high regard for EQ's draft analysis, so it was great to see her put Heeney at the top of the heap. She has placed a fair number of players in different parts of the the rankings compared to the consensus of other top journalists like Twomey and Anderson. The GWS academy player Jack Steele made it to 12th spot, while Hugh Goddard dropped to 23, just to name of couple of these.

Her paragraph about who missed her top 30 is interesting:
    As always, there wasn't enough room for everyone. Hardest to leave out was another Sydney-bound player, Abe Davis, with Reece and Daniel McKenzie not far behind. Billy Stretch and Zaine Cordy look the goods and I can see Touk Miller, Dan Howe, Lukas Webb, Damien Cavka, James Rose, Declan Hamilton and Oscar McDonald, among others, going on to play some good AFL football
    She seems to place Abe Davis just outside of the top 30. Some other analysts have put Hiscox in this range as well, so they are both looking as potential good value picks. I thought Davis drifted out of several of the games he played with the reserves squad, but did well in the NSW under 18s. He does show flashes of brilliance, especially with his marking.

Dan Howe might come into contention at our pick 37. He's a bit undersized for a key defender at 191cm, but is a strong mark and can play on talls. He looks an Alex Johnson type. I hope Alex overcomes his knee injury; it's hard to assess his chances. Howe might be a good choice given the situation.

There are a couple of brutish midfielders that will go early in the draft, probably to the Saints and Demons. These guys are already JPK size players.
    3 Christian Petracca (Eastern Ranges, 4/1/96, 186cm, 95kg)
    6 Angus Brayshaw (Sandringham Dragons, 9/1/96, 187cm, 91kg)
    There was a strange comment from Kinnear Beatson from about a month ago that sticks in my mind. He said, IIRC, he didn't think the draft was very deep especially with KPPs. I posted a comment on that at the time. It becomes even stranger given the consensus that this is a deep draft, especially with taller types. A deep draft would be good for us, given we have 4 picks in the rookie draft and some decent players might slip through. I'm preparing myself for a weird choice by KB at our pick 37.

Despite the angst over our trading ban, we could emerge from the post season period with some good additions to our playing list.

We have picked reasonably well in the last few years. People might say what about Lewis Johnston or Lamb. You are right they both didn't develop as hoped and one jumped ship on a jumped up contract. But we have drafted since 2008; Alex Johnson (57), Lewis Jetta (14), Dan Hannaberry (30), Harry Cunningham (rookie), Tom Mitchell (F/S), Zac Jones (15), Gary Rohan (6), Dean Towers (22), Dane Rampe (Rookie), Luke Parker (40), Brandon Jack (Rookie), Jake Lloyd (Rookie).

I have only included players who have played more than two games of senior footy. After watching last season's games again I really think Towers will be ok. He did some very nice things, stuff you don't notice from the stands or just watching on telly. some of his shepherding, tackling & blocking work was super. He also got the ball out of sticky situations with clever little flicks that gave us free ball and in most cases resulted in goals. I also think Zac Jones is going to be a beauty. He hits the ball so hard and will fight with the devil to get the ball. He may have to if he ever plays on Hodge or Lewis. I bags him to be the first to knock a Hawk out in the GF if we play them. Nothing illegal of course just run through him.

I think we need to look for grunt (there is another word for it but not here). Yes they have to have ability but they must also have that killer instinct and the desire to play for the jumper.

LUDWIG

i wonder if KB was saying this in the context of who we have on our books ie what we have in depth is superior in most areas

i didnt think last years draft was particularly impressive in depth either
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I also think Zac Jones is going to be a beauty. He hits the ball so hard and will fight with the devil to get the ball. He may have to if he ever plays on Hodge or Lewis. I bags him to be the first to knock a Hawk out in the GF if we play them. Nothing illegal of course just run through him.

I think we need to look for grunt (there is another word for it but not here). Yes they have to have ability but they must also have that killer instinct and the desire to play for the jumper.
    That is exactly what I like about what I've seen of Jones so far. We need to find some mongrel, some 'edge' within our team, and hopefully he will be able to be the first to provide it. I think Heeney has it in him too - I'm looking forward to seeing eddie cry the first time that Heeney (assuming he develops as hoped) puts in a BOG against the Colliwobbles.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I know most of us (including me) are hoping we can land a quality tall KPD with our only live pick in the draft, but if the club feels that none that are available at our pick are worth taking so early I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted young Jack Lonie. If he was 10 cm taller there would be no change he'd be there at pick 37 but he brings something to us that I believe we don't currently have in a pure small forward with great foot skills, goal sense and lightening speed! Most of the top sides now have these types running around putting great pressure on when they don't have the ball etc but I feel it's something we lack, especially with our great tall forwards to rove off! He says he tries to model his game on a Hayden Balantyne and as most opposition supporters can't stand him, I'd certainly be happy if he was running around in red and white! Food for thought anyway....

Opti-pessi-misti
    The 'experts' on afl.com have suggested backman Daniel Nielson for us. In their estimation Oscar McDonald will no longer be around at pick 37. Daniel's video clip was quite impressive but he looked more the AJ type of defender than an Alex Rance.

2014 Draft Profile Dan Nielson - AFL News - AFLfeeds.com

Dan Nielson (Eastern Ranges)

Height: 193 cm
    Weight: 90 kg
    Position: Key Back
    Strengths: Spoiling, reading of the play, athletic
    Areas of improvement: Versatility, ball getting
    Player comparison: Cale Hooker

Draft prospect: Daniel Nielson - AFL.com.au
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast