Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 2 V Port.

Suspended by the MRP
    Although he has never said it publicly, I wonder if Goodes is eyeing of Michael Tuck's games record. He has 75 games to go. He may get there if he plays four more seasons. He will turn 38 in four seasons from now.

This milestone is in reach and I'm going to back him.

There will be games this year where he chips in with 3 - 4 valuable cameo goals.

It was a wet night and no tall player dominated. He still looks quite sharp and if Fletcher can keep going, so can Goodes.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Outs - Parker, Laidler

Ins - McVeigh, Mitchell

Parker may need a week out after that massive collision. You bring in another inside midfield extractor in Mitchell. This keeps the team balance of having three pure inside midfield extractors.

Laidler was excellent, but we can't afford to lose any pace against Port and we have other back line
    options.

Towers to Sub.

Sam Reid should tag Westoff for the whole game. He looked good when put on Goddard. Reid has to limit Westoff's influence around the ground.

We need to keep the game in tight, on the boundary line and not let the play open up.

I would then back Franklin, Tippett and Goodes to kick a score against the Port key defence, who are not A-Graders.
    Matt. How would you change your team if Parker is indeed fit to play ?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Matt. How would you change your team if Parker is indeed fit to play ?
    McVeigh for Laidler.

Need to keep pace in the side and including Mitchell will give us one pure inside midfield extractor too many. Bird is playing too well to make way for Mitchell.

Laidler is a lot like Mattner (after he lost his pace). He's a solid defender with a long left foot kick. Mattner played when we had 3 key defenders (Reg, Ted, LRT) and was good as the third man in a contest and an intercept marker. Teams with 3 good tall marking options can exploit Laidler as a 3rd tall, and he's not a rebounder, so it limits how we can use him. All that said, he's a great player to have at the club, as he can come in and cover in case of injury to a key defender. Rampe can drop back into defence and do the same job as Laidler plus provide rebound out of defence, and can also go into the midfield.

I hope that Reid can grow into the job of a key defender until one of our kids comes through, because we are certainly light in that area of the ground.

Zak Jones is another player that is made for the modern pressure game. He should make his way into the team as well at some point in the season.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Laidler is a lot like Mattner (after he lost his pace). He's a solid defender with a long left foot kick. Mattner played when we had 3 key defenders (Reg, Ted, LRT) and was good as the third man in a contest and an intercept marker. Teams with 3 good tall marking options can exploit Laidler as a 3rd tall, and he's not a rebounder, so it limits how we can use him. All that said, he's a great player to have at the club, as he can come in and cover in case of injury to a key defender. Rampe can drop back into defence and do the same job as Laidler plus provide rebound out of defence, and can also go into the midfield.

I hope that Reid can grow into the job of a key defender until one of our kids comes through, because we are certainly light in that area of the ground.

Zak Jones is another player that is made for the modern pressure game. He should make his way into the team as well at some point in the season.
    I think thats not a bad comment about laidler. He is our most solid defender under the high ball in my opinion but just lacks pace. If he was faster he would be a starting player every week.

With our team at full strength who would you see Zak jones coming in for. I agree Zak has a lot of upside but at whose expense?

- - - Updated - - -

I was watching the replay of bombers vs swans 2011 yesterday. Made me miss AJ

Although he has never said it publicly, I wonder if Goodes is eyeing of Michael Tuck's games record. He has 75 games to go. He may get there if he plays four more seasons. He will turn 38 in four seasons from now.

There will be games this year where he chips in with 3 - 4 valuable cameo goals.

It was a wet night and no tall player dominated. He still looks quite sharp and if Fletcher can keep going, so can Goodes.
    Goodes has pretty dodgy knees (inspite of a treatment - that hasn't got a lot of evidence - to prolong his career). People are calling for curtains on his career now, let alone in 4 years.

Tell him he's dreaming

Suspended by the MRP
    After the Port game I think Heeney needs to be placed in the subs vest for the GWS game. We need to manage him properly and a rest in the subs vest every 3 / 4 weeks would be a good way to freshen him up.

Does anyone agree?

Senior Player
    After the Port game I think Heeney needs to be placed in the subs vest for the GWS game. We need to manage him properly and a rest in the subs vest every 3 / 4 weeks would be a good way to freshen him up.

Does anyone agree?
    That's probably not a bad idea about managing heeney ( although I have no knowledge of physical conditioning) just sounds like a good idea to me.

Regarding goodes Knees there is absolutely no medical evidence that stem cells are of any use in regenerating cartilage in knees which is the expensive treatment that he has been having. I'm very dubious that it's doing anything to help Goodes but sure it's doing a lot to make someone else wealthy

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Jetta is happy to get the footy on his terms but is @@@@@@ the rest of the time, Shaw is being led to the ball too often and when he used as a free runner his disposals are poor to unrealistic. Towers needs game time but in the mean time has no positioning and a lack of awareness that borders on spectating. Goodes was problematic throughout the day and a chase he half made on Hibbert early did him in.
    Hard to argue against many these points. Jetta will won't to learn to be a lot more accountable if he is going to play down back.

Shaw's disposal look even worse than last year, and we are going to be so reliant on him coming out of the back line.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I think Cunningham has lost his way and is playing without any confidence. The remedy for that is the reserves, not throwing him to the wolves against Port. BJ would be better if we need some speed.

Jetta is almost in that category as well and did not seem too keen to take on contests yesterday but I guess he will be given another crack on the big ground in the dry.

Stopping the Port runners who are strong, agile, fast and can read the play is probably the biggest challenge for the game. Maybe the Rampe to the midfield idea will have some impact. That weakens the backline but we don't seem to have any other options.

Mitchell for Parker. McVeigh back via the ressies, its been too long. McGlynn probably not ready. Give Goodsey another shot but it is a worry.

Overall, BJ for Cunningham and Mitchell for Parker. Wish I knew more about the ressies practice game result.
    I agree that Goodsey looked very ordinary yesterday, 35 supercoach points, maybe his lowest ever. I suppose its harsh to drop him now, but they cannot continue with him because his defenCe is almost not existence these days. Maybe another one or two chances!! just a side light.. Watching heeney yesterday in his first game wow!! And they say Callum Mills is better..WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

I thought Laidler did well yesterday, and indeed did quite a decent job when he pushed further forward. He is one of those good depth players every club must have- and he does look like Mattner as well style wise (lets hope he gets a chance to make a contribution like that of Mattner in 2012)!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry but he'll be lucky to see out this year, let alone another 4 years!

Even taking into account the wet night - he looked absolutely awful yesterday, completely off the pace and his contribution was minimal at best. I have the utmost respect for him, but if we get 4 or 5 weeks of that in a row, then its got to get to a point where the club must make the hard call. Even if that initially is to try him in the subs vest.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Pains me to say it but goodes may have stayed one season to long

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast