Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Round 2 Port Adelaide v Swans

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    I think the technicality of the rule is something to do with Pyke having already jumped-blocked-landed before he actually made contact with the ball...if he had have jumped and got the elevation he was after and then tapped the ball it would have been play on.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Senior Player
    Free kicks awarded in ruck contest:

"Early leap making contact with opponent, then lands on ground and hits the football

Makes contact with opponent whilst not watching the football

A good indicator to use when judging a player�s intention is his eyes. Looking at his eyes is going to help you to determine wether his objective is to impede the other ruckman or to contest the ball. However, remember that a player's eyes are a guide only, do not pay a free kick solely on where his eyes are."

AFL Community: Ruck Contests

The excerpts are taken from the interpretation section of the umpiring rules. I suspect The free was awarded as conor says because pyke blocked while in the air landed them hit the ball. The umpire said something about his eyes but that is probably a furphy in this one. I think the umpire was technically correct even though I don't like admitting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    What is this " Whistleblowers" thing of which you speak and where can it be viewed?
    It's a weekly video segment on afl.com.au where they discuss unusual or interesting umpiring decisions from the previous round with the Senior Umpiring Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Some years ago, we used to always have an entertainment act of some sort before all SCG games (can't remember exactly when - all the years blur in my memory). It was often the cast from whatever show was in town at the time. I remember American marching bands, once - that was fun.

But really, we go for the footy, not other stuff.
    Oh I love marching bands! OSU have the best marching band in the world, some of the stuff they do is insane!

The Ohio State University Marching Band Performs their Hollywood Blockbuster Show - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Decent beer perhaps???
    Nailed it.

I'd attend more regularly / get to the ground earlier and spend more if there were any decent craft beers available.

And no, Fat Yak in the members stand doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Of course the football is the centre piece , but The Port match day experience is pretty bloody good. I'm sure there would be a similar atmosphere at crows games but I'll try to get to a Port game every year, I love the pre game 'never tear us a part' rendition, its great! Also , Did anyone venture into the village pre game? Food trucks selling gourmet street food, some music, sangria stalls, beers etc. obviously this wouldn't be as viable in Melbourne with so many games on here every weekend but something like that in the other two club towns could work. Nice touch I though.
    Crows have the worlds most annoying crow sound on the scoreboard after they kick a goal, if you count that as entertianment.... lucky it didn't get too much of a workout last year when I went to the AO and we towelled them up
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Crows have the worlds most annoying crow sound on the scoreboard after they kick a goal, if you count that as entertianment.... lucky it didn't get too much of a workout last year when I went to the AO and we towelled them up
    Have you heard the trumpet they use at Metricon?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Have you heard the trumpet they use at Metricon?
    Yep - its pretty damn annoying as well!

I'm heading up for the game up there this year as well, but hopefully they'll still be going poorly and we won't have to hear it too often.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Crows have the world's most annoying crow sound on the scoreboard after they kick a goal, if you count that as entertianment.... lucky it didn't get too much of a workout last year when I went to the AO and we towelled them up
    Like Graham Kennedy's?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021