Page 55 of 129 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade target discussion (merged thread)

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    For a start Bullies are delisting Talia due to the incident. I doubt we will need a first round draft pick for him. We may need it for Zac Smith though.
    Where did you hear Talia was being delisted? He's leaving the Dogs, but don't see why the they would delist him when clubs would be willing to trade for him. If they wanted to 'punish' him they would just force him to enter the draft rather than let him be a free agent.

I figure Talia is worth around 500 value points which equates to a pick 36. For us, we can give up a first rounder worth 1000 points and perhaps get back 600 points in later picks and we would be ahead of the game, since they will all be going for Mills and Dunkley.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't understand this keenness to basically give Bird away for close to nothing. Robbo too. Many posters spent much of 2015 bemoaning our lack of experienced depth. Bird is close to the only truly experienced depth we have. When he's fit, he is a pretty good player. He managed to keep Mitchell out of the side for most of 2014, after all. He has a couple of top 10 BS medal finishes under his belt. He's in the prime age bracket. He's contracted. He's also a local(ish) boy, though that should matter less.

I realise that, for team balance, it is hard to fit all of JPK, Parker, Bird and Mitchell into the side. But as we saw this year, it's pretty easy to lose one of them. Bird would have been straight in for Parker at the end of the year had he himself not had an injury interrupted season and thus wasn't match fit for senior football. I realise that this makes Bird semi-expendable if we need to sacrifice a quality player (in addition to Jetta) to secure a good youngish defender and a quality ruckman. To me, that doesn't equate to basically giving him to Melbourne for a 3rd round pick, let allowing throwing Robinson in for good measure.

If some other club comes knocking and is willing to give up some decent trade currency in return, sure listen to what they have to say. But otherwise why wouldn't the club keep him, knowing that once he's fit he's a reasonable chance of securing a best 22 position on merit, and even if he's the 23rd or 24th player on the list, that still makes him a very valuable part of the 2016 playing list?
    I think the Bird situation is troubling if you look at the mids we have coming through Liz. Perris, Mills to be drafted, Heeney going into the mids next year, Robbo would have been in before Bird if he wasn't injured. Unfortunately Birdy has fallen down the pecking order. Even Hewett will pass him next year I think, he has more ups as his delivery is far better, his age and his ability to control play. Birdie is basically a tagger now but I think he would be invaluable to a team like Suns in the role he played before he was used more as a tagger. At times in his tagger role too. I think our coaches are looking at who is going to be in the picture for the future and who is on the periphery. Unfortunately I think Birdie is on the periphery.

We would be really smart to look at Smith and Talia ( if he did indeed give secrets away I think his big mouth can by stuffed with socks an gaffer tape after every team meeting). Luenberger has injury concerns and he wasn't even first ruck at Lions in the end, Martin was. We can deal three or four ways with Jetts. In other words if they give us a first round for Jetts we might be able to deal with other clubs with that in hand. Smith would be a good second round trade so we get to keep two first rounders. Talia is on the market, sacked. They don't want him around so the question must be asked; what will they want for him or are they just going to let him go to the preseason draft?

You Just Do Not Get a Better Grand Final Win Than That

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooloo View Post
    Could be if he gets and stays fit, which he will have to, if he comes to us and wants to be picked! Could be a good replacement for Jetta, has pace and is clever, consistency is his main challenge, it seems. Worthy of consideration IMO. PS; Just noticed where you're from Dooloo......good ol' 'Maine. There's actually quite a lot of Swans support here, and Roosy's parents live in Campbell's Creek! Go Swans....

He turns 29 next year. Is he one of the bombers who is effected by the WADA situation? He got suspended at the end of the season he'll miss the starting games. 10 years at Essendon has played only 119 games

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't understand this keenness to basically give Bird away for close to nothing. Robbo too. Many posters spent much of 2015 bemoaning our lack of experienced depth. Bird is close to the only truly experienced depth we have. When he's fit, he is a pretty good player. He managed to keep Mitchell out of the side for most of 2014, after all. He has a couple of top 10 BS medal finishes under his belt. He's in the prime age bracket. He's contracted. He's also a local(ish) boy, though that should matter less.

I realise that, for team balance, it is hard to fit all of JPK, Parker, Bird and Mitchell into the side. But as we saw this year, it's pretty easy to lose one of them. Bird would have been straight in for Parker at the end of the year had he himself not had an injury interrupted season and thus wasn't match fit for senior football. I realise that this makes Bird semi-expendable if we need to sacrifice a quality player (in addition to Jetta) to secure a good youngish defender and a quality ruckman. To me, that doesn't equate to basically giving him to Melbourne for a 3rd round pick, let allowing throwing Robinson in for good measure.

If some other club comes knocking and is willing to give up some decent trade currency in return, sure listen to what they have to say. But otherwise why wouldn't the club keep him, knowing that once he's fit he's a reasonable chance of securing a best 22 position on merit, and even if he's the 23rd or 24th player on the list, that still makes him a very valuable part of the 2016 playing list?
    Liz, I think there was some talk around a couple of months ago that Robbo was looking for a trade to Melbourne. I think that is the basis for a lot of the chat about him.

As far as Bird goes I am a fan but it seems that the selectors were determined not to play him because his form in the Ressies was better than McGlynns, which was poor, yet he was selected in front of Bird. The talk about him going seems pretty much based on the perceived attitude of the coaches to him.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Where did you hear Talia was being delisted? He's leaving the Dogs, but don't see why the they would delist him when clubs would be willing to trade for him. If they wanted to 'punish' him they would just force him to enter the draft rather than let him be a free agent.

I figure Talia is worth around 500 value points which equates to a pick 36. For us, we can give up a first rounder worth 1000 points and perhaps get back 600 points in later picks and we would be ahead of the game, since they will all be going for Mills and Dunkley.
    We get a first round point for Jetts

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Liz, I think there was some talk around a couple of months ago that Robbo was looking for a trade to Melbourne. I think that is the basis for a lot of the chat about him.

As far as Bird goes I am a fan but it seems that the selectors were determined not to play him because his form in the Ressies was better than McGlynns, which was poor, yet he was selected in front of Bird. The talk about him going seems pretty much based on the perceived attitude of the coaches to him.

I don't think Birdie or Bennie have ong term futures at our club. I think they will both be traded out this trading period.

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    He turns 29 next year. Is he one of the bombers who is effected by the WADA situation? He got suspended at the end of the season he'll miss the starting games. 10 years at Essendon has played only 119 games
    makes sense to me.........we need more options and experience off that HBF and would be a value signing with upside for 2 seasons
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

i agree Dempsey is not our sort of player. He is a grandstander not a long term in the frey player. I am not talking about in and under I am talking about getting his feet wet and his hands dirty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post

I don't know who started the rumour Robbo wanted a trade to Dees. But my info is he is VERY HAPPY where he is.

- - - Updated - - -

just read the Dempsay article and it is bull@@@@ put out by his management to get interest in his playing career.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    makes sense to me.........we need more options and experience off that HBF and would be a value signing with upside for 2 seasons
    If true i think the swans are hoping its similar to Shaw came as a 27 yo and played almost 150 games for us and 9 years at the pies managed only 90 odd. Prefer someone like Nic Newman to be given the opportunity.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    If true i think the swans are hoping its similar to Shaw came as a 27 yo and played almost 150 games for us and 9 years at the pies managed only 90 odd. Prefer someone like Nic Newman to be given the opportunity.
    Nick is a talent.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!