Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 6 V Demons

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    For me towers is replaced by heeney. At present I don't have mcglynn in the senior team especially with Mitchell having come in because there are too many similar players to him.
    My like-for-like replacements are:

Goodes - Heeney (crumbing forward)
    Shaw - Jones (half back)
    Towers - McGlynn (whatever the hell Towers was supposed to be - half forward flank?)

Reid bolsters our defence and Lloyd can do what Cunningham does but with better decision making and skills.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    My like-for-like replacements are:

Goodes - Heeney (crumbing forward)
    Shaw - Jones (half back)
    Towers - McGlynn (whatever the hell Towers was supposed to be - half forward flank?)

Reid bolsters our defence and Lloyd can do what Cunningham does but with better decision making and skills.
    We are mostly thinking along pretty similar lines. I doubt they will be brave enough to drop shaw but hopefully having dropped Goodes a few weeks ago they will be brave enough to.

I suspect if shaw is omitted then Goodes will get another chance. I honestly can't see them dropping both in the same game so my proposed changes won't happen but like always I am awaiting Thursday evening eagerly

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    If we can afford to give Adam another game, that would be good. Perhaps he'll be better for the run, bolstered by the couple of goals. I feel that if he is dropped again now, it will only be injuries that sees him come back. I'd like to see him have a little run of games, to give him a chance of proving he should still be in the team. Two goals, twelve possessions on Saturday - push that up to 2.5 goals, 16-18 possessions a game then he's worth his place in the team.

My changes:
    OUT: Towers, Cunningham
    IN: Reid, Heeney

I'd like to see if Towers can dominate for the reserves. I doubt that he can/will, but let's see.
    I expect goodes will probably have until the mid season break to cement his spot (with maybe him missing the Hawks game). I honestly don't think he is in our best 22 when everyone is fit anymore, but happy for him to prove me very wrong. If he doesn't show good improvement over that time, I think that will be it.

The biggest issue I have is not how much he gets the pill, or whether he is getting goals, it is in terms of what he actually does with the footy when he gets it. He always seems to now look for that extra second or two, which often leads to a poor disposal under pressure, or disposing to a team-mate poorly positioned, or even making promising plays break down. These aren't quantifiable aspects per say (outside of clanger counts), but in the last couple of seasons its become an increasingly obvious part of the game where he is struggling. Without the pace he one had when younger, he simply needs to make a decision quicker and get rid of it quicker - otherwise he just sells himself and invariably his team mates into trouble. He certainly hasn't been the only offender on this part this year so far, but it is glaringly obvious at times.

In addition, the modern game simply doesn't allow for unaccountable forwards anymore, and given Goodes really can only fit in the team up forward (As he doesn't have the tank to play midfield), then this is a real problem. Good teams took advantage of it last year, good teams will look to take advantage again this year.

The question for the coaches is as a whole, are we a better team with a fading superstar in it that invariably is going to do some good things in a game but probably struggle to make a significant impact most weeks, or are we better off getting another younger player in, that will make mistakes as well, but also fit in better with the 'pressing' game we employ when playing well, and probably bring a better overall balance to the team. No easy answer to that, as Longmire and co are finding out.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Time to shuffle the deck chairs....

OUT : Towers, Goodes, Cunningham

IN : McGlynn, Reid, Heeney

I'd like to see Jones get a chance, when he's fit.
    Yep, I'd take that.

Would really like to give Jones a chance and thinking maybe Shaw could be the one to make way.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I expect goodes will probably have until the mid season break to cement his spot (with maybe him missing the Hawks game). I honestly don't think he is in our best 22 when everyone is fit anymore, but happy for him to prove me very wrong. If he doesn't show good improvement over that time, I think that will be it.

The biggest issue I have is not how much he gets the pill, or whether he is getting goals, it is in terms of what he actually does with the footy when he gets it. He always seems to now look for that extra second or two, which often leads to a poor disposal under pressure, or disposing to a team-mate poorly positioned, or even making promising plays break down. These aren't quantifiable aspects per say (outside of clanger counts), but in the last couple of seasons its become an increasingly obvious part of the game where he is struggling. Without the pace he one had when younger, he simply needs to make a decision quicker and get rid of it quicker - otherwise he just sells himself and invariably his team mates into trouble. He certainly hasn't been the only offender on this part this year so far, but it is glaringly obvious at times.

