Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Draft

Of course we lost a high quality player in Malceski, but we are far from desperate at HB. You never really quite replace someone like Mal, but McVeigh is not a bad one. Rampe has turned into a pretty good kick, although not in Mal territory quite yet, but could fill the role with his pace and daring. Rohan was a pretty good kick at one time, but has had some bad kicking moments last season. I think he should improve a lot next season.

Newman is good pick up and will certainly be a candidate for filling Mal's shoes. Rose may also fit the role as well, but is unlikely to play senior footy for a while. Even without Malceski, our core of medium defenders are pretty good.

The big thing for me is that we picked up 3 KPPs between the 2 drafts, because that was the only vulnerable area in the next few years that I envisage. Our midfield stocks are burgeoning and will only get stronger next year. I think Macca would have to move to HB anyway, just to make some space for another midfielder.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Newman's long left kicks. Someone get me a bib. What we needed! Also seems to weight the ball well to advantage.

- - - Updated - - -

Gary won the kicking comp at the draft combine, and i think has shown well enough since. A bit nervy and some major blunders at key times in the last month or so this year. But i'm not about to write off his kicking yet.
    Cut him some slack. He was coming off a badly busted leg!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    So we have a Foote in the door?
    Let's pray there's no foote injuries!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Well picked Ludwig! McLaren looks as though he might fill the bill for that KPB with a bit of grunt who will not be easily intimidated by the big forwards. I wonder how he will enjoy standing beside Buddy and KT in practice for the first time! Ah well, its the scariest it will ever get for him if he becomes a keeper.

so Blayne Wilson didnt make it ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Now that's impressive!

[QUOTE=The Big Cat;662330]Cut him some slack. He was coming off a badly busted leg!

We seem to forget that Gary, although being on the list for a few years, is still young in terms of experience. How many games has he played?

Plenty to like the look of in that video
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Of course we lost a high quality player in Malceski, but we are far from desperate at HB. You never really quite replace someone like Mal, but McVeigh is not a bad one. Rampe has turned into a pretty good kick, although not in Mal territory quite yet, but could fill the role with his pace and daring. Rohan was a pretty good kick at one time, but has had some bad kicking moments last season. I think he should improve a lot next season.

Newman is good pick up and will certainly be a candidate for filling Mal's shoes. Rose may also fit the role as well, but is unlikely to play senior footy for a while. Even without Malceski, our core of medium defenders are pretty good.

The big thing for me is that we picked up 3 KPPs between the 2 drafts, because that was the only vulnerable area in the next few years that I envisage. Our midfield stocks are burgeoning and will only get stronger next year. I think Macca would have to move to HB anyway, just to make some space for another midfielder.
    Rose couldn't fill Mal's shoes. even though I don't believe Mals was as good at disposal as everyone thinks he was still pretty good. All indications from the footage around Rose is that his kicking is ordinary at best.

Newman on the other hand is very poised and has been playing in the VFL which is highly competitive and very strong. I have been given the oil by a guy on Swans FB who works for another VFL side that he is a really good player. his stats are really good on disposal 79%. He kicks out or provides options for the kicker. So he plays the Mal role.

Impressed we got two KD. Like the footage of McLaren. For a 197cm bloke he sure is mobile. Very good mark and kick.

I wonder what Melican is like? There is no footage of him at all. The interesting thing is the one article about him is from his local paper in his home-town. I wonder if he gets called 'Pellican' Melican? Good size at 193cm. Harley seems to think he is ok and he was a Geelong player and would have contacts in the area.

jordan Foote is interesting too. very tough inside mid.

Senior Player
    so Blayne Wilson didnt make it ?
    Strange that you fly someone over and not pick them

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    Strange that you fly someone over and not pick them
    I have a sneaky suspicion that we would have taken Wilson had Newman not been available for our second pick. We probably took the one we thought was the better prospect of the two.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast