Page 15 of 95 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 academy discussion thread (with some FS thrown in for good measure)

Can Eddie be trade to Asia ,Africa , or Israel, if it came to the crunch im willing to draft him to Alaska Sand Suckers !

Veterans List
    No wonder whatshisname got the lemonade from Channel 9 headquarters. The man is just not a logical thinker. The article suggests he knows best and the rest of the world is dumb. By the way who told him from the commission that the Swans had discussions with them.

Goes up to 11
    Write Eddie off at your peril kids - damage will be done no matter how silly his rants....

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Write Eddie off at your peril kids - damage will be done no matter how silly his rants....
    You are 100% correct. I am amazed at how many people in my office listen to Eddie each morning. Slowly but surely they start to take on board what he says - after all, if it is said enough, it must be true, right?

I actually suspect there is another agenda here. For generations Collingwood has been seen as the club to hate (my father told me the next best thing to seeing your team win is to see Collingwood lose), and that has been both an advantage and disadvantage to them. Eddie once said that he wants to turn Collingwood into the Manchester United of AFL - ie. international support, merchandising, etc - however, if you are the club that everyone loves to hate, then it becomes problematic.

The solution to this is to start to demonise another club, and what better way is there than to treat an interstate club as one that is a raider from the north? This club is a "powerhouse" that is manipulating the AFL rules (and even transgressing them) in order to "buy" premierships. They are allowed to pay their players more, will take your club's best players, have a hidden reservoir of junior talent that only they have access to, control several child slavery rings and probably support ISIL. As a Victorian, and regardless of the club that you support, we all need to band together to repel the invader so that the competition becomes "fair" once more and we can return to the status quo that has served us so well in the past.

What we are watching is a process of emotional transfer from Collingwood to the Swans, and it is being done brilliantly. As I said, you say it often enough and it becomes true. I suspect that, for the next generation, it is possible that the club that everyone loves to hate will go from Collingwood to Sydney and Eddie will have achieved his goal. As much as we like to say so, he is not an idiot or a fool, and I believe that he has a long term goal that is slowly being realised.

Beware the fat controller because while he is both of those things, he is also a very smart man.

Pushing for Selection
    If the Swans keep picking players from the Academy and accumulating points they get shut out of the draft, but what is stopping them from just keep picking from the Academy and accumulating more and more points each year. It would be a bit like what Roos offered to do a few years ago.
    Where's the remote?

Just wild about Harry
    Because if you dont have the points you cant even pick from the academy.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Because if you dont have the points you cant even pick from the academy.
    Yeah I guess they thought of that one.
    Where's the remote?

Some agitation from the Crows about what the proposed draft bidding system might mean for father/son picks.

Michelangelo Rucci: AFL’s father-son review creates more problems than it solves

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The Crows and Port have every right to be cranky about the AFL's latest brainchild - or should that be brainfart? Here's what a SA supporter wrote on Footy Almanac:

Father-Son has always been a Victorian club scam. Just need to wait for the second decent Crows prospect so they can change the rules again. It�s teeth grindingly annoying to watch South Australian sons of South Australians go to Vic clubs under father son.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Very very good point dimelb.

And here I am thinking that perhaps Eddie was developing early onset dementia. Maybe he just has a lot of nasty agendas.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

The main reason for including the FS in with the academy bidding is that it clearly is targeting the Swans circumstances this year. They probably will reverse it the next time Collingwood has a top notch FS selection. If the FS rule stands as is and the proposed academy bidding system is introduced, then the Swans could use their first 4 draft picks to get Mills, but Dunkley would still come to them with their next available pick, which might be something like 86, an outcome the Swnas would be most happy with. So the only way to get the Swans to cough up next year's picks as well is to put the 2 systems together.

Even if the FS bidding is separated by the academy system, I wouldn't be surprised to have special 'Swans' rule that makes us pay extra to get both Mills and Dunkley.

Most Victorian club administrators can remain sounding reasonable about this, since they have Mad Dog McGuire barking like a rabid hound and making enough noise for them all.

Mad Dog Eddie.jpg

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The main reason for including the FS in with the academy bidding is that it clearly is targeting the Swans circumstances this year. They probably will reverse it the next time Collingwood has a top notch FS selection.
    I would argue we already saw this happen. Note that originally it was proposed that LAST year they would change the system, when Isaac was already being touted as a potential top 3 pick. But because Darcy Moore was in the process with Collingwood, surprise, surprise, we don't get the change till THIS year.

I would love to know what some of the other big clubs are thinking though... surely Richmond, Geelong, Carlton, Hawthorn and Essendon have as much or more to lose out of any FS tinkering. And they do have the ability to shut Eddie up if they want to.

To your point Ludwig, it may well be a one-year-wonder system, that magically disappears the moment any other club other than ours looks to be impacted...