Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2 Port Adelaide v Swans

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    A small item but an exciting one: Buddy's occasional cameo role as a wrecking ball in the middle.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    A small item but an exciting one: Buddy's occasional cameo role as a wrecking ball in the middle.
    Seemed like there was quite a bit of "Unsociable footy" from the Swans. Maybe we learned something from the GF after all.

It was my first visit to Adelaide oval and I was fortunate enough to be sitting some of our most dedicated and loyal supporters, I speak of course, of the cheer squad. The organisation required and the cooperation necessary for undertakings as simple as a run through banner is enormous. They are a great bunch and it was a fantastic night.
    The football was pretty impressive and seeing it up close and personal was a very different experience from my usual aerie up in the noble stand.
    The game was won by our midfield and secured by our defence. Our forwards were great taking advantage of the opportunities and whilst port were clearly below their best I believe that was more a function of our intense desire rather than their lack.

On the Rookie List
    In awe of our performance last night. Need to keep a lid on it though. It's a long season and we need to be playing like this at the end of the season. Just as the Cats went on to greater things after a devastating loss to us in the semi final in 2005, I hope our boys continue to draw inspiration from the disappointment of that last Saturday in September 2014.

great coaching

relentless effort

I would like to add that this week included TWO very very good decision makers and they got lots of minutes in McVeigh and Lloyd

Last week Lloyd only go 1 qtr and Goodes had 3 qtrs and this to be swappped around and for Macca to be back just shows that when you win that inside ball and you have elite decision makers receiving the ball.........well it is icing on the cake !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    How good was his hit on Boak?!

- - - Updated - - -

Really liked the way Reid and Laidler were able to zone off their opponents and come over the top to help out Ted and Reg...Reid is getting better with every game, could be a genuinely good CHB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    The Swans tore em apart - for four quarters .....
    That Crappy song at the start didn't work ... Songs are for post match ...
    Yes, you're sort of asking for your team to be torn apart, by playing the song, Never Tear Us Apart. Maybe they could have played something at the end of the game, to match the general mood of the Port supporters? Simon and Garfunkel's, The Sounds Of Silence, perhaps?

Senior Player
    I'm about to fly home. Looking forward to watching the replay on tv

As others have said, that was just the way we need to play to challenge for the cup. Great balanced performance, and pleasantly unsociable.

A few comments and observations:

• Tippett is our best ruckman. Wish we had 2 of him.
    • Reg looks like a mudder, but plays so much better on a dry track. And he was really good. In fact, credit to the whole defensive group played so well together.
    • Great to see Macca and little macca (Jake Lloyd) in the 21. Jake fits in so well. A quick and good decision maker. One thing I like is that after a goal, he starts counting the players on the field and signalling to the bench, just like our captains do. Smart players that can kick well are so valuable.
    • At the end of last season I thought Shaw should have retired and was pleased Goodes decided to play on. It should have been the other way around. Rhyce is looking very solid so far this year, while Goodes, sadly, because I'm a big fan, looks a bit off the pace.
    • Towers is looking good for an 8 gamer. He still has a way to go and hopefully continues to improve.
    • Rohan is beginning to display his prodigious talent. He could be a Dangerfield type player. He's getting more involved and hopefully that continues. It could be one of the factors that brings team improvement this year.
    • Our other talent from the 2009 draft, Jetta, is looking to be setting himself for a big year. Good to see both he and Rohan involved in the offence and the scoring.
    • I was a bit surprised that Reid played back after making Goodes the sub. I like the forward line with Tippo, Buddy and the 2 bookend speedsters in Towers and Rohan. Reid is starting to get the knack of playing defence. Could be a good move.

Outstanding performance from the first bounce to the final siren. Everyone played their role and we were relentless throughout. I could single out players but I won't, cos they were all wonderful.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

After you break a leg , you are never supposed to be the same again, so Rohan's recovery and return to the elite level is remarkable to say the least.

Senior Player
    We tore them apart!!!
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast