Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 1 V Essendon

Assuming that everyone is available for round 1, this is the line up I'd like to see:
    B: Smith - Richards - Rampe
    HB: McVeigh - Grundy - Jetta
    C: Bird - Mitchell - Hannebery
    HF: K.Jack - Franklin - Cunningham
    FF: Goodes - Tippett - McGlynn
    Ruck: Pkye - Kennedy - Parker
    INT: Reid - Heeney - Rohan
    SUB: LLoyd/Towers/Jones

I would expect that Shaw will be in the side however. The coaches will most likely prefer his experience.

HB: McVeigh - Grundy - Shaw
    C: Cunningham - Lloyd - Hannebery
    HF: K.Jack - Franklin - Birdy
    Ruck: Pyke - Kennedy - Parker
    INT: Reid - Mitchell - Jetts - Heeney

Jack seemed to think Laidler was going to be in the 22 ??

But for me Rohan is behind the impact for 4 qtrs that Mitchell and Heeney can have on the game

Obviously Reid jumps into the backline if the opposition plays tall in the forward line
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Assuming that everyone is available for round 1, this is the line up I'd like to see:

I would expect that Shaw will be in the side however. The coaches will most likely prefer his experience.
    Yep that is the team that I would go with. I wonder if they may go with lloyd into the starting team though and have mitchell as sub. I too would like to see Shaw omitted but also think that the selectors are likely to back his experience.

Given that we haven't seen Jones at all in the NAB challenge I doubt he is in contention for round 1. It will be interesting to see who play for the reserves next week, could give us a clue to the fringe players for round 1.

Suspended by the MRP
    He is a team without the doubtful players:

Tippett
    Franklin
    McVeigh
    McGlynn
    K. Jack

B Rampe Richards Smith
    HB Jetta Grundy Rohan
    C Cunningham Mitchell Hanners
    HF Towers Reid Heeney
    F Lloyd Pyke Goodes
    Foll Naismith Kennedy Parker

Inter Bird, Laidler, Shaw
    Sub B.Jack

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    He is a team without the doubtful players:

Tippett
    Franklin
    McVeigh
    McGlynn
    K. Jack

B Rampe Richards Smith
    HB Jetta Grundy Rohan
    C Cunningham Mitchell Hanners
    HF Towers Reid Heeney
    F Lloyd Pyke Goodes
    Foll Naismith Kennedy Parker

Inter Bird, Laidler, Shaw
    Sub B.Jack
    Would look better with membrey there.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    HB: McVeigh - Grundy - Shaw
    C: Cunningham - Lloyd - Hannebery
    HF: K.Jack - Franklin - Birdy
    Ruck: Pyke - Kennedy - Parker
    INT: Reid - Mitchell - Jetts - Heeney

I would prefer this over SS's team.
    Until proved otherwise Lloyd should be a starter (or on the bench - not sub).
    Maybe Benny out with injury cloud allowing Laids in to the bench and Heeney the sub?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    ...Jack seemed to think Laidler was going to be in the 22 ??.....
    It was pretty common last year to pump up the fringe players at this time last year

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post

Don't mind this team but Lloyd has to play, based on last year, and Shaw certainly will, and I think he went ok today. Heeney as sub is best he can hope for at this stage but I suspect he's probably no. 23 at best if all are fit.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

It was hard to make an assessment of how the side will shape up with our 2 big guns missing from the forward line.

Lucky that we are playing the Bombers. Regardless how the doping ruling comes out, we should be playing a fairly inexperienced or underdone side. So having Buddy and Tippo playing their first game together for the season shouldn't be too big a drama. Goodes seems okay and should be damaging with the other 2 taking the main defenders.

I was pleased to see Reid playing the whole game down back even though he didn't look great at times. I think we need to persist with this and hope the chemistry comes right in due course. I'm not sure if Laidler can hold his place, although he has been putting in reasonable performances; it's just a matter of who to leave out. He's a strong kick of the ball, so can take the kick-ins and give a bit more freedom to Jetta, who has looked very damaging and could be headed for a big season.

I agree with those who think that we will opt to keep Shaw in the side, at least until it is more settled. Just makes it harder to see who gets omitted.

Heeney looks too good to leave out of the side. He does it all. It's hard to believe the physicality and aggression from such a young player. Takes marks, kicks goals, tackles. He already seems an accomplished player.

All that said, I would hate to see Towers dropped from the team. He has made so much progress and coming along nicely for a player that's only had a handful of senior games. I wouldn't want to hamper his development. His quick handball set up the winning goal today.

I still have 25 players in my 1st round side, which is a pretty good position to be in.

Maybe we should leave Heeney out of the side until a decision has been made on the academy/FS percentages? Him being amongst the best in round one won't help our call for a higher % for the academy selections. After the decision has been finalised we can let him go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I was pleased to see Reid playing the whole game down back even though he didn't look great at times. I think we need to persist with this and hope the chemistry comes right in due course.
    I agree with most of your comments but fear that Reid on the back line is a bridge too far at this time. He lacks the strength or the experience to out maneuver the monster opponents like Hawkins and does not have the acceleration to go with a leading forward like Gunston.

Cameron was all over him and its all very well to say he can learn on the job but he's been working up back all summer on Buddy and Tippett maybe he has to do it in the ressies or not at all.

That said there was not much to get excited about regarding our defence, the Jetta experiment continues with varied success and whilst he was running strongly with the ball, his decision making and disposal selection lack perception and precision, and turnovers will kill us against the better teams. Too often he finishes good work with a long bomb to a contest or a pass through the corridor that misses the target.

Shaw also spoils good upfield work with turnovers.

Those concerns aside, Heeney was impressive and despite my earlier belief he may need some time in reserves, I take it back unreservedly, he's ready. He'll be a handful for any defence.

I thought Mitchell did enough with opportunities he had. Robinson was given more game time, probably as a balance issue given he was taller and could play a forward role better. But when he got his chance he certainly had the better of his duel with the GWS onballers.

Was it my imagination or are teams targeting Hannabery whenever he goes near the ball? He has copped plenty in the 3 NAB games and looked like he was a little the worse for wear by the end.

Our rucks held their own against Mumford but without Tippett or Derrickx, Pyke cannot do the job alone and whilst Naismith is improving he seems at least one season away from this level.

Would have liked to see Allir get a decent hitout during this preseason. He has looked very impressive on the training track and I thought he deserved a showing. Especially with our dearth of tall defenders.

My 22, given Franklin, Tippett, McVeigh, McGlynn, K. Jack and Derrickx may all be unavailable:

B: Smith Richards Rohan
    HB: Laidler Grundy Rampe
    C: Hannabery Kennedy Cunningham
    HF: Heeney Reid Towers
    F: Bird Goodes Naismith
    Foll: Pyke Parker Mitchell
    Res: Lloyd, Jetta , B Jack*
    Sub: Robinson**

** Franklin if available
    *K. Jack if available

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    You'd have Franklin as the sub??