Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: 2014 AFL Draft

Goes up to 11
    As others have said, Rose looks to be a bit of a Membrey replacement. There won't be any rush with him so hopefully his development comes along ok over the next couple of years.

I note Caleb Daniel, who was a teammate of his and pops up a few times in the highlights package, was still available when we got to our pick. Now he would have been an exciting selection. He's about 5 foot nothing but that kid can play - the Bulldogs got a good one there so watch out for him.....

Skippos
    Skippos
    Yesterday at 1:44 AM
    I'd come in here to comment on Rose and see I've already been mentioned. Thanks for the kind words Membling

You've got a keeper here in Rose. I mightn't have been as complimentary of him as I could have been in my profiles and rankings but this is the perfect club for him. I've followed Rose closely this year and have been privileged to see him do things that we wouldn't have seen in highlights.

He'll buy in to your culture - he's a kid from one of the top schools in Adelaide but not one of the pretentious all boys schools that get a bad wrap here. He's an educated and smart kid, got reasonable leadership and great application. He leaves everything on the field - he'll work for the team and his teammates will know that when they go into battle, Rose is coming with them. Never need to worry about him taking the soft option. As a bloke he'll develop into a good team man. He's perhaps a little young now - maybe more so than most draftees; I still feel he's a kid not a man but it shouldn't take long for him to adjust.

He's not Membrey. Not close. I'd take 10 James Roses before I took a Membrey. Rose is a brilliant pound for pound contested grab. He hits the ball hard, he leads so hard and steamrolls anything in his way. He's a good shot for goal and a smart forward. His leads are incredible really. He doesn't have a burst but he's capable of leading so hard for so long he burns off his opponent. He hits the red zone in a short term burst and just keeps going - a bit like Nick Riewoldt at times with regards to that extreme mental ability to run so hard to take one mark. Up the ground he's a composed and poised natural footballer. He's not an incredible athlete nor are his skills elite but his natural footballing ability allows him to be a capable option off a wing or in defence.

He's a keeper boys.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    As others have said, Rose looks to be a bit of a Membrey replacement. There won't be any rush with him so hopefully his development comes along ok over the next couple of years.

I note Caleb Daniel, who was a teammate of his and pops up a few times in the highlights package, was still available when we got to our pick. Now he would have been an exciting selection. He's about 5 foot nothing but that kid can play - the Bulldogs got a good one there so watch out for him.....
    There is a moment on the YouTube highlights clip of an U18 championship game that I remember watching at the time. It was a game where Daniel was so far head and shoulders the best player on the ground that it wasn't funny. The moment I remember was Caleb kicking a goal from tight on the boundary line over his shoulder, while the Vic team was trying to rush the ball over and SA was trying to keep a scoring chance alive as the siren rapidly approached. While I remembered it was Daniel who kicked the goal, I now know who it was that intelligently knocked the ball back into play when it was nearly through for a behind - our very own James Rose.

I think the feature I like best from that highlights package is that he seems to be a thinker, but a quick one. He tries to keep the ball moving to the advantage of his team, sometimes with the unconventional. What he tried to do didn't always come off but I liked the tap ons, either along the ground or in the air when he knew he couldn't take clean possession himself.

He also looks really competitive. I remember someone (probably Beatson) commenting on what had attracted him to AJ in his draft year. He said that Alex hadn't really stood out from the crowd for much of the season, and there were a fair number of options with similar athletic and physical attributes. But then he saw him in one late season game where AJ's will for his team to win, and his inclination to fight for every possession, convinced the Swans that he might have that "it" that turns a solid under age player into a potential AFL player. There are signs of that in those short clips of Rose too. Sure, you need to take any highlights reel with caution, but taken with the comments the club has made about what appealed to them with Rose, you do start to get a sense of what he might be able to bring to the table.

sounds like ROK mkII

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Nickname - what about Sir James?

Steeleye Span - Sir James Rose - YouTube
    He comes from Adelaide. He is probably already called 'Rosie'

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    He comes from Adelaide. He is probably already called 'Rosie'
    A Whole Lotta Rosie
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Nickname - what about Sir James?

Steeleye Span - Sir James Rose - YouTube
    Axl

Goes up to 11
    I was thinking Angry - Rose Tattoo?

Emma Quayle seems to think we did okay in the draft, including Rose:

A lot of the Swans' work was done pre-draft. Isaac Heeney has all the qualities to become the best player from the draft, Jack Hiscox's running ability is made but Abe Davis is the one to keep an eye on, given his size and the way he can move. James Rose played at half-forward for South Australia in the national championships but is one who will be able to push up and back. A nice pick at 37.
    Besides the already noted vertical leap numbers for Rose, he also ran a 2.97 20 mtr sprint and did a very respectable 14.6 in the beep test.

I'm happy to see that the 2 weakest teams, Saints and Demons, both selected well in the draft and can hopefully start moving up the ladder, or at least being more competitive on a consistent basis (Translation: Can beat Collingwood).

The rookie draft is only a few days away and haven't heard a peep out of anyone about what we might be looking for. I suppose a key defender will be one pick. I thought we might nominate a rookie from the academy; perhaps we will hear more on Monday when the list lodgement is made.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 30th November 2014 at 12:13 AM.

Re Rose, you don't necessarily need to be tall to be a good making forward. Take Jamie Elliot from Collingwood for example. If you've got a good leap you can overcome your lack of height.

the only surprise for me was that we didnt look seriously reece mckenzie at 196cm and 2.87 seconds on the 20m sprint and he went in the pick 70s...........Draft prospect: Reece McKenzie - AFL.com.au

i certainly thought with that speed build he could have been a KP defensive project

Draft prospect: Reece McKenzie - AFL.com.au

from memory his father Warren McKenzie played a couple seasons for us also???
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

His nickname should clearly be Axl.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast