Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Swans Intra Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    Took my trusty camera and took these shots. Check em out

Swans Intra Club Match 2015 - an album on Flickr
    Really great photos: better than anything on the official site for years. Thanks.
    Jetta was doing all the kick outs for his team. I thought that he looked really good, and found his way a long way up the ground. His kicking was precise and created lots of room.
    Shaw looked sharp and clean.
    Mitchell showed how valuable he is going to be, and Jones is a monster. Tippett looked awesome.

The final quarter finished early�I suspect that quite a few of them were well and truly cooked by then.
    What a great evening. Great turn out, lovely atmosphere. Good of Buddy to show up for a couple of minutes too.

Melican was pretty good hey

This is my review of the younger players;

The Intra was good. Some really good points. Lukie is a gun. Jake Lloyd must have brought his own ball he had so much leather poisoning until leaving the field with the forearm injury. Hope it isn't broken.

The ones we need to keep;

Lewis Melican was really good. How does a 194cm player constantly find space? It was as though he borrowed Harry Potter's 'Cloak of invisibility'. He played both back and forward and was good no matter where they put him. Definitely not overawed.

James Rose had a really good first half then faded out of the game in the third. But he came back in the last to do some pretty good things. I thought he looked quite comfortable too.

Isaac Heeney was tried in so many different roles tonight that it is a wonder he didn't forget which way he was kicking. But then again most of them were shuffled about. Smithy even had a spell forward. But I would like to see him in the middle as he is a really good extractor just like joey. He played pretty well tonight though.

Sammy Naismith had a very good game. He took a huge mark. Literally burst the pack apart he hit it so hard. A very accurate kick Sammy.

Jack Hiscox showed us what he could do when he absolutely got the crowd going with a run and evade through the centre of the ground. He managed to step around two players before offloading a good pass that was unfortunately dropped. Sometimes his skills let him down.

Aliir Aliir was magnificent. Very good game and expect to see a lot more of him.

Sean McLaren was quiet in the first half. Got to the ball often enough but wasn't quite hard enough at the ball. He changed sides and was a lot better in the second half kicking a beautiful goal. Going to be a good player but like many talls he will take time to develop.

Abaina (Abe) Davis had his moments and by the third quarter was firing very nicely. He might just be ok for a pick 70 odd. There is a lot to like about his second efforts.

Zac Jones was solid without being outstanding. He hits the packs so hard I think he is made of steel.

Dean Towers had a pretty good game. He did some really good things and broke the lines. But he needs to work with Nicky Davis on his set shots.

BJ was ok his tackling was ferocious. He took them on a bit and he seems to have learned to slow down before impact and before kicking.

Dan Robinson was pretty good all night. He kicked a magnificent long goal on the set. He is a really good kick and he managed to get in the right position often. At one stage they had him playing FF.

Xav Richards was ok. Made a few mistakes but also was quite solid. did a couple of good runs but managed to stuff the delivery up on the first.

Georgie Porgie Hewett is a really good kid. We knew this but today he proved he is very capable. He went head to head with Joey at one stage and held his own for a quarter. He racked up plenty of possessions. His delivery is very good.

Tom Mitchell played sooooo well. He is a top player. Best 22 definitely.

Of the senior players all were really good. If Reg plays like today he will have his best season so far. all the senior players were great. Goodsie thinks he is a junior he was running around like a colt. Hannas was really hard and played more in the centre square. Joey was well Joey. He just racks them up. Rhyce was pretty good. They were all good.

Good pics Jeffers

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar

Excellent shots jeffers. Have tweeted these out on RWOau.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

I thought Jetts was really good in his new role and cut out quite well too. He, Shaw, Rampe, Lloyd and George Hewett, who seems to get a long way back, were good at getting the ball through the press. For the other team Heeney & Hiscox played the run out role in the second half Rooster in the first (he didn't return after half time).

I want to mention Swampy again. He did some good things, one particular pass was exquisite. But in general he seems rushed, not up to this level and even the toppies were beating him to the ball. That isn't good. I would suggest this will be his last season on our list. He is just taking space. I feel very sad because he started with such a good base in the NEAFL. But he seems unable to step up to the next level. When you have a Rookie like Melican who must have racked up around 20-30 disposals off the half back or half forward line Swampy's failings become more obvious.

By the way I love how Melican just throws his body into the fray with absolutely no thought of injury at all. He nearly took a cracker on the wing when he threw his body at the pack and split it. Loved the same from big Sammy. At one stage he hit one of the toppies head on and nearly sent him into space. I'm pretty sure his mind was already there after the knock. This is the sort of aggression we need to bring to the table. There was a young Toppy, Will Taylor I think, who showed lots of it and quite a bit of skill too. Got a really nice long pass on him. Goes in hard as hell. He was the one who got Lloydy in the bump that injured him.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Thanks guys. Your reports are very encouraging. You have commented Woolfie on individuals going in hard, did you get the impression that there was a greater hardness and intensity and edge potentially as a team going forward.

I would like to begin by saying that this was pretty typical of the Swans form early in the season. It lacked precision and timing; their marking and kicking skills were way down and the fact that it was an intra-club meant that everybody knew everybody and what they were likely to do.

Observations (re: general play): The kick outs were interesting. Without Malceski, they're obviously searching for someone to take on this role. Laidler seemed to have the duties for one team, kicking long bombs into the centre square. For the other team Jetta and Shaw seemed to share the duties with Jetta kicking both short and long. Neither team was really tagging until the 3rd quarter but the new recruits tended to be used to play defensive roles in the first half.

New Recruits: Working numerically:
    James Rose: very quiet overall but did some good things especially around goal, setting up Bird to goal with some slick handball skills.
    Isaac Heeney: very underwhelming in first half, in fact hardly sighted. Moved better in second half but have some doubts regarding his kicking efficiency under pressure. No doubt he will improve in this company.
    Abe Davis: struggled to get his hands on the ball and was clearly outpointed by Allir who played well throughout.
    Jack Hiscox: was matched up against Shaw, early on. Moved well throughout showed enough to be encouraged but again had his own concerns with his skills under pressure.
    Sean McLaren: looked ok at times. Got to where he needed to be to win the ball but is very lightweight and found himself being bullied by bigger bodies in close.
    Lewis Melican: far and away the most impressive. Won his own ball regularly, read play beautifully positionally and linked up well in transition. He looks to be ready made for 1st grade.

On the Fringe:
    Zac Jones: definitely has played better games. He did not see a lot of the ball but was capable when called upon.
    Toby Nankervis: did not look comfortable in the ruck. Takes a good mark on the lead but struggles against strong opposition.
    Tom Derricx: played well. Looked to be ahead of everyone else(in our ruck stocks) fitness wise and was effective against Pyke at most clearance situations. Hard to gauge boundary contests as the umpires did not seem to be able to throw the ball far enough to get into their area.
    Dean Towers: matched against McGlynn, Hanneberry and K. Jack when they were coming off the wing. Played a role and made forays forward. Could step up this year.
    Dan Robinson: played with endeavour and was getting lots of possessions in first half, faded after half time.
    George Hewitt: was anxious to see how he had developed but he struggled to win the ball from his position out wide. May do better when playing an on ball role but in this mid-field may need another year in magoos.
    Harry Marsh: did not figure in much action. Had a few oppourtunities but seemed to fumble too often and place himself be under immediate pressure.
    Brandon Jack: looked most ready to step up of all the fringe players from last year. Had an excellent 1st half and continued to make his mark on the game throughout. His kicking for goal seems to have improved as well.
    Allir Allir: really liked his game, Got better throughout the game and his marking, kicking and positional play have all improved markedly. Could be ready sooner rather than later.
    Xavier Richards: liked his game. Punched well when out of position and took his chances when he needed to. Agree with Wolfie that he is too light at this stage for the real power forwards but he has the speed and nouse to be very effective against most non-monster types.

Non-regular Regulars:
    Rhyce Shaw: Had his moments, especially early on. Still believe he will struggle to keep a regular place.
    Tom Mitchell: owned the football. Must have had in excess of 20 possessions by half time. Was everywhere. His handball is a treat and his ability to get free and visible is amazing. Was tagged closely after half time but continued to have an impact throughout.
    Jeremy Laidler: Played great. Together with Nick Smith held the Red defence together. Kicking out was a treat. Did not realise how good a kick he was, he kept pumping the kicks into the centre square all night.

Of the remaining regular regulars: Adam Goodes, Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy and Craig Bird were standouts. Grundy was excellent across the backline as was Nick Smith. Pyke needs more game time. Reid had a defensive role all night and looked comfortable; but looked better when moved forward taking his grabs and working more into the game. Jetta had a role in defence as did Rohan, of the two Jetta looked the most effective breaking lines and setting up plays. Parker was very physical but did not really have much of an influence. K. Jack, Rampe and Cunningham were very effective in their various roles, Rampe seemed to be given a free rein in the backline being used as the extra man. Jake LLoyd looked to be the only obvious injury concern but by the end of the 3rd quarter he seemed to be moving his arm freely and it did not look serious.

Finally, LLoyd Perris appeared on crutches and Alex Johnson also made an appearance. AJ especially looked well, moving freely and in shorts and thongs, would like to know his situation.

From the highlight reel of Rose it appears that he gets plenty of the ball but his disposal is poor. What are the thoughts of those who saw him play last night? The Swans must have a lot of confidence in him if they took him with their first selection and gave him the no.1 guernsey.

So glad to hear that Mitchell is going well. Hopefully he'll be in our starting 22 every game this year as I think we really need him.

A bit disappointed that XR didn't have a great game. I was hoping that he would be playing some games for us this year. I get the impression that AA has overtaken him despite being a younger. He looks so much bigger than XR but having looked at their Bio XR is slightly taller and heavier. Must be his skin colour that makes him look bigger. I'd like to see Shaw playing in the magoos this year so we can give some of these young guys the chance to step up.
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 28th February 2015 at 12:06 PM.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks for all your input people - gives a solid and absorbing assessment of how they all went. Much appreciated.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I nominate Jeffers as official game day photographer.
    Really nice work and I liked the blue & red filters!
    Many thanks ????

Graeme I disagree about Hewett. He had plenty of it and was playing on Kennedy, a hard task at any time. They played well clear of each other. But he also took Hannas at times. I thought he did well. He is not an extractor like Kennedy, Parker or Mitchell. He plays the role of taking the ball from the extractors and setting play up. I thought he did that quite well. He got a lot of handball out to runners. That is probably why he wasn't as noticeable to some. Mitrchell suffers from the same disease. People always say 'He didn't get 30 did he?'.

Melican did do well but at times people were mixing him and Hewett up. Melican played Half Back and in the third half forward. But Hewett was also providing leads in the back half on kick ins too. So if the play was on the other side easy to mix the two up. I have the binoculars out.