Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie Draft

Rookie Draft

So the rookie draft is next week, who's got some players they'd like us to draft, a young kid or even a delisted player? and does anyone know how many likely picks we'll use? For me I'd still like us to draft a key position defender seeing as we didn't get one last Thursday with pick 37. Would like a talent like Tyler Keitel or Keenan Ramsey, probably in that order. There's a few others as well that were unlucky to not get picked up! What are everyone's thoughts?

i suspect a Key Possie defender around that 24 or so years of age maybe a smart decision

I am very comfortable with our next wave of Reid, X, Aliir, AJ, Davis that could play KP defence BUT i do feel all except Reid maybe a year or so a away from being able to to negate most key forwards in the comp
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    i suspect a Key Possie defender around that 24 or so years of age maybe a smart decision

I am very comfortable with our next wave of Reid, X, Aliir, AJ, Davis that could play KP defence BUT i do feel all except Reid maybe a year or so a away from being able to to negate most key forwards in the comp
    Hartley, ex Pie rookie and Sydney boy was very good in the VFL this year after getting over his shoulder problems

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    So the rookie draft is next week, who's got some players they'd like us to draft, a young kid or even a delisted player? and does anyone know how many likely picks we'll use? For me I'd still like us to draft a key position defender seeing as we didn't get one last Thursday with pick 37. Would like a talent like Tyler Keitel or Keenan Ramsey, probably in that order. There's a few others as well that were unlucky to not get picked up! What are everyone's thoughts?
    Kinnear Beatson suggested they would have at least four picks in the rookie draft.

Swans confident in draft depth - sydneyswans.com.au

Goes up to 11
    At least one of Wilson or Hartley would be worth a rookie spot IMHO....

Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    188cm. Mmm. Seems we are going for a HB in this case. He is too short to be a KD.

I would love to see a list of who is available in the Rookie Draft. I have tried to find the players at AFL.com but couldn't find a list. I know they will be up tomorrow for Wednesday's draft but would love to see them now. I could go through every player not picked up but that would take until next year. There are at least 40 in A alone.

Laidler for 190cm certainly plays very tall with those octopus arms and a recruit close top 190cm could also play very tall and there are some great 191cm strong defenders that came in to SNRs from VFL etc later in their careers

we might want to be freeing up Rampe to play open and maybe rotate thru the midfield ??

Rampe has all the potential.........fitness, long kick, body size etc is strong midfielder...........but we will need to watch his development with his vision and in close skills

I found the list of defenders and I have checked through the alphabetical list to see who is taken. Am also checking utilitiy players & KF that can be tuerned into defenders.

Keenan Ramsay, Port Adelaide, 192cm, 86kg, K-6, M-2.8, HB-3.6. T-3, Eff-72%

Christian Buykx-Smith, Gipsland Power, 193, 82, No stats, stress fractures kept out. Av 7 touches in 9 games and kicked 3 goals

NickJackson, Aspley, 195cm, 86kg, no stats, member of the Lions Academy, Injury restricted, 1 AFL NAB Under 18 game D-11, M-4, Eff-82%

Hugh Beasley, Oakleigh Chargers, 190cm, 86kg, no stats, has a 16 disposal average in TAC, at 80%, 2.86 over 20 metres, has beaten Boyd, McCartin & Wright. Big closing speed and very big leap.

Adam creeper, Subiaco, 194cm, 87kg, 4 games, K-3.2, M-1.7, HB-4.2,

Ryan Tester, Northern Knights, 198cm, 83kg, Ga-3, Go-1, K-2.3, M-2, HB-2.6, former mid turned defender who grew heaps this year. Kept Wright goalless.

Michael Hartley, Coburg, 198cm, 102kg, Mature ager 21, plays in VFL, G-15, D-11, M-4, T-4, formerly on Collingwood list.
    You might like to have a look at his footage. It is quite good. Very solid and he kicks out which is a bonus for a FB these days. Goof long kick very reliable and very good short as well. Is very good in the marking contest and seems to lead his opponent to the ball. For a guy 198cm he reads the ball very well and isn't slow.

Bailey Jordan, Northern Knights, 193cm, 88kg, TAC Cup G-11, D-10, M-4, Go-5.

Alex Howard, Swan Districts, 190cm, 86kg, G-3, Go-2, K-4, M-4, HB-3.3, third tall

Sean McLaren, Sandringham Dragons, 197cm, 92kg, G-4, K-5.2, M-3, HB-2, played ruck for Dragons, KD for Vic Metro.

Those are the KD that might be available in the Rookie Draft. I am not sure if all have nominated for Rookie Draft.

Michael Hartley is interesting as he is already mixing it with the big boys and is a mature ager. There was footage of all the draft prospects but it has been taken down. Maybe all off these guys haven't nominated?

It would appear that The Swans are confident about our up and coming key backs but I still think we need a ready made key defender. If either Richards or Grundy get an injury or their ages catch up with them in the next couple of years we will be in deep trouble. Neither X.Richards nor Aliir are ready to step up yet and are likely to be at least a couple of years away. I'd like to see us go after a player from the state league who has played on big men before and can fill this gap for a couple of years or more. I'd start looking at players such as Daniel Noon and Sam Pleming in the VFL.

Rookie and pre-season draft order announced: Who could your club target? - AFL.com.au

Sydney Swans
    Pre-season draft selections: 5, 8
    Rookie draft selections: 17, 35, 52, 64, 69.
    What they need: The NAB AFL Rookie Draft takes on increased importance for the Swans given their AFL-imposed trade ban. It is an opportunity for the club to add the hardened bodies it was unable to trade for, albeit from the second chance saloon. Delisted West Coast defender Blayne Wilson, who is training with the club, could be snared after nine games in four seasons. Boasting great depth with their running players, the Swans may target a number of rookie talls to give them injury insurance, particularly in the backline. The rookie draft has been good to the club in recent seasons, with Xavier Richards, Jake Lloyd and Daniel Robinson all elevated in 2014, while Shane Biggs was traded. � Nathan Schmook

Eagle Vision: Blayne Wilson - westcoasteagles.com.au

West Coast's Young Defenders NAB Cup Highlights - YouTube

Blayne Wilson - West Coast Draftee - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlf88606H58

Blayne is training with the Swans so highly likely we will take him

It does free up Rampe to potentially play in the mids.....or Rohan and or Jones to to play alternate roles and maybe Marsh will continue his development for a mid role in ressies

OR maybe Blayne is just simply cover and simply play ressies
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 1st December 2014 at 09:55 PM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast