Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still the Bloods?

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Still the Bloods?

This article by Garry Lyon should be posted on the wall of the dressing room AND the coaches' box. I wouldn't disagree with a word of it.

Are the Swans still true 'Bloods'?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Great article. I'm especially happy that he pointed out that we were out coached in the GF. I hope that the whole club, from the top down to the boot studders, read this.

Yeah tough to read but pretty accurate. Hope the Bloods come out swinging when the season begins

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't disagree with the assessment of the grand final performance. I do take issue with the notion that recruiting Franklin and Tippett was a departure from a tried and tested recruitment strategy, and one that threatens what has made the club successful. Like many clubs, we have had success with giving a renewed opportunity to other clubs' fringe players. But our presence as a decent contender over much of the last 20 years has also been a product of the recruitments of Lockett, Roos, Schwass (forced on us to some extent as Grant walked out), Williams, Hall. Going after top quality players when they become available is not a new strategy and is one that has served the club well (as it has Hawthorn).

Even Lyon acknowledges in his piece that there is zero evidence of Buddy and his contract being a distraction.

If anything, I think the knowledge that they had Buddy in the team might have - subconsciously - persuaded many of the team that the team was better than it was on GF day, and that their use of the football would win them the day, rather than the focus on intense pressure that was successful in 2012.

Senior Player
    I think that in about 20+ rounds of football we had 2 bad games, one was against Richmond that didn't matter if we won or lost and the 2nd happened to be the GF. From the GF result and the fact Mal has left the experts are starting to predict the demise of the swans. Who knows what caused such a bad game in the GF but it was one game. Hawks only got into the GF by the skin of their teeth as Port nearly rolled them but that was last year this is this year and anything can happen.

Opti-pessi-misti
    My first reaction to reading the article was, 'Wow', that is a stinging assessment, but much of it what many people have been thinking but no one has actually put it out there like that.

It was an inexplicable performance especially taking into consideration their position on top of the ladder - they had been playing great footy. For whatever reason, they went into the game totally unprepared for what the Hawks dished up. I too am waiting, somewhat nervously, to see how the whole group, from coaches down, have analysed the performance and the reasons behind it how they are going to respond.

Senior Player
    Well on the back of that 1 game, all the so-called Melb experts have written us off but are adoring North Melbourne who the swans thrashed in the pre-lim. who really knows what happened GF day but to go from being favourites to non contenders because of one game is utterly ridiculous. The predictions are based on the fact the swans have to be able to beat Hawthorn which is not necessarily true as:
    1. Hawthorn may fall off their high and mighty perch - here's hoping they do
    2. Last year the best 2 teams finished 1st and 2nd and contested the GF - that is not always the case, meaning Swans may not even play Hawthorn in any finals including the GF depending on final ladder positions
    3. It was very nearly a Port versus Swans GF last year so I stand by the fact anything can happen
    4. Swans may not have been allowed to draft (which still annoys me to the max) but we can definitely improve - The Tippet/Franklin combo can improve for starters, Jetta can improve, Parker can etc etc
    5. The experst have also written off Adam Goodes which in itself can be dangerous
    6. I choose to believe that the GF was just a bad all be it a very bad day at the office for all.

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    Well on the back of that 1 game, all the so-called Melb experts have written us off but are adoring North Melbourne who the swans thrashed in the pre-lim. who really knows what happened GF day but to go from being favourites to non contenders because of one game is utterly ridiculous. The predictions are based on the fact the swans have to be able to beat Hawthorn which is not necessarily true as:
    1. Hawthorn may fall off their high and mighty perch - here's hoping they do
    2. Last year the best 2 teams finished 1st and 2nd and contested the GF - that is not always the case, meaning Swans may not even play Hawthorn in any finals including the GF depending on final ladder positions
    3. It was very nearly a Port versus Swans GF last year so I stand by the fact anything can happen
    4. Swans may not have been allowed to draft (which still annoys me to the max) but we can definitely improve - The Tippet/Franklin combo can improve for starters, Jetta can improve, Parker can etc etc
    5. The experst have also written off Adam Goodes which in itself can be dangerous
    6. I choose to believe that the GF was just a bad all be it a very bad day at the office for all.
    Excellently stated. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment especially point 6. Let's see how the season pans out. I think the performance in round 1 will dictate how they will go (irrespective of the Bombers team that will be selected).

Hard to disagree with a lot of what he said. However, I don't buy that Tippett or Franklin have really had any impact on the culture of the club. We've always had our fair share of 'superstar' buys at times.

It will always be a great mystery as to what happened on GF day - but here's hoping we can be like Geelong in '09, Hawks in '13 and use it as motivation to drive us to better things. The hurt will only truly end for the players if they go out and go one better in '15.

I agree with a lot of experts that we might struggle to come to terms with last year, and that it'll affect our 2015. I don't agree with those that think we are suddenly going to fall off a cliff as a result - if we do, it truly will mark the end of the 'bloods' culture.

Bring it on is what I say - can't wait for next Saturday!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I don't agree with those that think we are suddenly going to fall off a cliff as a result - if we do, it truly will mark the end of the 'bloods' culture.
    Imagine being a member of the Swans side that saw the end of the bloods culture? Your name would forever be tarnished. I hope that would be motivation enough for the boys to give it their all.

This has certainly felt like the longest off-season, I've been trying to avoid articles like this. But I guess it's time to face it. I hope we annihilate any doubt whatsoever that we aren't Flag Contenders by killing it Rd 1, whether it's Essendon's first or seconds team and prove that Grand Final Day was just an anomaly. Asides from maybe our tall defenders and ruck, we still have so much upside in all positions and I'm secretly loving it that people are writing us off so soon. I always preferred being the underdogs anyway!

Goes up to 11
    That's a rubbish article.

* Completely ignores out the team's strong form, and favouritism, leading up to the big day. I'm in the camp that sees the GF performance as a bad day and not the first step in the team's decline.

* conveniently ignores the Pluggers, Locketts and other big name recruits from previous eras.

* Regurgitates the oft-used Melbourne-based rubbish from 2014 that the recruitment of Buddy would destroy the team's psyche.

* Malceski got a better offer. It's free agency - perhaps Garry hasn't gotten his head around that concept yet.

* oh and he conveniently managed to forget the AFL's trade ban.

It'd be easy to write these sorts of articles that predict the demise of this or that team. Basing the prediction on the Grand Final performance is not exactly wonderful analysis in my opinion.

Just another of the many rubbishy pre-season articles spun out before the actual footy starts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast