Thread: Swans visit to the dolphin park in Coffs - social media getting restless

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar

Swans visit to the dolphin park in Coffs - social media getting restless

The Club is visiting Dolphin Magic in Coffs tomorrow and there are large numbers of people mobilising against it on social media. Check out the posts on the Swans Facebook page (you need to expand the posts by clicking on the 'Posts to Page' bar on the left): https://www.facebook.com/sydneyswans?fref=ts.

I used to live in Coffs many years ago and that place has always been a poor excuse of a home for any animal, let alone dolphins. Here is a media article on the place from November. The war over Dolphin Marine Magic park

I think it's too late to pull out but one would hope that the Club thinks twice about this again.

Dan
    Last edited by Danzar; 4th February 2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Suspended by the MRP
    Oh no raise the pitch forks!

Is there anything more pathetic than the way people are using social media to rage against every little thing.

#iamoffended #thishastostopnow #iamreallyreallyoffended

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by JPK12 View Post
    Oh no raise the pitch forks!

Is there anything more pathetic than the way people are using social media to rage against every little thing.

#iamoffended #thishastostopnow #iamreallyreallyoffended
    Are you taking offence at people taking offence?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Are you taking offence at people taking offence?
    I am offended at you being offended at me being offended at other people being offended.

This is an outraged brb hashtag time.

Animals being used for entertainment always makes me feel uncomfortable. More often than not, conditions are not great. The animals are just an asset to generate revenue and not living breathing intelligent sentient beings that require stimulation and social interaction.

I'm happier with paying my money to Cirque du Soleil where the entertainers have the ability to refuse or resign should they be unhappy with their situation

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    Animals being used for entertainment always makes me feel uncomfortable. More often than not, conditions are not great. The animals are just an asset to generate revenue and not living breathing intelligent sentient beings that require stimulation and social interaction.
    You describe my workplace amazingly perceptively.

Pushing for Selection poundpuppy's Avatar
    Many years ago I was secretary for Project Jonah (Save the Whale) and know Hec Goodall cared about his dolphins more than he did money (unlike most of these places) so if he says there is a problem with that place now then I believe him.
    Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
    And if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went!

www.paws.com.au

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I know what you mean - I remember a few years back there was a campaign to stop horse drawn carriages in NYC on the grounds of safety/animal welfare which I thought did have merit. I think when animals are used for entertainment there are a number of ethical/safety/welfare issues that need to be considered. That's not to say it can't happen - to give a example of how it can work, cat cafes have taken off in several countries around the world, and an acquaintance of mine is even planning to open one in Sydney - so I think it's certainly possible for us to get closer to animals in a way that is ethical and safe.
    Last edited by Xie Shan; 8th February 2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: updated

Animals being used for entertainment always makes me feel uncomfortable.
    I know what you mean. And this particularly makes me feel uncomfortable:

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I know what you mean. And this particularly makes me feel uncomfortable:

Hehehehe hehehehe that is amazing