Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast

Thread: RWO site changes, bugs, disruptions thread

Veteran Site Admin
    Did they provide an explanation? Or simply restoration?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Did they provide an explanation? Or simply restoration?
    No and Yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apologies as i have broken the "List Management" thread after pasting a WA media link re Tom Barrass. So sorry!

Veteran Site Admin
    Is anyone else finding the desktop version of the site to be painfully slow at the moment? For about a week or so now, it's been taking longer to load a page than it did back in the old days of dial up modems. On my phone it's fine. Normal speed. I don't know if this is a site issue or something to do with my laptop. I am experiencing no slow issues on any other web page, suggesting it's more likely to be a site issue.

If others are/aren't experiencing slow loading times, what browser(s) are you using? Does that make any difference?

Senior Player
    I've had the same problem. Not every time but quite a few times. I lose patience waiting and then go on my phone.

I couldn’t load anything on phone or laptop for about 3 hours this afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Is anyone else finding the desktop version of the site to be painfully slow at the moment? For about a week or so now, it's been taking longer to load a page than it did back in the old days of dial up modems. On my phone it's fine. Normal speed. I don't know if this is a site issue or something to do with my laptop. I am experiencing no slow issues on any other web page, suggesting it's more likely to be a site issue.

If others are/aren't experiencing slow loading times, what browser(s) are you using? Does that make any difference?
    Same same Liz, in fact, it's been regularly timing out on me.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Same same Liz, in fact, it's been regularly timing out on me.
    The timing out and the slowness are distinct, though the cause might be connected.

The site regularly goes through periods when it crashes and the only way to restore is to reboot the server. In the past it's done this at a particular time of day (which changes depending on daylight saving time because it works off WA time and they don't use daylight saving). It can do this everyday for a week or two and then behave itself perfectly for months on end.

More recently, the database has been crashing multiple times a day. For example, I've already had to reboot it twice this morning (within an hour). Danzar has provided me with access to log-in and reboot, but beyond that I don't have the technical knowledge to know why it happens or how to fix it. All I can do is look at a graph that shows me each crash is preceded by activity suddenly spiking to over 200% of capacity.

The slowness I noted loading the desktop site isn't the same as it not loading at all. It's just that it takes 10 seconds or so to load a new page. I can see that, over the last couple of weeks, the activity looks high (c50% of capacity) all the time. Unfortunately, the graph I have access to only shows me the prior 24 hours. So I can't look to see whether the non-crash-phase usage is much higher than it was, say, a month ago. And if high usage (while not crashing) is the cause of the desktop site being so slow to load, I don't know why the mobile version seems unaffected.

When the site crashes, it basically won't come back online until I've noticed it has crashed. It's much harder for me to keep an eye on at the moment because it's doing it so often and so irregularly. If I'm busy, or out and about, it could take hours until I see it has crashed and reboot, which is why the site can be down for hours at a time.

Veteran Site Admin
    Just as a word of warning, the site is continuing to misbehave. I have had to reboot it three times this morning and I have no idea how long it will last. Once the game starts in a couple of hours I won’t be checking any more. So if you find it down, probably no point in keeping returning to see if it’s back. I’ve also suffered a domestic crisis this morning that impacts my ability to keep checking the site.

Veterans List
    FYI it is also slow to load pages using Tapatalk.

Veteran Site Admin
    I'm now up to seven times rebooting the server today...

Senior Player
    I frequently find the site is down.

Only remedy is to change to a different host that might cost more per month/year but that is up to Danzar who doesn’t charge us anything to be here as it is, and doesn’t spam us with ads (I am very appreciative!)