Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 2 V Port.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    What about Pike??

Not setting the world alight by any means.

We have several young ruckmen, I think maybe we should start giving them a go along with Tippet.

We need mobile ruckmen like Brisbane Martin, not slow big men.

And one last chance for Goodes, our forward line is way to top heavy with him there.
    doof-doof

Senior Player
    I think Cunningham has lost his way and is playing without any confidence. The remedy for that is the reserves, not throwing him to the wolves against Port. BJ would be better if we need some speed.

Jetta is almost in that category as well and did not seem too keen to take on contests yesterday but I guess he will be given another crack on the big ground in the dry.

Stopping the Port runners who are strong, agile, fast and can read the play is probably the biggest challenge for the game. Maybe the Rampe to the midfield idea will have some impact. That weakens the backline but we don't seem to have any other options.

Mitchell for Parker. McVeigh back via the ressies, its been too long. McGlynn probably not ready. Give Goodsey another shot but it is a worry.

Overall, BJ for Cunningham and Mitchell for Parker. Wish I knew more about the ressies practice game result.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Hard to know how we'll go on a dry Adelaide Oval v a sodden Stadium Australia. Some of the comparisons are valid and some aren't. I do agree that we'll need speed though.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I really feel like I was at a different game when I read comments about Jetta, Shaw, Towers and Goodes, but more specifically the lack of discussion about our backline and Grundy in particular.
    Jetta is happy to get the footy on his terms but is @@@@@@ the rest of the time, Shaw is being led to the ball too often and when he used as a free runner his disposals are poor to unrealistic. Towers needs game time but in the mean time has no positioning and a lack of awareness that borders on spectating. Goodes was problematic throughout the day and a chase he half made on Hibbert early did him in.
    Grundy looked like he was still recovering from the GF and his "shadow punching" is weird.
    Rampe is a mid-fielder who has been given an opportunity to play in great team as a back.
    Reid was instrumental from part way through the third quarter when he went onto Goddard in getting back into the contest. His positioning both forward and back were excellent he contested both as third man up, in marking contests and when he went forward in the last quarter he made a couple of goals.
    We need on ballers prepared to win the football against Port.
    They do not have a super quick midfield.
    Wines is not quick. Boak is not quick. Gray is not quick. Hartlett is not quick. They win the football with aggression and skill. They have quick outside runners, but they have to be in possession to distribute outside. Freo do not have a quick midfield. Hawthorn does not have a quick midfield. Geelong does not have a quick midfield.
    We need to win possession at clearances. The last quarter was about clearances. Mitchell wins clearances.
    There I've finished my rant.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    I really feel like I was at a different game when I read comments about Jetta, Shaw, Towers and Goodes, but more specifically the lack of discussion about our backline and Grundy in particular.

Grundy looked like he was still recovering from the GF and his "shadow punching" is weird
    It's always interesting how we see different things. My comments were made after watching the game for a second time this morning. I agree ablut Grundy but we don't really have any viable alternatives I don't think so I think he needs to gain confidence through game time.

I think laidler actually looked pretty solid despite me not picking him in the team myself.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Jetta is happy to get the footy on his terms but is @@@@@@ the rest of the time, Shaw is being led to the ball too often and when he used as a free runner his disposals are poor to unrealistic. Towers needs game time but in the mean time has no positioning and a lack of awareness that borders on spectating. Goodes was problematic throughout the day and a chase he half made on Hibbert early did him in.
    Grundy looked like he was still recovering from the GF and his "shadow punching" is weird.
    Rampe is a mid-fielder who has been given an opportunity to play in great team as a back.
    Reid was instrumental from part way through the third quarter when he went onto Goddard in getting back into the contest. His positioning both forward and back were excellent he contested both as third man up, in marking contests and when he went forward in the last quarter he made a couple of goals.
    We need on ballers prepared to win the football against Port.
    They do not have a super quick midfield.
    Wines is not quick. Boak is not quick. Gray is not quick. Hartlett is not quick. They win the football with aggression and skill. They have quick outside runners, but they have to be in possession to distribute outside. Freo do not have a quick midfield. Hawthorn does not have a quick midfield. Geelong does not have a quick midfield.
    We need to win possession at clearances. The last quarter was about clearances. Mitchell wins clearances.
    There I've finished my rant.
    Good rant graemed. Agree with most of it. I feel a little bit more generous to Towers who at least applies some physical pressure compared to Jetta but there are very few alternatives atm.
    I must say that the silver ling of the cloud we saw for 3 quarters yesterday was the improvement of Reid as third man up, an improved ability to use his body and an ability to defend (could he be another gadget man?).Also the continued improvement of Rampe who must now be one of the most reliable players in the side.
    I also couldn't believe the shadow punches from Grundy, but, I saw a number of instances where there no talking on the field, in particular from Goodes when he hand balled to I think it was Parker before he got run down, and seems that Richards is not saying much at the right times either.

Not so sure about Port's midfield not being quick either, haven't looked at Draft Camp results or anything, but they seem to have a combination of speed and agility that we don't have and it shows up on the big grounds. Couldn't agree more about clearances though, Mitchell is a must.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    What about Pike??

Not setting the world alight by any means.

We have several young ruckmen, I think maybe we should start giving them a go along with Tippet.

We need mobile ruckmen like Brisbane Martin, not slow big men.

And one last chance for Goodes, our forward line is way to top heavy with him there.
    Pyke made a few clever taps in the last quarter, keeping the ball alive when he needed to.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    It's always interesting how we see different things. My comments were made after watching the game for a second time this morning. I agree ablut Grundy but we don't really have any viable alternatives I don't think so I think he needs to gain confidence through game time.

I think laidler actually looked pretty solid despite me not picking him in the team myself.
    Yeh live Laidler was ok but on replay he was actually pretty good

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Good rant graemed...Not so sure about Port's midfield not being quick either...
    A bit of a self fulfilling prophecy going on here. The coach says they work on running out games one preseason, the media picks up on it in, they win a game where that were behind and all of a sudden they are fast/fast finishing team. I remember Macca saying before one game against them they would gladly match their run at the end of the game against the Power. He was pretty confident in their training to see them finish stronger.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

After watching a couple of other matches I see how much we need to raise our level of pressure and intensity. As much as I want to keep Goodes in the side, I don't think he applies enough pressure at this stage of his career to play a full game. I think he will make a good sub; he's an impact player.

McGlynn will eventually come into the side when fit. He's a very good pressure player. I dropped Cunningham and Laidler from the side. I think we can have one 'defensive' forward and now prefer Towers to Harry. Laidler is hard at the contest, but he's not a midfielder. It's a choice between Mitchell and Laidler and I would give Mitchell the nod. We just need more pressure on the ball and the player.

Here's my team for next week:

FB Grundy Reid Richards
    HB Shaw McVeigh Smith
    CTR Jetta Hannebery Rampe
    Rk Pyke Kennedy Parker
    HF Bird Franklin Jack
    FF Towers Tippett Rohan
    INT Heeney Mitchell Lloyd
    SUB Goodes
    EMG Cunningham Robinson Laidler

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    After watching a couple of other matches I see how much we need to raise our level of pressure and intensity. As much as I want to keep Goodes in the side, I don't think he applies enough pressure at this stage of his career to play a full game. I think he will make a good sub; he's an impact player.

McGlynn will eventually come into the side when fit. He's a very good pressure player. I dropped Cunningham and Laidler from the side. I think we can have one 'defensive' forward and now prefer Towers to Harry. Laidler is hard at the contest, but he's not a midfielder. It's a choice between Mitchell and Laidler and I would give Mitchell the nod. We just need more pressure on the ball and the player.

Here's my team for next week:

FB Grundy Reid Richards
    HB Shaw McVeigh Smith
    CTR Jetta Hannebery Rampe
    Rk Pyke Kennedy Parker
    HF Bird Franklin Jack
    FF Towers Tippett Rohan
    INT Heeney Mitchell Lloyd
    SUB Goodes
    EMG Cunningham Robinson Laidler
    Goodes as the sub definitely sends a message to him but is it insulting I wonder?

I guess this is all tinkering around the edges that we are talking about. It would seem that towers laidler goodes Cunningham are considered our bottom 4 by most people here.

Out of these 3 emergencies which would you actually take to Adelaide seeing as they normally only travel with one of the named emergencies. I probably think Robinson is the most versatile out of those 3 in the emergency role but laids looked pretty good last week. He does take a good intercept mark and we know reg and ted are more punchers than markers

Senior Player
    And I'm looking forward to watching the port fro game in an hour.

Question is who should we be cheering for. Do we want to play port coming off a win or a loss

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast