Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Rookie Draft

Yes AG Melican seems very quick for a 193cm defender. I liked his competitive work and he is very good on the ground by the looks of that. His disposal seemed pretty good even though his kicking style looks a little awkward. Hands will need to get a bit softer and stickier but other than that he looks good and is quite built already so a good solid base to build on.

I think the Rookie Draft might just be a winner again. Newman has heaps of positives with his disposal, hardness, ability to get free and tight checking.

McLaren is a really versatile and mobile big man. He is very handy as he can play on the resting rucks with very little height disadvantage.

Jordan Foote has lots of up side too. He is hard in and under and a strong mark. We are developing some very strong hard players at the moment with Jones, Heeney, Foote, to join Parker, Mitchell, Kennedy, Jack, McGlinn, Smith & Lloyd.

We have also stocked up on running players with Hiscox, Rose, Robinson, Perris, Towers joining Hannaberry, Jetta, Cunningham, B. Jack, Rohan. These guys would be the fastest with K. Jack in two mixes.

Lots of up side in all of that. Add a player like Hewett who doesn't fit into either category but has a category with Macca. The elite disposal both sides category. I can see George getting games next season. Mainly because disposal under pressure let us down on many occasions last year. Even though we won most games we did it the hard way, rebound footy after poor disposal turned over. That takes it's toll and I think the coaches will be looking to improve the disposal skills and if the disposal does not improve then the guilty will be crucified. They won't really be crucified just dropped. We need to develop a simpler game that relies more on elite or controlled disposal and marking. A fast play on style that does not rely almost 75% on rebound footy but clearances and stoppage wins. It would help our defence no end if we improved at least 30% in those areas and falied to cough the ball up in the forward line with 'pie floaters' or crap passes. A lack of Benny first quarter clangers would also help. wonderful player, Benny, but gee he takes a while to get his rhythm.

In the Age....would you believe. Melican's mum a Hawks supporter!
    A giving family gets something unexpected back
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Schoolies surprise for district's new AFL rookie - colacherald.com.aucolacherald.com.au

The talented defender, who had a breakout season with the Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup in 2014, said he had little expectation heading into this year�s draft period until the night before the draft.

He had failed to receive enough interest from AFL clubs to receive an invitation to train in front of selectors at the national or state combines.

But the Swans requested a special individual screening session with Melican in October.

�I did the testing a little while ago � we did the beep test, 20-metre sprint, vertical jump and an interview � but I didn�t think I went that strongly so I wasn�t expecting too much,� Melican said.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

I don't think I can turn my mind to a single player on our list who started out like a champion right from the getgo, even as a senior. they all grow into themselves. Its just that we have been able to attract a number of men who are already broken in to the game, like buddy, tippo, Craig Bolton, Shaw, Mattner, Richards, Joey, Benny, who all arrived with some experience in seniors already. We are not really used to having to wait. But Mal, Smooch, Macca, Bolton J, Adam, Keiran, etc all took a while to get themselves 'right'.

MickyO is about the only one I could say had the It Factor from close to the start.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

one word

PARKER
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I don't think I can turn my mind to a single player on our list who started out like a champion right from the getgo, even as a senior. they all grow into themselves. Its just that we have been able to attract a number of men who are already broken in to the game, like buddy, tippo, Craig Bolton, Shaw, Mattner, Richards, Joey, Benny, who all arrived with some experience in seniors already. We are not really used to having to wait. But Mal, Smooch, Macca, Bolton J, Adam, Keiran, etc all took a while to get themselves 'right'.

MickyO is about the only one I could say had the It Factor from close to the start.
    Dannebery ?
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Parker and Hannebery were both precocious early developers, good from the start, but not champions at that stage, at least not in my book. They have become so since.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post

This is largely because we haven't had the high draft picks that other clubs have had and our seniors is full of quality. Players who usually have great breakout seasons are usually high draft picks in the lower clubs. We also tend to hold players back until they learn our game plans etc.

AJ was excellent in his second season. Hanners and Parker were very good early. From what I remember, their second seasons. Tommy would have been great had he not been injured. I think that Zak is going to have a great season this year and Isaac has great potential for a breakout first season.

Luke Parker is a potential Brownlow medalist & captain. He is such well balanced individual. His footy ability is only starting to be tapped. GHannas is a very good player and an injury free year would make him a gun player once again. Heeney, Mitchell & Zac could all have the X factor. But I think the smokies could be Newman & Hiscox. I think we draft well from the Rookie draft and lower draft picks. Be excited. The new key possie players look exciting and McLaren is a huge defender.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567