Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 9 - Pre Match List - vs Fremantle at Optus Stadium 8:30 PM, Friday 10 May 2024

Senior Player

Rnd 9 - Pre Match List - vs Fremantle at Optus Stadium 8:30 PM, Friday 10 May 2024

We play Fremantle again in Round 9 like we did last year.

A mate is taking me again, so I will have a seat amongst the Fremantle membership . As I side note, I must say, Freo supporters are very polite to people wearing Swans colours on the train and at the stadium.

Anyway, we really want to win this one to stay on top of the ladder, and increase our gap over a fellow top 8 contender (and unless there are draws, three other top 8 teams who will be defeated by another top 8 team).

There has been lots of discussion in the round 8 match thread and the VFL re who might play.

Some key thoughts put out by members

- wet weather predicted (showers and low temp)
    - Francis was rested in fourth quarter of VFL so may be included in the squad
    - Fremantle forwards are not that tall (I disagree, when Jackson is resting up front too, along with Treacey and Amiss)
    - Some querying whether Amartey should also come out due to the wet weather, others saying don't change a winning team

So outs: McCartin (inj), possibly Amartey
    Ins: Parker, possibly Francis

Really looking forward to it

Veterans List
    Danger game! LOL

Up a level of difficulty playing in Perth but we do like the ground and have a good record there. Freo coming off a Sunday game balances our travel a bit.

I also coming over from Sydney, which nearly completes my full hand of venues. 9 ticked, but missing Launceston, Ballarat, Cairns and Darwin.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I also coming over from Sydney, which nearly completes my full hand of venues. 9 ticked, but missing Launceston, Ballarat, Cairns and Darwin.
    Have you done Mt Barker?

Veterans List
    In today's presser, Horse hints that they might look at Ladhams to combat Freo's two rucks.

I watched a bit of their game with Tigers. The bad news is that it was such a bruise free encounter that the extra day's rest for us will be of little consequence. The good news is that game will hopefully be very poor preparation for the sort of heat that I imagine the Swans will look to bring - Richmond laid just 40 tackles and there were just 100 tackles for the game compared to the 145 laid in our game.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    It'll be a cracker of a midfield battle. Their young guns vs ours looks like a ripper. Just to complicate things - I know everyone on here bangs on about Serong > Stephens. Personally, I wanted us to take Young that year. But anyway, let's not go there. The list management thread is polluted as it is . . .

Freo also have a good fleet of hard running small and medium forwards. Then again, I was worried about GWS's crew last week, and our blokes smothered them. So boo hoo.

My main beef with this game is the hour. Like, I'm usually nicely pissed by 8.30 on a Friday night, lord knows how I'm gonna make it till after 11pm for the finish.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    It'll be a cracker of a midfield battle. Their young guns vs ours looks like a ripper. Just to complicate things - I know everyone on here bangs on about Serong > Stephens. Personally, I wanted us to take Young that year. But anyway, let's not go there. The list management thread is polluted as it is . . .

Freo also have a good fleet of hard running small and medium forwards. Then again, I was worried about GWS's crew last week, and our blokes smothered them. So boo hoo.

My main beef with this game is the hour. Like, I'm usually nicely pissed by 8.30 on a Friday night, lord knows how I'm gonna make it till after 11pm for the finish.
    Young looked like as close as you get to a guaranteed draft pick - injuries aside, he was always likely to make it. But I kinda got this pick a bit more with Campbell waiting in the wings - there is no reason Braeden can't turn into our own example of the dashing left foot inside mid in due course (though Young's right foot is as good as I've seen from a left footer I reckon).

Your call out re Friday is well made - we'll need the discipline and resilience of a Blood to make it through to the final siren.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    In today's presser, Horse hints that they might look at Ladhams to combat Freo's two rucks.

I watched a bit of their game with Tigers. The bad news is that it was such a bruise free encounter that the extra day's rest for us will be of little consequence. The good news is that game will hopefully be very poor preparation for the sort of heat that I imagine the Swans will look to bring - Richmond laid just 40 tackles and there were just 100 tackles for the game compared to the 145 laid in our game.
    Here is hoping, Grundy playing very well but looks destroyed by the end of the game, needs a bigger chop out

Pushing for Selection
    Interesting they’re looking at two rucks.

I would rest McLean and keep Amartey in if they play Ladhams. Although McLean probably covers more ground, I think Amartey is the more pure forward with greater leg speed and agility to take advantage of Perth Stadium.

Changes

Outs

McCartin
    McLean
    Fox

Ins

Ladhams
    Francis
    Parker

Parker to be sub, injected at the end of the 3rd quarter for one of the ruckman and giving some quarter 4 midfield fire power.

Mclean isnt coming out before Amartey

Fox has to play defence with McCartin out, hope he gets Frederick

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Here is hoping, Grundy playing very well but looks destroyed by the end of the game, needs a bigger chop out
    Horse made the point in his presser after the GWS game that the three tall strategy is essential to giving Grundy a chop out. He said given games in the wet are an even bigger slog, it made it more of an imperative.

Anyway, In effect, it means we play most of each quarter with two talls in the forward line. By the time they all take their rotation off the ground and McLean spends time in the ruck, that’s the end result.

My guess if Ladhams comes in though is it is Amartey that goes out. He can have his moments and kick a few goals but I reckon Hayden offers more over the four quarters. He’s no superstar, but he seems to find more ways to stay involved in games. Plus, he’s the best contested mark of our three forwards right now - particularly those ones down the wing essential to avoiding turnovers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post

Your call out re Friday is well made - we'll need the discipline and resilience of a Blood to make it through to the final siren.
    That, or I’ll just be posting gibberish on here.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I believe Hayden will be better if he isnt rucking.

Only of the 3 talls that clunks a contested mark consistently

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast