Page 9 of 129 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade target discussion (merged thread)

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by desredandwhite View Post
    Pykey has signed to the end of 2016. I doubt we could get a trade for him so I daresay he WILL still be there next year.

In any case, Sam just has to stay patient. There's spots for those good enough and/or durable enough.
    If his knee doesn't hold up he and all he gets is 2nds games he would most likely retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    If his knee doesn't hold up he and all he gets is 2nds games he would most likely retire.
    The impression I have of Mike is that he would see his contract out, either mentoring the next generation or in the hope that he will earn a senior game. He seems to be (rightly IMO) very proud of his work ethic & his achievements.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    The impression I have of Mike is that he would see his contract out, either mentoring the next generation or in the hope that he will earn a senior game. He seems to be (rightly IMO) very proud of his work ethic & his achievements.
    That may be the case but if he is doing harm to his knee it might be in his best interest to stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    That may be the case but if he is doing harm to his knee it might be in his best interest to stop playing.
    Footballers don't often take into account "best interests" when the end of their careers are looming. "You're a long time retired"

Pyke will not be playing seniors next year

Good servant thanks!

I'm not sure we'd have enough room in the salary cap to chase an expensive free agent, even if the trade restrictions didn't exist. And even if we found a way to juggle it, it would probably just be setting us up for future pain in losing existing players that we just couldn't offer enough to retain.

It is crazy though there wasn't some sort of 'net result' provision in our penalty - in theory we could trade out Franklin and Tippett and still only sign mediocre players on $350K or less.

The AFL are also selective in what they strictly enforce re: contracts and what they are flexible about - Gold Coast offer Malceski a guaranteed coaching role post-career to sweeten a huge contract and that's apparently OK.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    ........The AFL are also selective in what they strictly enforce re: contracts and what they are flexible about - Gold Coast offer Malceski a guaranteed coaching role post-career to sweeten a huge contract and that's apparently OK.
    That kind of incentive must be inVISYble at VFL House :-)

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    That kind of incentive must be inVISYble at VFL House :-)
    Nice
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

just thinking laterally re trying to get a player traded in that maybe worth more then $350k pa

we can't bring in a player for a one year contract then give them a bigger two year contract straight after

but we could bring in say a Will Minson and pay him 3 years at $350k pa when the Dogs are only offering say two years at $450k pa as our over all contract is higher

i believe Will is on contract till end of 2016
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

ie a player near the end of their career and Will is 30yrs of age and some clubs might be concerned giving 3 years to a player at this age
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Regular in the Side
    Is there any young key back at GWS who isn't getting a game and could seek a shift.