In addition, the modern game simply doesn't allow for unaccountable forwards anymore, and given Goodes really can only fit in the team up forward (As he doesn't have the tank to play midfield), then this is a real problem. Good teams took advantage of it last year, good teams will look to take advantage again this year.

The question for the coaches is as a whole, are we a better team with a fading superstar in it that invariably is going to do some good things in a game but probably struggle to make a significant impact most weeks, or are we better off getting another younger player in, that will make mistakes as well, but also fit in better with the 'pressing' game we employ when playing well, and probably bring a better overall balance to the team. No easy answer to that, as Longmire and co are finding out.
    This is a pretty honest appraisal of Adam's situation . He seems to think he has the footy smarts to take the extra time to weigh up his options , which might have worked when he was more elusive, more agile etc , but now it often leads to a stuff up.
    Judd and Pav are getting on too, but they still make quick and usually correct decisions . Adam is still extremely capable , but I watched him barking instructions and trying to direct traffic from a fair way off the ball on the weekend and began to seriously wonder about his role .
    Coaches must get a lot of headaches thinking about so many players under their care and what to do about each of them , especially when their form is inconsistent.
    I thought GWS were excellent against us , but they were humiliated in the west.
    Hard to fathom .

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    I thought GWS were excellent against us , but they were humiliated in the west.
    Hard to fathom .
    I thought The Swans were excellent against (fill in blank) _____________________ , but they were humiliated in the wet.
    Hard to fathom

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    I wouldn't mind seeing how Gaz goes with stints in the midfield...his contested ball around the ground seems to have improved and he's been really clean below his knees of late. His kicking is generally pretty good and his breakaway speed is very similar to a Dangerfield type. If we've got Mitchell/Kennedy etc getting first hands on the ball having someone like him to receive could be really dangerous. Obviously his tank won't allow huge midfield minutes but a stint here and there would be good to see.

Compared to the other top teams we seem to change our starting mids the least...the Hawks are masters at it and Geelong when they were dominant rarely had the same quartet in back to back centre bounces.

I know he's out of form at the moment but I think Rampe could be used similarly.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    I think the defence were basically the cause for our loss. Without the poor decisions and execution we would have conceded at least 4 goals less and probably scored more on transition.

Next week I think shaw should be omitted for punishment as anything else. Rampe maybe as well...
    A bit harsh on the defence when I remember seeing the Dogs streaming through the middle with very little pressure on them a lot of the time.

A bit off topic but I would have liked to have seen Shaw play as a defensive forward on Murphy.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    A bit harsh on the defence when I remember seeing the Dogs streaming through the middle with very little pressure on them a lot of the time.

A bit off topic but I would have liked to have seen Shaw play as a defensive forward on Murphy.
    It was once we had the ball in hand that the problems arose. We were awful in getting the ball out of defence. Partly due to pressure but our kick ins were woeful. All in all I can't remember more turnovers due directly to poor options or execution from the backline.

Trouble is that it is really hard to crack the Swans team but once there it seems hard to get out of it. Loyalty is great and builds a strong culture but someone should be held accountable for Saturday's performance.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by moocher View Post
    It was once we had the ball in hand that the problems arose. We were awful in getting the ball out of defence. Partly due to pressure but our kick ins were woeful. All in all I can't remember more turnovers due directly to poor options or execution from the backline.

Trouble is that it is really hard to crack the Swans team but once there it seems hard to get out of it. Loyalty is great and builds a strong culture but someone should be held accountable for Saturday's performance.
    Does that mean Mitchell won't get dropped ?

I think Shaw needs a good slap (metaphorical of course) and would like to see him spend a week in the ressies. Having said that, players driven by fear i.e. I've made some mistakes and therefore going to be dropped isn't the best motivation or duress for players to be under.

Outs: Shaw, Towers and Goodes.
    Ins: Jones, B. Jack and either Marsh or Hewitt.

Time for some new blood. The mix we have on the field is clearly not working as we would all hope.

I'd really like a journalist to ask Longmire whether conditions like forecasted rain play a factor in his selection process.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast