Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 2 V Port.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Anyone else travelling to adelaide next week for the port game? It's my first interstate trip for an away game. I Can't wait.
    Sadly I'm permantly stuck in Adelaide, so I'll be there!

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    any chance you can stop using ridiculous gridiron terms like 'depth chart' - it is really, really annoying. This is an AFL forum, not a gridiron forum.
    There is a thread devoted entirely to 'depth charts' ... good spot for such stuff

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    There is a thread devoted entirely to 'depth charts' ... good spot for such stuff
    Whilst I don't always agree with matt80 I appreciate his contributions to our discussions here. I'm just a fan who really just enjoys watching our team perform ( hopefully well). My opinions certainly have no authority they are just opinions. I enjoy reading many varies opinions. Ludwig has given much food for thought with the last few posts.

Cheers for a good and entertaining forum

Senior Player
    There is a writeup about it on the GWS website but the sods didn't have the decency to include any info about the swans. Sorry, no link, beyond my technical capabilities ATM. Seems that there were a number of GWS players vieing for senior selection in the game.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    There is a writeup about it on the GWS website but the sods didn't have the decency to include any info about the swans. Sorry, no link, beyond my technical capabilities ATM. Seems that there were a number of GWS players vieing for senior selection in the game.
    I wouldn't expect a Swans Reserves report to contain any information about the opposition, instead I save my criticism for the Swans site who have failed to report on the past two reserves games. I know they are practice matches but obviously they have a bearing on senior selection and the fans would liked to be kept in the loop. It's a definite downgrade from past years when such practice games were reported on.

NEAFL Round 1 is THIS weekend, against Ainslie

Not sure what match Matt was getting his knickers in knot over but how about we reserve judgement on them until they have actually played a competitive game.....

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Gerard Healy, who unlike Matt actually knows something about football, was asked to comment on the Swans' Premiership prospects and indeed if they had any.

His view, as always was on the money. He said we were but that a few things needed to happen for us to challenge this season. Firstly he said we needed Tippet to have a near All-Australian season. He said that Tom Mitchell needed to play and play well. He also said we needed two but preferably three new or fringe players to step and step up big.

The first two scenarios are well and truly achievable and I really want to see Tom given a chance but totally trust the Horse.

Re the "step ups" he mentioned Zak Jones and Heeney as potentials and I see them as the best bet but I feel we need a third. Could Towers explode on the scene? I doubt it. Brandon Jack maybe because if his pure pace but he leaves me underwhelmed every time I see him. Maybe Robinson, maybe Lloyd could improve out of sight like Parker did a couple of seasons ago. Whoever it is we need two or three young kids to really take this opportunity.

It also shows how evil and debilitating the trade ban was but if it was because we had Frawley signed up then we only have ourselves to blame

From what I have seen, albeit on one wet Saturday, I can see no place for Goodes in that side. It's sad but unavoidable event in the brutal world of professional sport.
    Your correct Mug. Gerard Healy is a legend of the game and is a serious AFL pundit. He is also great TV talent.

I provide an amateur viewpoint on Red and White, inspired by my own thought out theories. I'm not an authority in the AFL community, just an evidenced based analyser.

Healy, who was on the couch last night, could not explain why Tom Mitchell is not being selected when asked.

I have been expressing a theory since mid-way through last year on why Mitchell is not being selected. People got agitated with me and claimed that Tom had niggles in 2014 and will be ready to roll in 2015 after a full pre-season.

Tom is still in the reserves because the decision is based on team midfield balance. A maximum of three slower inside midfield extractors are selected and the evidence has been there since round four last year. I would be surprised if Kennedy, Parker, Bird and Mitchell ever play in the same selected side.

Maybe this week Parker will drop out for Mitchell, which still gives you three.

Gerard Healy does not know why Mitchell is not selected, but this is my theory that has been checking out for almost a year.

I thought this system would still be in place in 2015, but I thought it would be Mitchell playing regularly and not Craig Bird.

Keep an eye on how this midfield system plays out. If Kennedy, Parker, Mitchell and Bird play in the one side then my theory is dead and I will apologise.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Keep an eye on how this midfield system plays out. If Kennedy, Parker, Mitchell and Bird play in the one side then my theory is dead and I will apologise.
    I've been thinking about hawthorn after watching them demolish geelong yesterday. They are clearly the hardest team to beat. I think a lot of that is due to skill but a significant part is due to coaching and the fact that basically every player can and does play in all positions. There is an unpredictability as to who will be in clearances who will
    Be forward who any of the matchups will be which confuses the opposition and makes the Hawks look invincible.

I been thinking that we need to keep improving our versatility to match the Hawks. It seems our clearances have become quite predictable. Kennedy to Parker to hannebery or Jack.

If we are to play mitchell as well as bird plus the others I think we need to be rotating kennedy and Parker more through the forward line. Parker is the best contested mark in the team and a great forward. Kennedy we know can kick goals ( though didn't have a good year last year while forward). We need that Unpredictability. Rampe into the middle helps but it needs to become even Moreso.

I could see Mitchell coming in along with bird and the others in that scenario. Add in Heeney mcveigh to that midfield Unpredictability and maybe just maybe we can upset the Hawks.

Mitchell didn't exactly light the world on fire in the NAB cup but it won't take long to put 2 and 2 together if we continue to get smashed in clearances week after week. There's no point in having outside run if your inside players (Parker/Kennedy) have 2 players on their back the second they touch the ball and can't make an effective disposal out of the contest. It's predictable and one-dimensional and it's part of the reason why Essendon smashed us for 3 quarters on the weekend until Rampe was thrown in the mix and offered another avenue out.

Hawthorn have 4-5 world-class "slow" inside mids (Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Langford, Burgoyne) whose only job is to get the ball out to their team's advantage. If you win the majority of the contested ball and rarely make a silly turnover you will be impossible to beat, no matter how fast the other team can run.

If we lose on clearances again this weekend I won't be expecting another 4th quarter miracle. Port will demolish us.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Mitchell didn't exactly light the world on fire in the NAB cup but it won't take long to put 2 and 2 together if we continue to get smashed in clearances week after week. There's no point in having outside run if your inside players (Parker/Kennedy) have 2 players on their back the second they touch the ball and can't make an effective disposal out of the contest. It's predictable and one-dimensional and it's part of the reason why Essendon smashed us for 3 quarters on the weekend until Rampe was thrown in the mix and offered another avenue out.

Hawthorn have 4-5 world-class "slow" inside mids (Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Langford, Burgoyne) whose only job is to get the ball out to their team's advantage. If you win the majority of the contested ball and rarely make a silly turnover you will be impossible to beat, no matter how fast the other team can run.

If we lose on clearances again this weekend I won't be expecting another 4th quarter miracle. Port will demolish us.
    Yes the clearances in every other game I watched on the weekend were fare less congested than the swans bombers game. Now I'm sure the rain has a lot do to with that but I think hird definitely coached that way to shut down kennedy and Parker and look at the result.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Anyone else travelling to adelaide next week for the port game? It's my first interstate trip for an away game. I Can't wait.
    I'll be there aguy. We'll be sitting with the cheer squad.
    Hope the swans turn up too.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post

Not sure if Port will crush us!! Looked at replay and the bombers went defensive but they still looked to be running pretty well and did not look slow in the last quarter. The Swans fumbled the ball up to the 41 points behind mark and from then it seemed a different game (Apart from the Grundy usual fumbles). It seem very strange to go from fumbles to sure ball handling?? Next week could be a surprise.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast