Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 AFL Draft

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar

2014 AFL Draft

This could have probably snuck under the 'trades' thread but I think it warrants its own! Let's have a discussion purely about who we might pick up with our 1 or 2 live picks in this years draft and who we might rookie list.

I'll start by saying I'd love us to draft Nakia Cockatoo from the NT...he might not still be around with our first pick but if he is then we should pounce.

Has many similarities to that bloke who gets around in #37 for us and with the amount of inside midfield talent we currently have and will be bringing in next year (Mills + Dunkley) then we can afford to take a risk on an x-factor type player. And this kid has x-factor by the truck load!

Also really like Oscar McDonald from North Ballarat...again he may not be around by the time we get a chance to use a pick but has all the attributes to be a gun CHB and from all reports you won't come across a better clubman. Kinnear and co also seem to have a liking for players from North Ballarat (Towers, Lloys etc).

Anyway let's start throwing around some names...easily one of the most exciting times of the year.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Given his excellent performance in the curtain raiser and the draft combine there absolutely no way Cockatoo won't be picked up in the first round, let alone when we still have our first live pick.

Sorry if wrong topic but the others are too huge to ask..... Have we heard what the reward is for letting go of Membrey yet? Surely if we achieve a higher pick than our first live one (39 from memory), we might have a chance of getting someone decent as you are suggesting CD.

Senior Player
    Picks 37 and 54. Hmmm.

I make out that there are about 15 potential KPDs in the draft that are mentioned in the Phantom Drafts. That includes a couple of minor sliders (nothing touted before about pick 25 though).

Fingers crossed has some really good oil on a KPD this year (ala AJ).
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Molly dooker View Post
    Have we heard what the reward is for letting go of Membrey yet?
    The reward is that we don't have someone at the club who doesn't want to be there.

That's it. No trade done, so he walks and St Kilda pick him up for free in the preseason draft.

He's taking a gamble. That gamble is:

St Kilda are closer to a flag than he is to breaking into the Swans' senior team.

How do you think that will turn out?

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Veterans List
    Best KPD still available at pick 37 and hope like hell that we can score another AJ!

Doubt we'd use pick 58 unless someone we like has a major slide down the order.

Only Perris and Naismith left on the rookie list so we'll pick at least 2 and possibly up to 4. Liz & other ressie watchers, any Academy players likely to be rookied?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Best KPD still available at pick 37 and hope like hell that we can score another AJ!

Doubt we'd use pick 58 unless someone we like has a major slide down the order.

Only Perris and Naismith left on the rookie list so we'll pick at least 2 and possibly up to 4. Liz & other ressie watchers, any Academy players likely to be rookied?
    Credit goes to ugg, he posted these names in the other thread:

"Michael Dickson, Jordan Foote, Zach Fyffe, Vahid Roser, Bradley Watson"

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Credit goes to ugg, he posted these names in the other thread:

"Michael Dickson, Jordan Foote, Zach Fyffe, Vahid Roser, Bradley Watson"
    GWS will be taking 6 players in the ND. I'm not sure if they will have any room to add rookies. I think they may have a few decent GWS academy players.

I was wondering if these players make it through the ND and GWS fail to prelist them as rookies, do the same rules apply that allowed us to prelist Harry Cunningham? The rule at that time was that the 2 NSW clubs got a 'second crack' to prelist rookie players in the other's zone.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    GWS will be taking 6 players in the ND. I'm not sure if they will have any room to add rookies. I think they may have a few decent GWS academy players.

I was wondering if these players make it through the ND and GWS fail to prelist them as rookies, do the same rules apply that allowed us to prelist Harry Cunningham? The rule at that time was that the 2 NSW clubs got a 'second crack' to prelist rookie players in the other's zone.
    We can certainly nominate our own academy players as rookies if they get through the draft, though I suspect we are limited to those we have already nominated as potentials (as per the list Ugg provided). Whether we still have priority over any others in NSW from the Giants zone I don't know.

One who may well not find his way onto the Giants list but has some pleasing characteristics (channelling my inner Harry) is Liam Griffiths. Quick and skilful wingman. Still quite light but I thought he was impressive in the U18 champs games I saw, especially against NT out at Blacktown.
    Last edited by liz; 17th October 2014 at 01:30 AM.

Regular in the Side
    Would someone like ugg or liz give us an idea as to the academy players listed above as to their height ,playing position.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    Would someone like ugg or liz give us an idea as to the academy players listed above as to their height ,playing position.
    Actually in addition to the above, since our trade and draft period has been/will be so slow, would those regular ressies watchers and other draft experts give us some analysis on our 3 NSW academy draftees. There is plenty of info on Heeney but not so much on Davis and Hiscox, would love to get some details on these boys.

I've been looking at few mock drafts and most of them have us getting Oscar McDonald at 37. I for one would be rapt with that outcome as he seems to be rated pretty highly by most draft experts. He is just what we need, a good tall KPD who apparently reads the play well and a good intercept mark and decent user of the ball.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast