Page 11 of 129 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade target discussion (merged thread)

Have heard through convoluted sources that Dan Robbo has requested a trade to Melb.
    Apparently Roos is a fan,

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    Have heard through convoluted sources that Dan Robbo has requested a trade to Melb.
    Apparently Roos is a fan,
    It's a fact of life that we'll quite often have players move elsewhere for opportunities but I'm a bit disappointed in Robbo as he is a Sydney Boy and I think he is taking the soft option to be honest. He is 100% replaceable

Were we to bundle up Robbo and Craig Bird, who I imagine Roosy also rates, then surely that would be worth their second round draft pick? Or maybe their third pick and an upgrade on our second round pick. We'd need that to fund some points for the Mills and (hopefully) Dunks when they get drafted.

They would give some good depth to the Dees as Roosy is really struggling there and they need 9 wins minimum next year or his job will be under scrutiny (errrrrm, maybe not but you know what I mean ). My point is they may be prepared to pay decent draft picks for ready made players. Petracca will be back for next year so that's three ins straight away. Add in a free agent and they might finally get

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    It's a fact of life that we'll quite often have players move elsewhere for opportunities but I'm a bit disappointed in Robbo as he is a Sydney Boy and I think he is taking the soft option to be honest. He is 100% replaceable
    I don't think it's fair to describe a request to another club as "the soft option" in a situation like this. The reality is that none of our midfielders is particularly close to retirement and Robinson is some way back in the queue. Mills will arrive next year and probably leap frog Robbo in the queue if his body holds together. Dunkley may arrive too.

Think back to 2009 when a young JPK was frustrated by his lack of opportunity so shifted up to Sydney. Was that taking the soft option?

Sometimes players just find themselves at the wrong club to get a chance to show what they've got.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hewett sought a trade (or just delisted himself) for similar reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Hewett sought a trade (or just delisted himself) for similar reasons.
    Tom Harley made a point near the end of the last injury report that Hewett was seen as a long term player for the Swans. With all due respect to Robinson, who has played well, I can see him struggling to crack into a strong midfield. But Hewett will be a walk up starter in just about any senior side in a couple of years. I would hope to see him playing a fair bit of senior footy next season. It would be a terrible failure by our club if we failed to retain such a highly valued recruit.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I've just watched most of the second quarter against Aspley and I think Hewett needs to work on his disposal by hand. Too many end up as handovers. But let's see what happens next quarter.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't think it's fair to describe a request to another club as "the soft option" in a situation like this. The reality is that none of our midfielders is particularly close to retirement and Robinson is some way back in the queue. Mills will arrive next year and probably leap frog Robbo in the queue if his body holds together. Dunkley may arrive too.

Think back to 2009 when a young JPK was frustrated by his lack of opportunity so shifted up to Sydney. Was that taking the soft option?

Sometimes players just find themselves at the wrong club to get a chance to show what they've got.

I agree I am probably being a bit harsh, I just thought that as an academy kid who we have given the chance that he would stay and fight for his spot and learn and not have his head turned by the first suitor.

Then again, if the Dees offer him a three year deal on decent coin then how could you possibly blame him

Possible Trade Bait from our current list

* Bird
    * Robbo
    * Lloydy
    * Towers
    * Derrickx

Guys we see as taking the step up and playing seniors in 2016
    * Davis
    * Hewett
    * Rose
    * Mills
    * Dunks

Can see us trading Bird and one other

* Bird
    * Robbo
    * Lloydy
    * Towers
    * Derrickx

Guys we see as taking the step up and playing seniors in 2016
    * Davis
    * Hewett
    * Rose
    * Mills
    * Dunks

Very optimistic re: 'trade bait' list...

IMO, Bird about 2nd- 3rd round, Lloyd about 3rd round. Nothing for Towers, Derrickx or Robinson.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Very optimistic re: trading out list...

IMO, Bird about 2nd- 3rd round, Lloyd about 3rd round. Nothing for Towers, Derrickx or Robinson..Their 'trade bait' value is zilch.
    I'd think Robbo would be worth something if Roos wants him. I know I've banged on about this but Bird and Robbo for an early second round pick?

I'd like to keep Towers as I think he is a good squad player and I place Lloyd in the same category.

* Bird
    * Robbo
    * Lloydy
    * Towers
    * Derrickx

It just wouldn't be the end of the home and away season without the start of some trade talk. I can just see the headlines ...

Bird Flies the Coop.jpg

Bye bye Birdie.jpg

Just don't want to see this one though!

The Dark Side.jpg
    Last edited by goswannies; 30th August 2015 at 06:41 PM.

Hampton for Bird ?

Curtly Hampton - GWSGIANTS.com.au

Hampton for me has a lot of upside not yet built into his price

With Shaw leaving end of the season, Mal leaving last year and the area we need still to build is our backline rotation.........I suspect that a fair trade with GWS would be Hampton for Birdy

My other thought is that Smithy is 28 next season and we need to forward plan

We have Laidler and Zac Jones who will be an important part of our backline............but I would really like to see Zac push into the midfield rotation like his brother in 2016 onwards
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Curtly Hampton - GWSGIANTS.com.au

Hampton for me has a lot of upside not yet built into his price

With Shaw leaving end of the season, Mal leaving last year and the area we need still to build is our backline rotation.........I suspect that a fair trade with GWS would be Hampton for Birdy

My other thought is that Smithy is 28 next season and we need to forward plan

We have Laidler and Zac Jones who will be an important part of our backline............but I would really like to see Zac push into the midfield rotation like his brother in 2016 onwards
    Would love to get him. Has a lot of talent that has so far been unfulfilled. Not sure if we'd go for him and not sure where he's from originally but if Jetta leaves he could be a decent replacement.