Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Round 2 Port Adelaide v Swans

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    All jokes aside, is there anything that the SCG could do in terms of pre-game entertainment to heighten the matchday experience?
    Obviously a NEAFL curtain raiser would be ideal but that's not always possible. Would it be a club-based decision and/or an SCG trust decision?
    In a traditionally non-AFL market, anything to enhance the match-day experience and potentially attract new groups of supporters/members couldn't be a bad thing
    Some years ago, we used to always have an entertainment act of some sort before all SCG games (can't remember exactly when - all the years blur in my memory). It was often the cast from whatever show was in town at the time. I remember American marching bands, once - that was fun.

But really, we go for the footy, not other stuff.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Just back in Sydney today after a few days in Adelaide. What a match! It was a fantastic experience sitting in a bay full of Swans' fans cheering till we were hoarse. Needless to say my two Adelaide rellies (who are Port fans but mercifully sat elsewhere in the ground) were considerably less enthusiastic!

I noted earlier in this thread that there were a few narky comments about the Port fans singing of INXS�s �Never Tear Us Apart� before the first bounce. For those unaware of the reasons Port Adelaide has adopted that song, the following is a potted history as I understand it.

There was a quite bitter internal struggle behind the entry of the Port Adelaide FC into the AFL (which was initially blocked by South Australian legal action by those who went on to push for the creation of the Adelaide Crows). While the Port Adelaide FC dates back to 1870 and it wore black and white from 1902 and hence was called the �Magpies�, when the club eventually did enter the AFL in 1997, conditions were imposed that forced it to do so as an entirely separate entity from its SA state league team (which was from then on called �Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club�), and it had to adopt new colours (black, white, teal and silver), and a new nickname (the �Power�). In 2010 a strong movement developed to reunite the �two Port Adelaides� as a single club. This was achieved in 2011 and from 2012 Port Adelaide members have been members of the united Port Adelaide Football Club.

This then led to the adoption of the INXS song as homage to the club�s heritage and as a statement that never again would they allow their club to be �torn apart�. It is symbolically quite emotional for their fans, just as our wearing of the letters �SMFC� and referring to our team as �the Bloods� is to us. I for one respect that.
    All these conditions because of a certain club who is not as old, won as many premierships, etc.

The AFL is the only league in the world where club are not allow to have the same colours, or black and white.

About time the VFL grew up!
    doof-doof

Round 2 Port Adelaide v Swans

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Worst Matt80 idea yet, surely not serious ?
    Are you kidding? Finally Matt80 is talking sense!

Only improvement I can suggest is that our pre-game entertainment be referred to as "The Maguire Show"

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    ... In an article on Sam Reid, he states that he had some match day entertainment ideas for the Swans marketing department after he attended some Sports games on a trip to the USA.
    That is because it is the US and they expect it.
    Who would pay for it here? From most RWO responses, and we know they are indicative of the wider community :-P , I believe most would prefer cheaper tickets/membership than paying for pre game entertainment that is only paying to part of a crowd, filling time until the real show starts.
    Unless it is to farewell a champion, or reserves/celebrity game.

I can't enter this discussion otherwise I will be smashed by peddling Corporate America.
    Ahhhh, you are learning Matt
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Of course the football is the centre piece , but The Port match day experience is pretty bloody good. I'm sure there would be a similar atmosphere at crows games but I'll try to get to a Port game every year, I love the pre game 'never tear us a part' rendition, its great! Also , Did anyone venture into the village pre game? Food trucks selling gourmet street food, some music, sangria stalls, beers etc. obviously this wouldn't be as viable in Melbourne with so many games on here every weekend but something like that in the other two club towns could work. Nice touch I though.

That's it then, I'm going back to my Ol hometown for the Port game next year to see what's happened to transform them from The Sound of Music to They will Never Tear us Apart .
    Do they still walk out at three quarter time if they are being

- - - Updated - - -

Bloused ?

Actually the AFL has asked all clubs to 'enhance their home game experience' as part of the push to broaden spectator appeal (along with abandoning differential ticket prices, cheaper pies etc.). I seem to recall I read someone from the Swans (Pridham perhaps?) say that the Swans were planning a couple of things but mainly they would focus on the football.

'The AFL will monitor the upgraded match-day experiences of all clubs, in a bid to ease fears an "arms race" could eventuate. All clubs have embraced the need to provide supporters with more excitement and a more tribal nature on game day, but some have privately expressed concerns this could turn into another "contest".'

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...28-13rgtl.html

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    If you come up with something that puts more bums on seats then go got it. A winning footy team at family friendly time slots are the best things for crowd numbers.
    Decent beer perhaps???

Before we leave the topic of last Saturday night's match, I would be grateful if someone could tell me what Mike Pyke was penalised for in a ball-up down the southern end of Adelaide Oval. Our Swans' seats were at the northern end so I couldn't see what happened but Mike was certainly upset about it. The resultant free kick led to a 'gimme' goal. I'm not saying the umpire's decision was wrong, I'm just interested to know what happened.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Before we leave the topic of last Saturday night's match, I would be grateful if someone could tell me what Mike Pyke was penalised for in a ball-up down the southern end of Adelaide Oval. Our Swans' seats were at the northern end so I couldn't see what happened but Mike was certainly upset about it. The resultant free kick led to a 'gimme' goal. I'm not saying the umpire's decision was wrong, I'm just interested to know what happened.
    The umpire indicated that he had blocked Ryder's run at the ball in a ruck contest. Pyke was arguing that he was contesting the contest himself - quite legitimately, one would think, given he is a ruckman and he did get hand to ball. There was no other Swans ruckman contesting the throw-up.

Some of the ruck contest rules are very technical and I can't say for sure the umpire got this wrong. But Mike did seem to have a point. Possibly why the umpire adjudicated the way he did was that Pyke took his eye off the ball and looked to see where Ryder was as the ball was being bounced. It has always seemed dumb to me that a player is considered to be blocking another when they take their eye of the ball, even where they are clearly in the ruck or marking contest themselves and not primarily there to shepherd for a team mate. But it is an interpretation umpires quite often apply.

Surely the fundamental interpretation, whether it be a mark or ruck, should be that it can't be a block if you get your hand to the ball. Pyke's contact was a legitimate shepherd to protect the space where the ball was dropping. Ruckmen throw their bodies against each other to do this all the time. It only looked bad because Ryder wasn't prepared for it.

This interpretation was backed up on Whistleblowers regarding the Hurley-Franklin contest the week prior (who, by the way, were absolutely gaga this week over the unquestionable legitimacy of the Reid 50-metre penalty for the world's softest hand in the back).

A classic example of a block was Schultz on Reid, where there was no intention at all to contest for the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    This interpretation was backed up on Whistleblowers regarding the Hurley-Franklin contest the week prior (who, by the way, were absolutely gaga this week over the unquestionable legitimacy of the Reid 50-metre penalty for the world's softest hand in the back).
    What is this " Whistleblowers" thing of which you speak and where can it be viewed?